Hackle Stacker Rusty Spinner SBS

Discussion in 'Fly Tying Step by Step' started by ScottP, May 2, 2014.

1. ScottP

ScottP Active Member

[​IMG]

Got the idea for this from a Hendrickson spinner version I saw on the Gates Au Sable lodge site. Probably not going to take the place of Barr's Hi-viz spinner for me, but a fun exercise in affixing hair and feathers to a hook. Bob Quigley's Hackle-stackers use mono for the post but I like how the hackle bites and holds the foam, and the tag end makes a neat head.

hook - Mustad 94840 #14
    thread - MFC 8/0 brown
    tail - moose body
    body - deer hair rust
    rib - tying thread
    wing - Congo Hair white
    post - foam
    hackle - silver badger
    thorax - dubbing rust

mash barb, start thread at 70% mark; wrap back to point above barb

[​IMG]

clean, stack, measure (little longer than shank) some moose hair

[​IMG]

tie in, trim butts, smooth with thread wraps, return to 70% mark

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

clean, stack, measure (tips should extend to the back of the bend) a sparse clump (enough to encircle the shank but not much more) of deer

[​IMG]

2 soft loops, slowly apply/release/apply tension and let the hair surround the hook shank

[​IMG]

spiral rib to the bend, then a couple tight wraps to flare the tips; return crossing wraps to 70% mark, tie off, trim, smooth with thread

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tie in a strip (1mm x 1mm) of craft foam, then hackle

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tie in a hank of CH, then Figure-8 it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dub thread, dub thorax

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

twist the tips of the CH to keep it out of the way (thank you Charlie Craven)

[​IMG]

wind the hackle up the post equal to length of thorax; a gallows tool of some sort would really come in handy here to keep the post up and under tension (I won't show you what I kludged together)

[​IMG]

then back down; tie hackle off and trim

[​IMG]

separate the wing, then pull the hackle forward and over the thorax; tie down at eye, then a few wraps in front of foam to raise the head

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

half hitch x 2, SHHAN, trim head, trim wing (pull it back and trim even with hook bend)

[​IMG]

dorsal

[​IMG]

ventral

[​IMG]

Regards,
    Scott

plaegreid and McNasty like this.
  2. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    I always like the challenge of tying a mono post hackle stacker without a gallows tool (lots of finger tension and dexterity required). Cool adaptation to tie on the foam post. With all of that congo hair I'm not sure the hackle is even necessary/visible.