Hall of fame

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by KerryS, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Todd Burt

Todd Burt New Member

Media:
    Scott O'Donnell
    Mike Kinney
    Mike McCune
    Bob Clay

2. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Media:
    Tedd Johnson
    Joe williams

3. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

Any steelheaders in the hall of fame without cool sounding names? :clown:

4. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

The late Mike Maxwell pretty much started it all .

5. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

Media:
    My vote goes to the Goodwill Ambassodor of Spey Casting - Poppy at the Red Shed. He has probably helped to get a lot of people into the sprort of Spey Casting. And he has a cool name..

6. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Kerry,

First on the list would be Jimmy Green. Jimmy brought the 2 handed rod to the PNW around 1983 if I recall correctly. He didn't fish it well at the time because he couldn't be persuaded that steelhead didn't like 130' out on Sauk Bar. But he promoted the use of 2 handed rods for PNW steelhead fishing, not just for distance, but for line control and presentation. Which leads me to . . .

Second on the list would be Bob Strobel and Harry Lemire. But for these three people, no one else listed in this thread so far, minus Maxwell, but he was in BC, would have fished 2 handed rods for PNW steelhead because there would not have been any two handed rods made by the PNW premier rod companies. It was Jimmy's rod design experiments, and Bob's and Harry's field trials that led to the development of the Sage 9140-4, the first really functional PNW Spey rod in the late 1980s. I had one of Jimmy's numerous prototypes; they were all 16' long and real thundersticks. Harry obtained the second two handed fly rod I ever saw, a 12' Leonard bamboo, which he uncased one day on the Sky, and had no idea how to go about using it. That didn't last long. After the 9140-4 took off, so did PNW Spey fishing as Farrar, Ward, Hogan, Kinney, O'Donnel, and the rest eagerly climbed aboard the Spey train.

An honorable mention ought to go to Eric Maisonpierre, who showed Strobel and I the first two handed fly rod either of us had ever seen, a Sharps bamboo, on the NF Stilly in 1976. Eric knew how to handle that rod, but didn't understand the Stilly. After plying Bob with a bottomless bottle of wine that day, everything the Stilly had belonged to Eric. He was a skilled angler, who soon departed for bigger fish, litterally, in BC's north country.

Another honorable mention goes to Fenwick rod company which made a 12' 10 wt two handed rod that sold slightly in the UK and almost not at all in the US. I know of one angler who owned one, Eric mentioned above. This was before Sage began making two handed rods at Jimmy's behest and design.

There are undoubtedly more pertinent details useful to your 2-hander hall of fame, but that's all I can remember at the moment.

Sg

7. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    hey _G, didn't Goran Andersson turn Jimmy Green on to the DH about that time on a visit to Sage?

8. inland

inland Active Member

Salmo,

There were a couple of Portland area anglers (not guides) that started toying around with the long rod just a bit before the development of the orginal 9140. One in particular came up with a solution (no doubt he wasn't the first but the name has stuck) to fishing under the Alders on the Deschutes with the single hander. Poke it out there and then roll cast. When first learning to use a two hander he tried the same tactic to fix a bad cast. One thing led to another and now there is an entire style of two handed casting based off of a blown cast.

William

9. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    Me because I'm awesome

Just Kidding I suck

10. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Spaz,

I don't doubt an Andersson-Green connection, but I don't know about it. Jimmy knew most of the leading edge developers in rod design, which is a world I've never been a part of.

Inland,

Yeah, common ideas often evolve in different places around the same time. I see I left Al Buhr off the list, and Al was a friend of Jimmy's and was another early experimenter who helped develop some of the rod models. I'm not sure if he was involved in the development of the 9140-4 or not however.

Was that Perry? I've heard that story a couple times and versions. Soon this will be the stuff of myth and legend.

Sg

11. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Sg,

I will drink a glass of whiskey for you tonight, and I owe you a bottle if we have chance to meet. Great information. Thank you!

12. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Yuhina,

You don't owe me anything. However, if we do meet, and you do have a bottle laying about, I'm not above having a wee dram or two to go with friendly conversation.

Sg

13. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It already is; according to some.

14. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Yeah, it's kinda' funny when I see and hear people acting like that. The only thing funnier is running into someone who truly believes fly pattern matters with steelhead.

Sg

15. fullerfly

fullerfly Calvin Fuller

Media:
    It does matter Salmo. Any color works except clear.

16. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    You may have a point there Cal. I've never used a fly that color, nor do I know anyone who has tried it.

17. floatinghat

floatinghat Member

William,

How is CP doing? I used to run into him fairly regular above "G" creek or at "Boat Chaser". He is a great guy who is great fun to watch him work his way thru a run.

18. inland

inland Active Member

FH,

He is doing great. Life has slowed his fishing down...family can kinda do that. However he remains as passionate as ever.

William

19. floatinghat

floatinghat Member

Good to hear he still has the fire. Can you pm me his contact info.

20. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Lets drop a couple more names.

Charlie Gearheart - I think Dec mentioned him in his book. Taught many how to fish for steelhead or at least filled in a lot of the blanks.

Brad Adrian - Likely introduced the 2 handed rod to several of the "legends".