Hancock Timber & North Fork Snoqualmie

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by weirdwindknot, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Darryl Pahl

Darryl Pahl Active Member

I bought a pass this year for the first time. The main reason was to be able to fish close to home with my 12-year old daughter. I fish the Cedar a lot, and although you can get away from the yahoos, it's really an urban experience that's not always enjoyable. And I always have a bad feeling in the back of my mind about the chance of my vehicle being broken into - never had that feeling at the tree farm.

There's tons of skinny water and lakes that look great at least on paper at least. The NF looks fantastic from my scouting - although perhaps a little sterile. I've driven around a couple of times, once with the family, and once on my own. It's a vast area. Getting to the various rivers can be a challenge - there's not the helpful trails worn down to fishing access so some real bush whacking. But there is a sense of satisfaction getting to water that maybe no one has fished in years and may not fish again this season.

Will it be worth it? We'll see at the end of the summer.

Ed Call likes this.
  2. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

That's exactly the attitude you need to have for The Farm, Darryl. It'll be worth it to you I'll bet.

3. weirdwindknot

weirdwindknot New Member

bike fishing?

4. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Huh?

K

5. weirdwindknot

weirdwindknot New Member

drive. gear up. bike. fish. bike back. un-gear. drive home.

*ninja style*

Lex Story likes this.
  6. Kent Lufkin

Go for it, as long as you have your walk-in permit. It's a trespassing citation for the ninja if they catch you without one.

K

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

What do they say about kids, do each of them need a permit also???

8. Darryl Pahl

Kids under 19 are fine, but they need to be listed on the permit, as does your spouse. And if you list your spouse, you need to be legally married, you can't share your pass with a fishing buddy, unless you legally marry them. The permit holder needs to carry the permit and photo ID. But it's not as if my kids bring their passport or we bring our marriage license - so I assume there is some discretion as long as it looks more or less legit.

Below is the info from the website at https://hancockrecreationnw.com. There's a similar one for motorized access as well.

Just FYI, I've been there twice this year, and got checked by the Hancock security once. Not sure if the 50% checking rate will continue or if that is just a random event.
    Non-motorized Recreation Access for Families

Each person who walks, bicycles or rides an animal on Snoqualmie Forest must have a permit or be listed on a family permit. There are two types of permits available, individual permits and family permits. Family permits cost $150 and there are an unlimited number of permits available. For the purpose of this permit, family is defined as legally married spouses and their children less than 19 years of age.

9. jumbo215

jumbo215 Jasper hickman

sounds like a "ninja challenge" to me!

10. MountainTrout

MountainTrout Bacon-wrapped trout?

If the individual non-motorized permit costs $75....how much does a trespassing ticket cost? ;)

11. Kent Lufkin

When you find out, you can tell us.

K

12. MountainTrout

MountainTrout Bacon-wrapped trout?

Ha, no thanks. There seems to be plenty of free skinny water around that I'll go to before I pay $$.

13. weirdwindknot

weirdwindknot New Member

14. patcar13

patcar13 New Member

Hey Kent, thanks for the great stories. Any way to get copies of your maps? will to drive. :)

15. teedub

teedub Active Member

I wish I could remember....

16. Kent Lufkin

Thanks but no thanks!

K

17. Jay Burman

Jay Burman Experienced Ne'r do well and Layabout.

I just bought a pass. I hope its worth it. Has anyone fished Black Lake? Any other worthwhile lakes this year?

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  18. Darryl Pahl

Certainly all of the lakes are fishable and worthwhile, including Black. You're not going to get stocker triploids, but you will get some peace and quite.

Some like Black seem to be 100% rainbows, others lakes are 100% cutthroat, and other various other mixes, including Brook, RB, and CT in the same lake. On Klaus I've caught a cutthroat, perch, and large-mouth bass all on the same pattern. As the summer warms up, deeper lakes like Calligan are going to be good too. Exploring is half the fun.

As a matter of fact, here's my daughter with a nice Black Lake Rainbow. That smile alone makes Hancock worth it for me.

DSCF1030.jpg

Itchy Dog, Kent Lufkin and Jay Burman like this.
  19. SteveA

SteveA Gnu to the board

Anybody know how to find out which of these lakes are planted and when? One of my favorite lakes on the Hancock property began fishing poorly a couple years ago. I contacted WDFW and was told they no longer plant them and it's up to the property owner. I contacted Hancock by email and they were useless.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  20. Darryl Pahl

This is just my opinion, but I assume that since Hancock Forest Management is in the business of forest products, they wouldn't be spending any money on fish plants if they had to pay for it themselves. They do make money off permits, but one forest fire would wipe that out for the next 20 years. So I don't even think they are all that keen on letting people in anyways, and permits are more public relations than profit for them. I also don't think WDFW is keen on stocking "private" land.

I emailed my Hancock contact with the stocking question - I'll post any reply unless they request otherwise.

From what I've seen, some lakes have good natural capacity for reproduction. Other lakes, perhaps less or maybe even none. So I assume that every fish there is precious, and practice careful C&R.

Kent Lufkin and SteveA like this.