Handgun advice

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Flyborg, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +602 / 0
    I'm looking for recommendations for a small handgun to take with me on those occasions when I'm fishing late at night alone and for extended hikes. It needs to be something that can handle an occasional dunking, and is easy to clean/assemble. I'm hoping for something semi-compact that won't inhibit fishing, and hopefully won't break the bank. Any suggestions?
  2. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +791 / 1
    Any of Smith and Wessons J or K frame revolvers should do the trick. Lots of stainless models to choose from. Revolvers are rather "Murphy" proof, simply point and squeeze. If one doesn't go bang, squeeze it again. Look in Gunbroker.com for used ones, older and better. The new ones have internal locking mechanisms that I think would be one more thing to go wrong. 5 or 6 rounds of well placed 38 specials will stop most agressors, except for the occasional tweaker running on empty (grey matter is gone).

My favorite and only carry piece is a 80's vintage Ruger Speed Six in 38 spl, alas they don't make 'em like that any more. If you can find one in stainless for under $250, grab it and run...:thumb:

I rarely recommend autos to new gun owners, they require practice and dedication to carry and bring to bear safely.
  3. dominic7471 Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    i think a glock .40 would do the trick... they are compact enough and shoot really well.... what i like the most is there doesn't have to be alot of lubrification... it runs fairly dry compared to a colt .45 1911 or any other pistol... plus i think you can get ones for 600.00 bucks max. Great guns all in all and they come in olive drab!
  4. Kevin Rudzinski Member

Federal Way, WA.
    Take Roper's advice and go with a revolver. Less moving parts equals better reliability. .38 special is powerful enough to cover about 90% of the situations you might run into (if it ever happens), the other 10% it wont make any difference if you were carrying or not.
  5. FLGator Member

PNW
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I'm a big fan of the H&K USP Compact in the caliber of your choice.
  6. Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Doo-vall
    Ratings: +447 / 1
    Bear spray might be the ticket. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-gun (far from it), but a can of bear repellent might be better suited for your intended use. Now, if you're hankering to own a gun
    and plan to get your concealed weapons permit for carry, then go for it. I second the recommendations for a stainless revolver in .38 special. A S&W J-frame with rubber grips like the model 637 would be a nice concealable piece.
  7. Josh Benjamin Member

duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
  8. scottr Active Member

Chasing trout and birds
    Ratings: +106 / 0
    I was looking at a Berretta Cougar in a SW .40. They don't make this anymore but they are readily available. If you want a semi-auto I think the Berretta is a pretty nice way to go
  9. 05tacoma Member

Auburn, WA
    I like my CZ 75 and it is relatively inexpensive, but definitely on the heavy side. I just shot my friends Springfield Armory XD... and I really liked it.

One interesting non-lethal alternative I just saw in the latest issue of a handgun rag was a Kimber pepper spray type "gun." It is shaped just like a small hand gun with a bright orange frame and sprays to 23 feet. http://www.jetprotector.com/

Actually shooting someone is pretty scary territory to delve into. Even if you could prove you were justified in shooting, the amount of money you'd spend defending yourself could be a nightmare.
  10. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +602 / 0
    Thanks for the advice guys. I have a friend with a revolver, going to try it out and see how it feels. They look easy to maintain.

The pepper spray gun is an interesting alternative, I just wonder how it works against someone under the influence of meth. I hope to never have to use a gun against another person, but the fact of the matter is I fish in an area riddled with meth related crimes and I'm often alone late at night. There's a huge responsibility associated with carrying--one I plan on fully embracing.
  11. cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Arlington
    Ratings: +331 / 0
    One more vote for a compact .38. Small, easy to use, easy to maintain.
  12. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +524 / 0
    I'm not a gun guy but it sounds like you just described the qualities that many seek in good fly reels....relaiblity and few moving parts...less to go wrong. Sounds like a wide application to use for many tools...right?
  13. Tim Garton Member

Marysville, upper left corner
    Right :thumb:
  14. Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    44 mag short barrel might give you a chance at dropping a pissed bear. Better than 0% with a .38. I'd go a bit bigger with a 50 cal desert eagle and blow his claws and teeth off but they are a bit spendy. Otherwise you're better off carrying pepper spray, knife and a solid walking stick. .38s are a waste of money in the woods.
  15. SightCast6X americanshotgunner.com

Kirkland, WA, USA.
    In the woods I would carry nothing less than a 44 Mag. You can find some carry sizes available that are not that heavy. Otherwise, I would go non lethal.

I have a shoulder holstered 44 Mag SW and I carry it in remote areas. The extra weight is worth the extra piece of mind.

Its a cannon however and shooting it with accuracy takes some practice.:cool:

I'd look at a SW 629 Trail Boss and not look back.
  16. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    Just to be clear - around here, we aren't dealing with grizzlies and bull moose (mooses? Moosi?). It's meth - heads, meth labs, pot growers, car prowlers, crazy hillbillies, and occassionally... big foot. ;)
  17. Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    You also left black bear and cougar off of the list. a 44 has the stopping power to put a halt on all of them. a.38 might stop a hibilly or pot grower in it's tracks but a bear, cougar, or tweaker will keep coming at you.
  18. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    I'll take my chances with a black bear or cougar... that's just part of being outdoors in WA.

Getting jumped by some drug dealer or suprising a gang of car prowlers in the middle of rummaging through my stuff as I return to my rig - that's not a 'wilderness experience' I want to deal with ...
  19. Riffling Hitch Member

Sacramento, Ca
    I'm in the 44 and 454/45 camp but a great revolver for what you are looking for is a stainless 357. This would give you the option of shooting a high power round or shooting 38's for a cheaper load for fun or less recoil.

-Russell
  20. Charlie S Confrimed Reprobate

Ukiah, CA but moving to Spokane
    Retired US Army here and retired law enforcement. Go with a revolver. There are some .40's and .45's in revolvers which are better cartridges than a .38. Additionally, if you can, get cast bullets. Believe it or not, better penetration than a hollowpoint and better effectiveness than a solid round nose. Then practice, practice, practice. I would strongly suggest getting some professional instruction, some stress shooting instruction and then practice from 0-7 yards (the distance of 99% of confrontations and anything further you could probably outrun any methhead alive so you wouldn't have excuse to shoot) until you are completely competent. That will take about a year of constant practice. Not joking, dead serious. It takes a very determined effort to shoot someone knowing the consequences but if you have to you have to be ready in all areas.