Hard cider

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by rotato, Oct 8, 2009.

1. rotato

rotato Active Member

i have got descent crop of apples this year and a makeshift press (oak basket and a "c" clamp)

the cider is delicious but i want a little more punch
    has anyone made hard cider?
    i heard champagne yeast is good
    what about natural yeasts?

2. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    I wish I could give you any real advice, but I have never done it myself. However, a number of my home-brew friends have and it is wonderful to drink. So I encourage you to give it a try.

Should be a lot of info around on the net I would think.

3. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Media:
    Rotato,
    As a former homebrewer I would caution you against using any natural yeast. Believe me, you won't be happy with the result. Go to a homebrewers supply place and get some quality yeast.

4. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
    google 'scrumpy' . It's my favorite style of cider. :beer2:

5. Kerfwappie

Kerfwappie Member

Media:
    Hey Rotato,
    As someone who has made wine and brewed beer, I can tell you the yeast makes all the difference. You can do okay sometimes with wild yeast making certain berry wines, but for cider you're better off finding a good yeast. You can come up with some terrible after tastes if the wrong wild yeast proliferates. Find a home brew store or web site for a recommendation, I've never made hard cider, so I couldn't tell you what works. There's a good home brew store in East Bremerton, I think the owner's name is Bill. Give him a call, he would definitely know. Let us know how it turns out.
    Eric

P.S. Chantrelles are out!! Have you picked any yet?

6. rotato

rotato Active Member

thanks for the info gentleman

if it is tasty i will bring it to a local chum creek to share

and yeah there some shrooms out there
    common law brought this back

7. rotato

rotato Active Member

sorry
    it was this photo

8. Kerfwappie

Kerfwappie Member

Media:
    Nice. I love this time of year.

9. snarky clarki

snarky clarki New Member

I have about 4 gallons of juice from our trees. We didn't have a press so we juiced them. Its fermenting nicely. I used champaign yeast because it can tolerate higher alchohol levels than beer yeast. I added a lb of brown sugar and a lb of honey. Its my first batch so we will see. Hopefully it works out and is potent. Initial gravity readings suggest finished abv. of 10 percent.

10. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    Could you detail how you went about doing this? Ie; mixing sequence, amount of yeast, conditions, time and temperatures for fermentation. That would help a lot.

11. snarky clarki

snarky clarki New Member

Sure. Juice went straight into carboy. Campden tablets were added to kill wild yeasts. Yeast nutrient added at the same time. Exact amounts followed instructions on label. At this point I let it sit for a few days so the chems can do their thing. Added sugars. One packet of champaign yeast went in which should be enough for five gallons. Primary fermentation lasted about 9 days at after which I racked. Room temp was in the 60 to 70 degree range. Bottled about two weeks later. If I were to do it again, which I will, I would contemplate using a different yeast as my cider came out very dry as the champ yeast is able to ferment basically all of the available sugar. I left it still (didn't carb) and put it in wine bottles. Tastes good now and will only get better. There are so many ways to do it, and its relatively hard to mess up unless you aren't careful with sterilization. Fun project!

12. rotato

rotato Active Member

thanks Snarky

i got caught up with other stuff (new chickensand puppy and chums) so the apples are still on the tree

need to get supplies soon to create some tasty cider
    did you know that johnny appleseed was planting trees for hard cider not desert apples?
    thanks for all the info gents

13. ten80

ten80 Active Member

I use the exact same protocol as Snarky, except that I didn't add any sugars. I expect an ABV of around 5%.

Trying Safale 05 yeast on my current batch of cider. It was recommended by someone with professional brewing experience. I have used Wyeast and White Labs cider yeasts in the past with decent results (only decent because I used store-bought juice). They are safe choices if you want to make a more mellow, slighty sweet cider.

14. headstrong1

headstrong1 youngish old guy

Media:
    Home Page:
    I make a batch every year. I do not add anything but the yeast, just pitch some active yeast ASAP after pressing. In the past I've used champagne, but this year I just pitched some London Ale yeast I cultured from homebrew. It worked great, much faster than champagne (4 weeks vs. 10 weeks). The level of alcohol in cider is not enough to slow a good beer yeast particularly one designed for high gravity brew such as a London Ale or IPA. You could not taste any difference. I can tell you the liquid yeasts in the activator packs are best for fermenting at home. The champagne yeasts I've seen have been the dry packets and they work but they should be already going (i.e. primed with some pasteurized juice and actively fermenting before you press), otherwise you should first use the yeast killer tablets or boil the juice to avoid contamination. Have fun!

15. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    Would love to see it:)

16. Dig Dug

Dig Dug New Member

Its that time of year again. Hopefully the results are as good as last year (when I posted as snarki). I used double the honey and brown sugar (2lbs of each) and cote de blanc yeast as last years batch came out on the dry side. Anyone else learn anything and feel like sharing?

17. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    Nothing this year. My apple trees didn't do very well at all. They're still a bit young tho. Maybe I'll pick a few bushels up at the market or something. What are you guys using for apple presses? I'd like to build a grinder and a press. I'm looking for ideas.

18. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    With cider, yeast is less a factor as the blend of your apples. The apples that make for good hard cider aren't your typical "table fare" apples. You want to use a lot of the smaller, more tart varieties to get the punch you're after.

I like Saffale 05 Ale yeast for my ciders.

19. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Media:
    Hey Evan,

I think I should be the judge of whether or not Saffale 05 Ale yeast is the correct yeast to use.:rofl:

Send samples for testing!

20. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    What are your apples of choice? I like a granny smith jonathan blend, picked firm.