Hardy Cascapedia MKII or Loop Classic.

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by jcalderon, Apr 15, 2009.

1. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Media:
    This is the year I get more into swinging flies. Period.

That being said, I have affinity for the old "s handled" reels. I cannot afford a collector model, and I plan on fishing the reel that I buy often.

That Being said Which is the better of the two? I know the loop is a few hundred dollars more, and they are both made in (wait for it) korea.

Which would you buy and why

2. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

Media:
    Tough choice, I would lean more towards the Hardy.

3. chromeseeker

chromeseeker Where's the Bucket?

From what I've heard the Spey Reel Company reels are pretty sweet, cheaper (dollar-wise) than the ones you mention and made in the USA. They might be on back order, but I'd lean towards those babies.

CS

4. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Media:
    I do love those spey co's but they do not have a drag system, just a click and pawl. Both the hardy and the loop have a tough drag.

5. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Media:
    I bought the Hardy a month back and since returned it. It's fit and finish, bothered me, not that I wasn't going to ding it up. If care hadn't gone into the fit and finish, I figured, what else could go wrong. It's a heavy beast as well and if your building the ultimate summer outfit, this is the wrong reel. Never used it so really can't say how it performs other wise. James.

6. inland

inland Active Member

I have had three MK II's in my hands and none of them showed any 'fit and finish' problems. However all three were English made. With such a drastic price drop (compared to the Bougle) since going to Korea maybe something had to give. $475 is the current price for the 10/11. Certainly not without faults (but what is???)...that is still quite a lot of reel for the $$$.

Weight is going to be present in any classic 'S' crank salmon reel with a mechanical drag.

William

7. speyflyfisher

speyflyfisher Member

8. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    Both times in the last year that I have fished with guys with Hardy reels (one was a knock off) they have failed them due to actual breakage and not at all from poor care.

Generally they are considered bulletproof.

9. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Media:
    The funny thing about all of this is that I could get a Litespeed and an extra spool for danm near the same price. And NEVER have I heard of a problem with lamson.

I am an idiot for liking that classic, sexy look.

10. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    JC,

Do you need more than a spring and pawl drag, or do you just want one?

If an "S" handle is a requisite, then you're probably gonna' have to pay the premium. As rediculous as the used Hardy prices are, the Hardy Viscount Salmon reel is a practical and moderately priced alternative. No "S" handle tho.

Sg

11. bconrad

bconrad Member

I have an 811 Classic and I love it. Haven't had any problems with it at all, but I'm pretty careful not to get sand and stuff in it. I have heard of the clicker going out on other guys but apparently even if that happens the drag still works and you can fish it. It sounds really sweet with a fish on, too!

12. Randall Dee

Randall Dee Castaway

Home Page:
    If money is no object, then I would go with the Loop. I have never held either one, but I think the Loop looks nicer and more like the real thing. You can get the MkII shipped to your door for around $365 for the 8/9 from a UK vender. That price is based on the current exchange rate. I don't think you could touch the Classic for any where near that price. Hell, you could get 2 Hardy's for the price of the Loop. These are both a little heavier reels. Both the MkII 8/9 and the Loop 79 weigh in at around 12 oz. You have not said what rod it would be intended for, but I think anything smaller than a 14 footer and a 12 oz reel might be too heavy to get a good balance. But that is really a personal preference.

I would tend to agree with Salmo and ask if you really need or just want more than a click pawl. You could get a brand new Bougle shipped to your door for the same price as the Cascapedia and I think they are plenty sexy. But it's all personal preference.

By the way, here is a discussion on another forum about comparing the two.

13. Michael Thompson

Michael Thompson the flavor of BADFISH

Home Page:
    i have a loop evotech HD, and have played with the classic. i really liked the classic, the price was a bit much for me. that being said i adore my evotech, and the classic felt every bit as smooth. both of them felt stout enough to bludgeon a angry bear without ill effects. and you dont see many used ones up for sale thats for sure

14. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Media:
    Point taken decoy. You sure dont see too many for sale used.

By the way, thanks to all for your suggestions. I should mention that I plan on using the reel on a scott Arc 1287 and a Ls2 1408. Delta 8/9 and a skagit 550

15. John Wallace

John Wallace Active Member

Spey co. reel with a old school pawl drag. The way it is ment to be. I have my name on one and waiting to get it.

16. GR8LAKES FLYER

GR8LAKES FLYER Member

Media:
    Amen brother !!!

I have five of these babies and love each one of them equally !!
    John , did Tim happen to mention his new "dually" option ?? It's two clickers instead of one .... wicked !! My most recent one has it and you should hear it sing ....... sexy !!

Mike

17. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Media:
    Does anyone know about how long those Spey Co reels are backrdered?

I am very interested.

18. chromeseeker

chromeseeker Where's the Bucket?

Are you changing your mind about needing a tough drag? :rolleyes:

Honestly, you don't need a disc or other hard-core drag for steelhead or Atlantic salmon. The click-and-pawls allow YOU to fight the fish, which is what it's all about IMHO....

BFR

19. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Media:
    Well, after thinking about it more logically, my favorite little single hand trout reel is an orvis CFO with a loud clicker and little to no drag.

I am no designer, nor do I claim to know reels that well, but my question is does a traditional "click and pawl" reel have a mechanism to prevent the reel from continuing to spin after a fish takes a hard run? Or do I need to keep it palmed to control the "overspin" from the inertia of the run?

Hopefully this question makes sense. Thanks.

20. Randall Dee

Randall Dee Castaway

Home Page:
    I'm really intrigued with the Speyco reels as well and traded some emails with the owner of Speyco recently. I would have bought one if they were available. He could not even give me a ball park estimate on when the next batch of Summer Speys would be available. The best he could do was inform me that he was trying to finish up a batch of 3.75 inch reels which I think might actually be a better match for your Scott rod then a 4 inch Summer Spey. I believe that the 3.75" Speyco Trout reels are somewhere around 9 to 11 oz depending on options. That weight would be at the upper end of the range with the "S" handle.

I think that it might be a bit of a challenge to get one reel to balance out both of those rods you have. If you want one reel to do double duty, I would try to stay on the lighter side so you don't over balance the Scott.