Hardy Reel For 7wt Spey?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by HauntedByWaters, Nov 6, 2007.

1. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

I am planning on getting a new spey rod in the near future that is much lighter than my recently sold SAGE 9140-3.

I am thinking about the Decho in 7wt. at this point but that may change.

Anyway, I want to get an old Hardy beater for this rod just for fun. I have seen well used Hardy Marquis No. 2 and Hardy Princess on Ebay for prices that I can live with.

I am wondering what size of Hardy reel would fit the RIO Windcutter Versatip Spey for a 7wt.

Is the No. 2 size perfect or the No. 1? I am not even sure how the numbering works; anyone here know?

I am hoping to keep the reel on the smaller size if I can just for balance reasons; I am trying to move away from the giant spey rod reel feel and get something that feels more accurate and responsive to me.

Any suggestions would be nice and if anyone has a classic reel that suits this purpose that is ready to fish and is for sale let me know. I want a beater-workhorse that I can use and not feel like it is a collectors item.

Thanks all!

2. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Suspect either of the reels would be a reasonable match vis a vis the line. Doesn't take a heck of a big reel to suck up a Windcutter. That said, a more important point may be 'rod balance.' Reel (with the head of the line out) should balance (to the degree possible) the rod just ahead of the handle.

A simple way of doing this is string the rod (out to the end of the line head-reel not required) and sting a few one/one-half oz. lead weights off the reel seat. This will give you a 'reasonable idea' of the weight of a/the reel required.

3. MikeT

MikeT Member

Media:
    I've got a WC 678 on my Marquis Salmon #1. Plenty of room for the line and backing, and the reel is just right for my Sage 6126. The Marquis Salmon #2 is probably larger than you need for that rod/line, but it's a very cool reel. Either will work fine.

BTW, I had a chance to cast the TFO Deer Creek 13' 7/8 the other day. You owe it to yourself to check that one out as well if you're looking at the Decho 7.

Mike

[​IMG]

4. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Jason,

The Salmon II is too large and the Princess is too small. I spool a 7wt short head Spey on my St. John. Either it or the Salmon I would work for your application. Also a Marquis 10/11, as they come up for sale too.

5. Salmon Chaser

Salmon Chaser Wannabe Spey God

Save up $400 and do it right and get a 3 3/4" wide drum Perfect. Line guide if you are a righty and without if you are a lefty and want to switch it to a LHW. Perfect reel for that size rod and also a major jump in the coolness department:cool:
    The Marquis #2 is too much reel for that rod length and the #1 and the #10 go for almost as much money. Save for the perfect:thumb:
    Salmon Chaser

6. Marty

Marty New Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I like a heavier reel than most. I fished a 4 inch perfect on the 8 weight this week and for me it balanced the rod and action. With the full flex action of the Echo DH a slightly heavier reel seems to enhance the pivot point. I also fished the 7 a few of the days. It had Dec’s Highlander on it and for me the reel was a little light. The Highlander would be comparable to a Salmon 1. Dec likes the lighter reel because of the way he works the fly. Dec uses a lot of arm when he is fishing and says holding up a heavy reel all days is not as easy as it used to be. So, two things to look at when selecting a reel, balance for casting and balance for fishing. You can’t go wrong with a Salmon 1 but that would be as light as I would go. The only Light Weight Series I would go with is the St. Andrew. They are hard to find but would match up perfect with the 7. The 3 and ¾ wide Perfect would be a great get if you can find one, $400 would be a great deal. S. A. had Hardy build them some reels back in the late 60s early 70s. I have seen a few of them come up from time to time. They are identical to the Marquis and a nice piece of history. If you can find a system 10 it would match up with the 7. The Salmon 2 is a big reel but will work. In the end its what works best for you.

Good luck in your search and believe me once you start fishing Hardy’s you will not refer to them as old beaters.

I have an Ocean Prince (new) that would be a perfect fit if you are into anti-reverse.

PS The DH #7 is as good as it gets. I was fishing the Ronde with a 12 foot type 6 and had no problem covering the water. The 7 was doing so well I started wondering what the 6 would do but was to lazy to string it up. If you are looking for a dry fly rod (small summer fly rod) you may want to think about the 6.:beer2:

7. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

I suspect it is a difference in generation and lingo. Beater is what you call a well built tool that never lets you down. It is a compliment and is not derogatory in any when used in this case.

For example: My 1967 Evinrude 10Hp is a beater. I love the thing and it will run until the day I die.

But perhaps you are right, having a Hardy may change my mind!

Thanks for the info :beer2:

8. Marty

Marty New Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I am only pushing 50 is there that much of a generation gap, man I feel old but not as old as some of the Hardy’s I fish. Still waiting for the day one of my boys calls me an old beater. :beer2:

9. Dec Hogan

Dec Hogan Member

Hey Marty,
    Since you are an "old beater" I'll forgive you. The reel I was fishing last week was an Islander, not a Highlander. Sweet reel if I may say so myself. Glad you like the 7wt.
    Dec

10. Marty

Marty New Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Islander, Highland what’s the difference is not a Hardy - JK, I liked the reel also and it did sound a little like a Hardy.