Hardy Spey rods?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by bucksnort, Jun 24, 2006.

1. bucksnort

bucksnort Member

Gents,
    Has anyone here in the NW had a chance to cast any of the Hardy spey rods? I thought, since they've been around a long time, and they are from the U.K., they may be a fairly well-made rod. Thanks in advance.

2. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Cast several (no actual fishing involved as these were the Sandy River Spey 'Claves) and nice rods, VERY over priced for what was offered. Many better/as good rods for far less price available here in the US.

Just my .02 cents.:hmmm:
    Fred

3. tweedside

tweedside New Member

The following is heresay but here are many stories circulating in Scotland about the new Angel spey rods breaking. One ex-owner told me that on complaining to the maker he was told that despite being rated for a 10-11 line that he must never use anything other than a 9 wt. On the assumption that this is true and not an isolated incident it seems that they got it wrong this time.
    I had problems several years ago with the old Loomis IMX 15' rods, from the original "Spey" through the 4piece 8/9 to the 3 piece 10/11. They were nice rods but I never got on with the GLX except the 11 1/2'.
    Friends had problems with early Sage rods.....Guess all makers have their problems.

4. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

First another huge HELLO to another Scotsman on the Board. A warm welcome to both you and Malcolm (Willie Gunn). Roger that on the early Sages, the three section rods had more than their share of problems. The early ("Brownie's") 14' 9wts, 15' 10 wts, and the 7136-4 ended up as very good kit. That said, the second generation of these rods ("Greenie's") were far better designed/rolled blanks.

Is the Hardy Angel the one that's a very light brown and almost 'see through?' If it is, it's the first 2-hander to break the $2,000 USD level here in the States. Wonderful rod to cast:ray1: but geeze, that's a heck of a lot of money (twice, or more, the price of almost any other rod going).

By your posting name I assume you fish the Tweed, what other rivers do you have access to?

Fred

5. tweedside

tweedside New Member

Thank you for your welcome Fred. A point (not in anger!) I would make is that I am Irish, started out with a 16' Grant Vibration greenheart and through most good bamboo (incl Payne 12' & 13' - THE best casting overhead rods ever) to todays marketing led carbon graphites...most of which I loath!
    Yes that is the Hardy rod!! For the same money here you can get a Carron...a REAL spey rod or two CNDs which are in my view based on a sample of one Salar are also REAL spey rods!! Its a shame that Winston dropped the DBF....again on a single sample experience of an 8/9 a wonderful rod with the right line. The old Airflo Traditional 9/10 is excelent - except for its memory problem.
    Yes, I now live in Scotland on Tweedside. My fav. river. But I still fish in Ireland once in a while. I also fish for salmon in the Outer Hebrides - mainly at Grimersta on Lewis. I have fished a lot on the Laxford and Etive, both West coast rivers of extreme beauty and sometimes a lot of fish can be caught.
    Kind regards

6. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Having seen on line photo's of many of the UK/Irish/Scotland rivers I can understand why you folks get misty-eyed. They ARE beautiful just to look at.

Quite different fishing conditions (in the main) from what we experience here in the PNW. During the winter the rivers can be fairly wide with strong current flows, in the summer the flows will be well below these conditions which shifts most of us to shorter/lighter 2-hander rods. In the winter months 14-16 footers are fairly common equipment due to flows and larger fish. Summer run steelhead only average 3-6/7 pounds, so "heavy duty" equipment is over kill. Save for a couple of specific conditions.

An example of this would be when the Pacific Salmon are in the river (these fellows can get into the 50 pound range!) and low end of the river where it's much (Much!!) wider with higher water flows. As an example, on the upper Rogue I'd be using a 6 or 7 wt rod to 14 feet. On the lower Rogue (Gold Beach, Oregon area) I'll be back up to 15 footers and a Carron full floater or an Ian Gordon Intermed/full sinker as distance casting is the "name of the game."

The flows in the North Umpqua (summer) again are on the low/clear side so lighter equipment is the norm, rather than the exception. This is one river that really 'cuts the men out from the boys' on fishing/casting ability. The Descutes is a WIDE river summer or winter so it's a toss up on what to use/appropriate though it will (summer) still be lighter line weight rods.

Fred