Hardy Uniqua Reel

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Preston, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Preston

Preston Active Member

I recently acquired this lovely old 3 1/8" Hardy Uniqua. It has the stirrup (horseshoe) spool latch and Duplicated Mark II check and, when I bought it, it had a significant degree of spool wobble. A quick shipment to Bill Archuleta's Reel Works in Grants Pass for new bushings took care of that. I was able to load it with a WF5F line with room for about 25 yards of 20-pound backing, and everything is now klim-bim and in good working order. I'm looking forward to hanging it on my 1946 Wright McGill Granger 5/6 weight for the summer's trout fishing (and especially sea-run cutthroat in the rivers this fall).

Anyone out there familiar with the history of the Uniqua? I'm guessing pre-war and any information would be appreciated.

IMG_0996-001.JPG

Attached Files:

2. metalhead84

metalhead84 New Member

I have a 3 3/4 hardy unique , I also would like to learn more about there history . I was told the one I have could be as early as 1909 model . Anyway to tell ?

3. metalhead84

metalhead84 New Member

I have a 3 3/4 hardy unique , I also would like to learn more about there history . I was told the one I have could be as early as 1909 model . Anyway to tell ?

4. SpringCreek

SpringCreek Addicted to Cane.......

Preston,

Nice reel. Yes, your reel is a prewar MkII based on from what I can tell from the rivets on the back. The smooth brass foot and ebonite handle date the reel between 1922 - 1927. If there are initials stamped inside the reel you may also be able to identify who made it.

Metalhead84

A look at the check mechanism inside the reel is the easiest way to date the reel. If you post a picture I would be more than happy to help with additional information.

Jim

5. Preston

Preston Active Member

Spring Creek,
    Many thanks for the information.

6. Preston

Preston Active Member

Spring Creek,
    Sorry, I should have taken a picture of the reel's innards to start with. Here's one. another item of curiousity to me are the four "bright spots" visible on the back of the frame (they are also visible on the inside). They appear to drilled-and-plugged holes. I asked Archuleta and his response was "I have seen these filled holes in the past, and the only explanation I can find is that once the machining was done and some pits appeared in the casting, the pits were drilled out and filled with a softer metal so that the whole project didn't need to be scrapped. Sounds good to me, so I'll stick to it." IMG_1005.JPG IMG_1007.JPG I would have thought that, even in the 'twenties, casting processes would have been a bit more sophisticated than that.

7. SpringCreek

SpringCreek Addicted to Cane.......

Preston

Thanks for posting the pictures. I think the explanation on the filled holes is most likely accurate. As the reel was at the low end of the pricing spectrum I'm inclined to believe that there was a desire not to have to scrap any reels from a profit standpoint.

I do think your reel is on the early side of the date range I gave you. I'm traveling and don't have access to my notes, but your reel has 3 posts for the pawls and springs. Hardy went from 3 posts to 2 sometime in the earlier part of the date range, but I can't remember the exact year.

Nice reel.

Jim

8. Preston

Preston Active Member

Again, many thanks.