Hareline Scudback subsititute

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by silvercreek, May 3, 2013.

1. silvercreek

silvercreek Active Member

I have found a replacement for Hareline Scudback that is identical to the original. Here are photos of the 1/4" and 1/8 " clear Hareline Scudback.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is identical to Sew-Ology Clear Elastic that I bought in the sewing section of Hobby Lobby. See the photo of the package and the material below.

Sew-Ology and Dritz brands of clear elastic

[​IMG]

Sew-Ology elastic 3/8" outside the package.

[​IMG]

This is clear elastic that is in the elastic section of the sewing departments. It is used in swim wear and underwear and is sometimes called clear swim wear or bathing suit elastic. Other companies make a similar material such as the Dritz brand that I bought at Joanne's. The Sew-Ology brand is thinner and better IMHO. I bought both to examine them.

Both brands are 3/8" in width and you get 5 yards of it for about $2-3. It comes in 3/8" width, and that is why Hareline cuts that into a 1/4" and 1/8" to sell it. I plan to cut mine into the same widths using a rotary cutter on a rotary cutting board.

You can color it with a marker to get the shade you want like the olive Hareline version.

[​IMG]

Ron McNeal and Jack Devlin like this.
  2. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Most likely the elastic product came first. Many, many items that are sold as fly tying materials started out in fabric and/or craft stores. I knew a guy who worked for McKenzie Flies as the product development manager and he cruised fabric and craft stores looking for products that could be used for fly tying. If he found something, he'd contact the manufacturer, swing a deal and repackage the product as fly tying material (at an increased price, of course).

Antron products came from the carpet industry.

3. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

Media:
  4. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Geez, I remember when we had to cut up clear plastic bags for the scud backs.... it doesn't really need to stretch more than what you get with a clear plastic bag. :)

5. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

Media:
    yup! all of my big horn scuds tied in the 80s had zip lock baggie strips for the shell back

you are absolutely right that not many fly tying materials are designed or manufactured specifically for fly tying. it all comes from industries outside of fly tying.

6. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

And spend more money while doing it! I must admit, I sometimes fall for the "new improved" materials and tools just like everyone else.

Sure, if it is a lot easier to just buy the fly tying product than make it myself, I'll buy the product. I have bought some of the Hareline Scud Backs but use them for wrapping buzzer bodies, creating wing cases and some other weird-ass ideas more than tying scud patterns.

7. fisherjon

fisherjon Member

I have a ton of scud back i dont know why i never really liked the stuff to much i feel like it breaks to easy sometimes its mostly back up because the stuff i like using for scuds and stuff is jan simans magic shrimp foil always worked good for me

8. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I'm certainly not an expert fly tyer but I've used ziplock bags for years. I would venture to say that many of us used them before the thought of pre-packaging the stuff got off the ground. The only problem I have seen is finding the right pens to color the back with and I solved that by using the desired color underbody and a clear bag.

9. fisherjon

fisherjon Member

i have seen people use condoms before for backs on scud patterns you just cut them in halfs then cut the halfs into like eighths or however large or small you need them

10. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Which style is supposed to work best? (think I'll stick with non-contraceptive products :D)