Has anyone caught a steelhead on the Samish River?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Norme, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    WFF is very well indexed by google. Jason's post didn't make things any worse or better in that regard.

2. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    There's a silver lining here if we play our cards right. Adding a bonafied "S" river to the Wetside Occupiers of Fishermen list would be worth a pound-o-gold. (Solid 8.5 on the rant...maybe the best I've seen this year...all good :D)

3. fishkisser99

fishkisser99 Member

25 fish?! Crap--I missed one!

4. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

This site may very well be the devil.

Damn....

5. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    Tisk Tisk Tisk, Josh you should know this. :rofl: View source and search it by the words steelhead and Samish. Note the > strong> tag that each reply to this thread generates by default. Every post to this thread for sure boosted organic search engine rankings. If this was a post about the skykomish and steelhead then yes you would be correct, it probably would not make a difference due to saturation. Forget what I do for a living man? :thumb:

6. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    PS It just made page one first item in google. Isn't SEO Grand. LOL

7. FT

FT Active Member

Jason,

Thanks for your uninformed opinion.

The Samish is not a secret and has not been a secret for many, many years. It has been written about in the Bellingham Herald, Skagit Valley Herald, Everett Herald, Seattle Times, and the Tacoma newspaper many times over the last 40-50 years. It has been a fair amount of press in Fishing and Hunting News and there is quite a bit on it out on the internet. I was simply pointing out the obvious to anyone who has any knowledge of the Samish and the amount of fishing pressure it gets. Plus, just because a person is willing to walk 400 yds or so on the Samish, it doesn't mean he is going to have the run to himself. In fact, it is very likely, one will find someone fishing it within 200' of anywhere you happen to go on it. And the Samish above the hatchery is only accessible at bridge crossing and then you have to stay in the river, which is not easy to do, because it is surrounded by private property and the landowners don't allow folks to tresspass on their land to fish it.

Posting something on the Samish is akin to posting about the wonderful, uncrowded fishery on Whatcom Creek below Dupont St. the Cascade around and below the Marblemount Hatchery, the NF Stilly around Fortson, the Skykomish around Reider Ponds, the Nooksack between Hwy 9 and the mouth of the NF, etc.

In fact, I'm glad it wasn't stocked in 2007 with hatchery fish. The truth is I'd like to see it never stocked with hatchery steelhead and be totally C&R for steelhead because then the crowds would go away and one would be able to have relative solitude on this nice little river (more of a stream really).

8. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Secrecy drives interested fly fishers from our ranks. If it is a secret don't talk about it, don't take anyone there. If word gets out and others frequenting that spot ruins your solitude feel free to hike into the backcountry or far from the beaten path to find another secret spot. That is true adventure. I've met so many fly anglers that are polarized in personality regarding information, very willing or absolutely unwilling to share. How fun is that when you are trying to expand your knowledge, learn a few things and join the ranks? Thank heavens for the very willing half.

I'll pass my personal thanks to those that havee given me tidbits here and there for helping make last year a good one on the fly and I look forward to meeting and fishing with more of you. I have no secret spots, just spots where I fish. Anyone want to go fishing?

9. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:

FT,

Good post.

However, if they don't plant it with hatchery fish, then the likelyhood of finding your solitude is even greater since it probably won't be open to steelhead fishing period since PS are on the ESA.

Not saying I want to see hatchery plants continue, just saying that without those plants steelhead fishing will be a thing of the past until they are recovered and delisted.

10. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

BDD, if the stock is consistently making its escapement and the preseason forecast predicts it will do so in a given year it is my understanding that WDFW is permitted by NOAA to allow fishing. Fishing occurs in ESA listed ESUs all the time.

11. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Will,

You post a lot of well thought out, interesting and educational stuff on here and I enjoy reading your posts.

However, if we go back and look at the closures over the past 20 years, sportfishers have lost a lot of opportunity for steelhead fishing. I don't see the Samish opening to a C&R steelhead fishery if it loses its hatchery plants.

On a more pessimistic note, take a look at Soverel's final thoughts at the back of Hogan's "A Passion for Steelhead." It is a great read (half dozen pages or so) and it provides some insight as to the future of steelhead populations.

I don't believe Pete is a biologist (although I think he's a PhD) but he has been collecting biological data for a long time while being involved with the Wild Salmon Center. Needless to say he has a pretty good feel on the future of wild steelhead populations and you don't have to be a biologist to see the trend...Like the old saying it seems the handwriting is on the wall.

Apologies for the thread detour but I needed to get off 666 posts. :rofl:

12. SeaRun Fanatic

SeaRun Fanatic Member

Waaaa!bawling: Truly "interested flyfishers" will go to a shop for some basics, maybe a lesson or two, then go out and figure it out. Know how I learned the Stilly cutthroat fishery when I moved to WA from AK? Went to the Swallows Nest (the best shop ever, now defunct), got a couple of flies from the guys and went fishin'. I got some additional tips from guys I met on the water (who were suprised to find me on their "secret" spots), and figured it out for myself. Quit whining and go fishing. Over 2,000 posts since June?!?!? Get a freakin' life and get out on the water and figure it out. As I just posted on another thread, it ain't rocket science!

13. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Media:
    I wonder how decided whether to fish or not, or learned where to fish, before the internet.

I can't see a small river like the Samish staying open if the other PS fisheries are shut down. Even if it makes escapement, imagine what would happen if it's the only river open to steelhead fishing in Whatcom, Skagit, Snohimish, King, and Pierce counties. Having the Skagit/Sauk as the only fishery around, with something like 6-8000 fish and lots of water, is very different from having the Samish as the only option with 700 fish and very limited water. Whether WDFW can close it for that reason I don't know. Maybe they could fudge the numbers to justify closing it. The Skagit system has been hovering around the minimum escapement recently so that fishery could go away any time.

14. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    And likely will. Gentlemen, we are the last generation of steelheaders. Get used to it.

15. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Media:
    Cold.
    Somber.
    True.