Has anyone tried the St. Croix Imperial switch rods?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by BrianT, Mar 10, 2010.

1. BrianT

BrianT Member

I'm looking at getting a switch rod in the 5-6wt range. I'm looking at the Echo SRs, Redington CPX's, TFO's, and the Beulah switch rods. I'm wondering if anyone has fished, or at least cast the St. Croix rods, and how they may compare to the aforementioned. Thanks.

Brian

2. Gray Ghost

Gray Ghost Member

I'm interested in any personal field reports about the St. Croix Imperial switch rods also. I have researched what ever written material I could find on the web. I have read a couple guide reports and the over all census was everybody liked then a lot. Matched against other switch rods in the same price range that Brian T has already mentioned, I've read the Imperials are liked the best from the few that have tried them and the other comparable switch rods. Plus the Imperial switch rods are an ounce or two lighter than the other comparable switch rods also. From everything I've learned so far, I'm leaning more and more towards pulling the trigger on a St. Croix Imperial switch rod.

3. John Dude

John Dude Learned skills from George Dickel

Problem is trying to find someone who sells St. Croix stuff

4. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    I have a 5 and a 6 coming in for some test drives and you guys are welcome to try them.

5. flatheadmatt

flatheadmatt Member

If your looking for someone that sells them, call St.Croix direct. I have fished there rods for the last 15 years (Im originally from wisconsin, near where they make em) and have to say,,,,best customer service ive encountered. I snapped one of there rods while pulling too hard on a snagged fly while king fishing...it was immediatly replaced with a new rod and even a new rod tube...my old one was beat up from a couple of seasons of guiding in Alaska.

6. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Media:
    Look no fruther to buy one than Poppy, who offered the test drive, can't beat that deal -

7. rwaller

rwaller New Member

1051 Pleasant Valley Rd. Sweet home, OR 97386
    I have the St Croix Imperial 6wt and so far it is a very good rod. I am using medium sized steelhead fly’s and wets with indicators