Has anyone used a Rainshadow Rod? What did you think?

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by South Sound, Aug 12, 2004.

1. South Sound

South Sound Member

I was thinking about building a rod using a Rainshadow Blank out of Sequim, WA. I have heard some good things and have casted one before. Has anyone had any problems or are these rods a good bet. Also I like a fast action not a noodle.
    Tight Lines

2. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    I too was wondering...I haven't heard anything bad and Dennis Dickson uses them so I figure what the hell. Would be nice to know though, I am concidering building some new rods using these blanks.

Buy USA...even better...Buy Washington

Harley

3. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Roper is the biggest fan....talk to him ;)

~Patrick ><>

Faith is nothing until it is everything!

4. Bert Kinghorn

Bert Kinghorn Formerly "nextcast"

Media:
    Thoughts on 2 Rainshadow Rods

I've built up rods from 2 Rainshadow blanks. Both 7 weights. One was from their 51 million psi modulus series, the other on a slower blank. I enjoy both. They are very smooth casting, but I don't think either is as fast as the faster Sage or T&T rods. I feel they are a great value though and I plan to buy more of their blanks.

5. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    I love them. I have several. The XCEL series is rocket launcher fast, and the IM7 series is medium to medium fast.

They are basically the best rod blanks made by a company that does not finish rods. And it my humble opinion, they make Sage rods seem way over priced.

Rob

6. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    >company that does not finish rods. And it my humble
    >opinion, they make Sage rods seem way over priced.

Careful Rob. Richard's on this forum now and he's gonna bust your chops if you go badmouthing his boys at Sage :-D

7. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    They make a very nice rod, either blank. The quality shows as soon as you see them. Go with the Excel if you want a "faster" rod.
    I loaned one of my rods to a fellow on the board to try and he came back less the tip (4 pc. rod). Seems his casting was different than mine. Anyway, for 15 bucks and shipping, they replaced the tip section. It's not a full blown, no questions asked guarantee, just a frugal company with a good quality blank and great service. I'll be building more of their rods this winter.

Roper,

Life goes on, enjoy it...

8. dmoocher

dmoocher Member

Has anyone used a Rainshadow Rod? What did you thi...

Just my 2-cents worth but a local rod builder here in Olympia has built several, and has sent half of them back broken (he has built around a hundred rods and should know his stuff)...I asked him about Rainshadow and he recommended I go with the Angler's Workshop top line blank.

If you guys have good success with Rainshadow, I might give 'em a try.

Dave in Oly-town

9. firedog

firedog Member

Media:

I have a bunch of Rainshadows. No fly rods but plenty of drift rods and such. (Just ordered a 4wt blank and a 7wt though) All excellent blanks. Very good quality and excellent price. The one draw back is that they might be moving production to China :( The guy I get my blanks from told me that the other day. So if you want American made you might want to buy in the next few months.

Here is a link with some talk about the move, also some posts from the owners.
    www.stripersonline.com/cgi-bin/ubb_547C/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/7/2653.html

10. TANGLES

TANGLES Richh

I built a 4 wt 4 piece Rainshadow up at Greg's and really like it. Went fishing with a guide up at Whistler, B.C. last week and he was impressed with it. It's not the fastest blank they have but he still thought it was pretty fast and smooth.

11. South Sound

South Sound Member

Thanks guys for all the help. How is there Spey Rod they just started. It is fast (European) action or slower?
    Thanks.
    Josh

12. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Jeez, Kent, I can always count on you to be slightly off the mark. I'm not going to bust Rob's chops for liking Rainshadow rods or that he feels Sage is overpriced on a relative basiss. Sage's are apparently out of his price range. However, because it's comparing a factory rod to a home-built rod, it's not really comparing apples to oranges, but I won't go there. Different topic.

Regarding the Rainshadow sticks, good rods for the money. Are they great rods? Not in my opinion, but they seem to be good rods (blanks, that is). If the upper-end American factory rods (i.e. Orvis, Loomis, Sage, T&T, et al) are first tier, I would place Rainshadow in a second-tier position. But that's just my opinion based on performance, casting sticks side by side.

If it doesn't matter to the flyfisherperson where the rod is made, I believe the TFO rods are the best bang for the buck, big time. There are other somewhat competitive, performance and quality-wise, import rods in their price point, but TFO kicks serious booty on 'em. :thumb

Does that mean I will give up my GLX's, SP's, XP's, T3's, and S3S's? Nope, but those TFO sticks are there to stay in my quiver of fly rods.

Man, did I digress (hold back, Kent). Bottomline, if you like the Rainshadow rods, and they cast well for you and fit your budget, buy it and like it! I'm sure it will perform well for you. You gotta like what you buy.

13. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

i think ordella rods out of vancouver uses rainshadow blanks. bought one a month ago and it casts well but it is not a sage. short distance i cant tell the difference between it and an rpl ,but long casts are another deal. it gets a bit sluggish when you try too much line . for the price about $250 it is a good deal.

14. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:

Ok, here's the scoop (since I have a friend who worked at the company, and I say WORKED past tense). Rainshadow is in process of restructuring. Guess the owner passed away, and the sons took over. Well, from what I understand, the company who built the blanks for them closed shop (they were next door in Sequim). So not much of the "old stock" left. Not sure about buying blanks in China, last I had heard they were going with a midwest US company for their blanks. Also know a couple rod builders myself, and the two I knew who build alot would ONLY build on rainshadows. Have heard alot of good things about the AW blanks as well. May buy a few myself to build up.

Onto flyrods, I heard 50/50. Think it really depends on YOUR casting style. Had guys who fished Sage that loved Rainshadows to death, had others who thought the opposite. But can tell you that like firedog, almost all the guys who use "gear" blanks loved them to death. My buddy who worked there has quite a few blanks (they were selling them off cheap when they were shutting the factory down). Have a couple I'm looking at buying from him. Just a warning, not sure on warranty work right now. Especially with the change up of companies on hand. Think they still have plenty of rod pieces for repair work. But not sure after that.

15. Backyard

Backyard SANCHO!

Media:
    All About the fly in Monroe carry's a ton of the Rainshadow blanks in stock. They also have all the pieces to build a nice rod at low cost. Hell you can even build it there...

I'm pretty sure Ron has a few you can cast out back.

16. FlyShopKristin

FlyShopKristin Going Online

Media:
    Home Page:

Just a quick update regarding the Rainshadow lineup & production location. The current lineup of Rainshadow blanks is transitioning to overseas manufacturing (same location as their existing Forecast lineup).

Here's the new news -- Rainshadow is offering a brand-new lineup (beginning today!!) of US made blanks. It's the RX7 and RX8 lineup, all weights offered in 4 and 5 pc blanks.

No worries :) -- a US made Rainshadow rod is still available!