Has anyone used bobbins made by C&F Design?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by H2O, Jun 5, 2008.

1. H2O

H2O From Parts Unknown

Does anyone have or use the bobbins made by C&F design? I have only seen them in a catalog but they look very well built. Costing over $40, are they worth it ot just a gimmick? Seeing that Dr. Slick & Griffin bobbins are about 1/3 of the price, I am curious why this company wants so much for them.

2. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

Media:
    i use the tiemco ceramic bobbins and they work just fine for the price. i would never shell out $40 for that bobbin or $90 for the Ekich bobbin either.

3. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Media:
    H2O,

Most of the C&F stuff I've seen has been pretty spendy. I see a lot of their bobbins in use on the UK boards. Can't say if the bobbin is worth it or not, but their stuff is well made.

I use a Nor-Bobbin for regular tying thread and a Wasatch bobbin for Pearsalls Silk and Gordon griffiths thread.

4. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

I have a C&F bobbin. It is both well designed and well made. Looks good, feels good, works good.

If I had not received mine as a gift I doubt I would have one due to the fact that my favorite bobbins are still less than $10. Coincidentally called the FC bobbin

If you don't mind spending $40 for a bobbin get the C&F otherwise I recommend the FC

http://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.php?store=feacraft&action=display&target=RF012

TC

5. nb_ken

nb_ken Member

I've seen those bobbins and coveted them, but haven't plopped down the money for them.

I look at C&F stuff as the Krispy Kremes of tying tools. No question they're the best in the world, but the second and third best are very good too. I wouldn't stand in line or pay extra for the best when I can walk right up and pay less for something that's nearly as tasty.

6. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Do ya' ever notice that many emotionally based purchasing decisions are just a passing fancy. I've got exspensive tying stuff and cheap tying stuff. A little while after buying and using it, it's all the same stuff.

7. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

In the end I get much more pleasure out of cheap good stuff than expensive good stuff. I suspect most people feel this way.

You just have to buy the right stuff. Sometimes recognizing the right stuff takes a more objective view point. Sometimes the right stuff is harder to find. A lot of stuff that gets little or no recognition in fishing media is really the right stuff. Whereas most of the stuff in the media and sadly the shops is just more stuff. On the other hand every shop has at least some good stuff some of the time but no shop anywhere has all the right stuff.

Ultimately, "The right stuff is where you find it."

TC

8. Adam Taylor

Adam Taylor Member

If the bobbin is as good as the fly boxes I might consider it.

However...I have a bunch of wasatch wood handled bobbins that work just fine.

9. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

TC
    I'll have to agree with you concerning the right stuff is where you find it. The bobbin you've got pictured in your above post is also sold by The Fly Shop in CA. I bought one a few years back and they are as good as Tiemco's ceramic bobbin for about half the price.

10. SteelieD

SteelieD Non Member

Media:
  11. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    iagree Tiemco Ceramic, nice, smooth.