Hatch Books

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Entomology' started by craigmtb, May 10, 2006.

1. craigmtb

craigmtb New Member

What are the best hatch books for washington? I would like hatch times, pictures and matching flies. Anything else I should look for? I have a basic understanding but I want to dive in a little deeper. I don't want a super scientific book.
    Thanks

2. Steve Buckner

Steve Buckner Mother Nature's Son

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'm not aware of a hatch book specific to Washington, but I do own two general books on the topic. The first is a 1973 edition of Art Flick's "New Streamside Guide" and the second is "Trout Stream Insects - An Orvis Streamside Guide" by Dick Pobst. Although "Prospecting for Trout" by Tom Rosenbauer isn't a streamside guide, it does provide enough info on what trout eat and how to present your fly in such a manner as to induce a strike.

Most trout fly tying books also provide enough illustrations/pictures to help with the learning curve. Essentially, natural trout food comes down to mayflies, caddis flies, chironomids (midges), stone flies, eggs, worms, small fish, leeches, and terrestrials such as beetles, ants, cicadas, grasshoppers. There are a few others but this is a good start. Some folks are able to give the the latin name for every species. Spending some time with a sein and a streamside guide book, you'll get the picture pretty quickly as to what the fish are feeding on and will be able to improve your fly selection accordingly.

3. Taxon

Taxon Moderator Staff Member

craigmtb-[​IMG]

Another option, and the one I'd recommend for anywhere in the Pacific NW, is Hatch Guide For Western Streams by Jim Schollmeyer. It offers a color photo of each covered insect life stage on the left page, and three effective imitations on the right page. Any western flyfisher wishing to match immature and/or adult aquatic insects would benefit from use of this book.

4. mayvalley

mayvalley Member

"No Hatch to Match" by Rich Osthoff is a good read.

5. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Ditto for Hatch Guide to Western Streams by Schollmeyer. It will give you everything you need, including hatch-mathing patterns to tie. Any of Jim's book are in fact worthy of having on your shelf.
    Good fishing,
    Les Johnson

6. craigmtb

craigmtb New Member

Thanks guys, Hatch guide to western streams was the book I was looking at purchasing. I wanted your expert opinions to make sure I was headed down the correct road.

7. Ken II

Ken II LIB

Media:
    I believe it published by Frank Amato? Could be wrong, but the book called "Western Hatches" i find very useful. Not home right know so im not exact on the author.