Hatchery Steelhead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by filson, Jul 25, 2008.

1. filson

filson Steve Wilson

Media:
    Hey guys,

I know that hatchery steelhead are alright to keep on some rivers. Is that
    the case on all rivers? Can they be kept wherever you catch them. Also
    what are your thoughts on keeping the hatcheries? I have heard some say that
    they keep all hatchery fish they catch, and it is in fact good for the system to
    do so. What are your thoughts?

2. Green Drifter

Green Drifter New Member

It depends on the system and the time of year, look at the regs and follow them.
    Kill all hatchery fish when ever you get the chance....always! They are no good for the native runs.

3. filson

filson Steve Wilson

Media:
    The regs for the Stilly say state rules apply, that means I can keep 2 hatchery steelhead right?

4. Hillbilly Redneck

Hillbilly Redneck wishin i was fishin

Media:
    Yes. You can keep two of the ten hatchery steelhead that are in the river.

5. filson

filson Steve Wilson

Media:
    So you are saying there aren't many hatcheries there. Like I said, I don't know much about the system. Thanks.

6. ChrisC

ChrisC Member

I'm guessing that Steve caught a hatchery stray on the Cedar judging from his recent report.:thumb: Which even if true, again reinforces the point of why hatchery fish should be kept.

7. Hillbilly Redneck

Hillbilly Redneck wishin i was fishin

Media:
    Filson,

The return of summer run hatchery steelhead on the Stilly is what I would call piss poor. But don't let that discourage you! I still go out most mornings and wave my arm around for an hour or two.

8. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Media:
  9. Abel1

Abel1 New Member

filson- hatchery fish are to be bonked and taken home, so you can enjoy the smoke or the barbecue.

The end.

10. sothereiwas

sothereiwas Member

Media:
    kill them all

11. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

There are some places where you can't keep even the hatchery steelhead, like on the Grande Ronde from mouth upstream for a relatively short stretch. Always worth checking the regs if you don't know for sure.

12. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Media:
    so very, very correct there sir!

13. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I would be more worried about the locals in that section of the river versus Fish and Game. Last Fall I saw some Asian guy try and bonk a hatchery fish in the Turkey Run. After the first wack, everyone and their mother came out of the woodwork yelling and screaming at him. Funny stuff from the other side of the river.

Bonk them when you are able but always check the regs first. I think on the Upper Kalama, you cannot bonk hatchery fish up there. I am not sure if they allow them above the Falls anymore though.

14. Gertie's Pa

Gertie's Pa New Member

I'm in total agreement with those endorsing retention of hatchery steelhead. One of the main reasons for their existence is to be harvested and bbq'd! Also with Washington's new State Steelhead Management Plan we will likely see greatly reduced runs of hatchery fish in the very near future. The summer issue of Salmon and Steelhead Journal offers a brief over view of the newly adopted plan. It seems the State is hell-bent on wild steelhead recovery and will be reducing or eliminating hatchery stocks in rivers where there is a whisker of hope that a native run exists. This may appear rosy on the surface but I see it as an open invitation for the State to reduce or eliminate opportunity based on a whim instead of sound science. I'm all for reestablishing native fisheries and their habitats but I have a hard time believing a native gene pool still exists in a river like the Cowlitz. I have no problem bonking a hatchery fish. I think there are some rivers we should be given a chance to do so.

15. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    Picking and choosing which river to sacrifice is akin to what companies were trying to do in the 70's with pollution. The Cowlitz does have a wild run, which isn't doing well, but does exist. Other rivers in the Columbia basin have recovered from similar problems with resounding success (Wind), others have failed miserably (or currently failing like the Methow).

In terms of hatchery expectations, the only ones that are actually required are the mitigation hatcheries for dam projects. Others like the hatchery plants on the Sky and Hoh do come directly from your $$$, but ins't necessarily a requirement the F&G to actually do it. The reality is, the state *has* to do this, because the current crop of hatchery production is surviving at the 1% or less range (for smolts), which is a far cry from the 5%-10% expected. If you want an eye opener, take a look at the Puyallup river system. 17 fish the the hatchery racks, very few kept, and near 250,000 winter run smolt released.

16. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    With integrated hatchery programs being used more for conservation purposes, its important to realize the purpose of the respective program. Of course, its very likely that those fish won't be marked and therefore, off limits to harvest (at least to rod and reel).