Hating on the Renzetti Traveler

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Monkey Salad, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Monkey Salad

Monkey Salad Member

Media:
    Just had the adjustment screw break on me for the third time, and the cam was closed less than halfway. The screw shot like a projectile towards my face, and fortunately hit my glasses, otherwise I would probably be blind in my left eye now. So moral of the story, spend your money on something else.

2. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Media:
    That happens to those of us that use them a lot. Happened only twice to me before I smartened up and got a stainless steel socket-head cap screw to replace it with. Thousands of flies later, no breakage.

The Traveler is a great vise with a few shitty components. Adapt and overcome, Young Jedi.

3. Monkey Salad

Monkey Salad Member

Media:
    Yeah I'm gonna make a trip to the hardware store today and try to find the strongest screw they sell. Not gonna settle for anything less than kryptonite.

4. kosel80

kosel80 Native Trout Fan

Media:
    I heart my $60 Dan-Vice.

5. Cruncher

Cruncher -

Media:
    Have had a traveller for over 15 years and no problems, except for the little o-ring breaking/cracking. Just picked up few of those at the hardware store and voila. You indeed are lucky not to have sustained an injury. I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade that screw too on my part.

Be careful not to torque down too hard on your hooks either. I actually used to myself and have had TMC 2457's snap while fighting some fish bawling:, right where I had the hook in my vise when I tied that fly. Happened a couple of times to me and on my friends as well, whom I give my flies away to. They complained about a warranty and I said there is no warranty on the free stuff :rofl: Never thought a 2457 would break but I'm sure I weakened it by putting all that pressure on it while in the vise.

6. Charlie S

Charlie S Confrimed Reprobate

Hmmmm....been tying on my cuda for years and have used Dyna King equipment for years before that, with never a breakage, failure or other problem. You get what you pay for.

7. riseform

riseform Active Member

Media:
    I had the same thing happen to me after I converted to the cam jaws. Thankfully, I was able to get the fractured screw out of the back jaw and replace it with a screw from the original head. I was guilty of cranking down pretty hard on hooks for spinning deer hair. I've lightened up on the tension and the hooks still hold well, but I hope I don't see a second event.

8. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    Same, although I'm probably not a good enough tyer to know what I'm missing if I were to upgrade.

9. C O D Y

C O D Y Oh, this is so good it just HAS to be fattening.

Get a Nor-Vise.

10. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Dan vise on the tying desk, another in the travel kit. I'd love a nor-vise if anyone was giving one away.

11. HogWrangler

HogWrangler Member

Media:
    To solve the problem completely, don't use a vice and tie in hand like Harry Lemire! ;)

12. Wes Telyea

Wes Telyea Member

Sorry to hear that happen. That's the vice I use and I have to say, I love it. No problems yet, but then again maybe I am just not tying enough

13. Monkey Salad

Monkey Salad Member

Media:
    I've tried tying in hand, not ready for that yet. 5 days for one fly aint worth it to me. If I was to get something else I think I would get the original Regal. Simple and bombproof. The Nor-Vise looks cool but there is too much crap going on with that thing for my taste, I hardly use the rotary on my vise as is.

14. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Monkey, you have to admire the sleek elegance of the nor vise though...even if you don't spin it like mad to make your wraps.

15. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    The Nor Vise is sweet! I will have one someday, I just don't need it now. There is a learning curve, but I seen Norm's demo a few times and tied on the Nor Vise a few time. Now the bobbins are sweet, and I use them!

I'm happy with my Regal vise for home and my Dan Vise for flies where I need a full rotary and when I take my vice with me. I really bought the Dan Vise as my travelling vise! I think I'm covered! ;)

16. poirierpro

poirierpro Member

Sell the Renzetti on the bay and get a Dyna King.:thumb:

17. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

Media:
    i disagree!

ive had my traveler since they first came out and never had a problem. changed out the old style 2 screw head with the new cam style head and still no problem. o-ring has never broken, screws have never popped off.

18. Jack Murphy

Jack Murphy Member

Media:
    I have the Traveler also, non-cam. Never had a problem with screws breaking but then again I don't tie 200 flies a month.

Maybe it's an issue of fatigue?

19. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Media:
    The original jaw-adjustment screw is a cheap, pot-metal thingy that is definitely prone to fatigue and breakage.

A replacement SS screw has enough hardness to resist fatigue, yet is small enough to break before the jaws do in an overload situation.

20. bfic

bfic Member

As an engineer I know you can never please everyone. If you believe the "what vise do you use" surveys, Renzetti holds the majority market share so they are doing most things right.

FYI - the black steel socket head cap screws (allen head) are much stronger than the stainless steel. cheap stainless hardware is relatively soft.