Haunted

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Charles Sullivan, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +565 / 0
    This morning:
    I left this mornig a little late since the wife told me she wanted to sleep in. Apparently getting woke up every hour from 12-6 AM to calm a crying child doesn't make for a good nights sleep. Rather than tell her, "I didn't ask for those kids." I relented and postponed fishing.
    I let the kids watch some PBS and made breakfast. I could not make coffee as the grinder would wake up the old lady. She'd come out of the bedroom as angry as one of Mike Vicks pit bulls.

Upon waking up wifey said, "sorry, you were gonna go fishing. why don't you go."

I did.

In a rush out of the house I forgot my new fly box on the kitchen table. This is the A-1 box complete with all my favorite patterns, all tied with stingers.

On the river:

Fortunately I had my box of last years re-runs.

"I'll just catch dollies anyhow." I said as I tied on my first egg sucking leach.

A few hours later I had caught 3 char and missed one. The last fish was an honest 4+ lbs. I was now swinging a year old, butt ugly, general practitioner.

Swing, stop ZZZZZ goes the medalist. set step back......limp. Fuck. Dollies don't take line.

Check the hook and..... no point. Literally broke off with no point.

Fucking mustads!!!!!! why wasn't I using one of my new flies with a gami stinger?

Clearly the wife's fault. No doubt about it.

Moral of the story:

Wives and children get in the way of steelhead.
    and
    The fly does not matter

Go Red Sox,
    cds
  2. Richard Torres Active Member

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +79 / 0
    Sounds like bad karma to me Charles... :p
    You should've turned around, sit on the couch, and watch the winter classic hockey game together with the kids...
  3. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,699 / 0
    Charles,

Not the wife's fault, sorry.

What's wrong with Mustads? Many a fish has been caught on them. In fact I like them over many of the other brands I try. Of course I probably liked them better when I bought them at $1.37 per box of one hundred.

And last but not least, better to have hooked up and lost, than never to have hooked up at all. Happy New Year.

Sg
  4. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    Charles,

I have my first kid on the way due in late March. I have been trying to fish as much as possible because I realize my fishing days will be severely impacted. I kind of see it as a dark tunnel getting closer, when the darkness consumes me I will no longer see a river with a rod in hand for quite some time. I guess I'm looking at worst case scenario, but at least I don't have some idea that I'll still be able to get out like I used to.

And, yes, I hate mustads too!
  5. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Matthew,

Great idea. Increase the addiction prior to quitting cold turkey. Just kidding. You can fish with little kids, it's just difficult. I think that it was easier for our fathers generation. It was generally accepted that child rearing was the domain of the mother with the exception of sports and severe punishment. Now it seems they expect father to be active in their childrens lives. Crazy isn't it.

Clearly, I was joking about missing a fish being my wife's fault but it is true that women and children do not help in steelheading. They are on a long list of hinderences including work, liquor, sex, sporting events etc. In the end you'll get to fish, just not as often or as long as before.

SalmoG,

Happy new year to you too.

Go Sox,
    cds
  6. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,503 / 9
    Charles, maybe for the first time of all your excellent posts I must say you are just wrong. You are also daring the fish gods to cast bad karma upon you.
    Fishing with kids will make the outings more memorable, maybe for other reasons.
    The fly box error is all yours, if you would have packed your shit in your rig the night before, or in a grab pile to go the last minute rush out the door would have still found your #1 box in your hand.
    I'm envious you got out. Happy New Year.
  7. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    If you are serious about not wanting kids, and now you have them, which is a burden because you're a steelhead addict---- you’re in for a personal and interpersonal hell. If this is true, my advice is to get your priorities straight and shit together in order to avoid an imminent nightmare. You are pretty young, right?
  8. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Mumbles,

I have not and likely will not fish with the girls. They are exceptinally girly and the idea of standing in the water waving a stick only interests them if it's synchronized swimming.

Getting stuff ready the night before is not possible because I spend the night before chasing the old lady around trying in vain to get her to pretend we're making more children. Hence, the moral is that wives and children do not help in steelheading.

Pan,

No. I agreed to the children. They are wonderful...usually. It would be a lie to say they ever helped me catch fish though. You should you tube up some phil lesh and Chris Robinson stuff. Pretty damn good.

ITWT,
    cds
  9. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    I'm not in to non-Jerry Dead, but thanks--I'm sure it's pretty good stuff. My advice comes from personal experience, not the not wanting kids part, but rather my steelhead obsession that almost led to my life as a steelhead bum part. By the way, give me your address and I'll send you a "best of 77" compilation. All Miller remastered Soundboards.
  10. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,503 / 9

CDS, great point and perspective! So far my young girls are not totally against the thought of fishing, have begged me on awful weather days to take them along and have made me promise to take them on a river float when the weather is better. I'm pretty sure there are no more little ones in my future. I'll just have to make sure these two keep my future bright. Hopefully it will involve fishing, if not I'll have to carve some time for myself and support them in whaterver suits their fancy.

It will only take one moment to put that fly box where it belongs so it is not forgotten...and leaving 23 hours and 59 minutes for the perpetual pursuit of the misses.
  11. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,784 / 0
    When you get my age you will forget both the fly box and why you are chasing the old lady around the house if you even bother chasing her in the first place.
  12. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +320 / 1
    Charles, look at the bright side, the bruins won in OT!!
  13. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Charles,

Yeah, wives and children are a serious impediment to steelheading. Seems Mumbles isn't into steelheading enough to realize that yet. Having known some steelhead bums, I don't regret being a casual steelheader and splitting my time to build a home (before this one) and raise a family. Being a steelhead bum is too one dimensional a life style, altho it results in hundreds or thousands more steelhead caught, and more big ones in the mix.

Second, don't believe Kerry. I'm older than he is, and can't remember shit, but I'll never forget why I chase tail.

Sg
  14. bhudda heffe'

basement
    Ratings: +111 / 0
    Second, don't believe Kerry. I'm older than he is, and can't remember shit, but I'll never forget why I chase tail.

Sg[/QUOTE]

Salmo, thats because Kerry owns a juicy jet boat to distract him :) shoot, if i had a jet boat id be living it up like Sonny Crockett (miami vice) , no mailing address, nice truck parked on hwy20, and living on the boat! with an alligator :)
  15. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Bhudda,

I've got a jet boat too. I wouldn't want to live on it tho. I'm not lacking distractions, but that's hardly the point.

Sg
  16. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Salmo, I'm not so sure you are older than I. But you are right it is not the point. I was having an old man Jim moment. I haven't forgotten why I chase tail.
  17. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Here's another thought. I've never caught a steelhead in bed. But I have gotten a bit o' tail on the river.

Beltre,
    cds
  18. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Kerry,

I could begin collecting SS in less than a year. However, I refuse to grow up.

Sg
  19. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ok, you got me by a year or two. Grow up? I didn't get a steady job until I was in my forties. Whos growing up?
  20. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,696 / 2
    It's things like these that reaffirm my choice to not have children.