Have Camera, need lens...

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by Mayfly Aviator, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Hey all I picked up JergensCsquads old Canon 10D as as a surprise for my wife. She just started a grad program in Idaho, and is living there by herself until I find a job over there. She'll be absolutely stoked about the camera, and hopefully let me take it on some fishing trips.

This will be her first digital SLR. She had some lenses for her 35mm SLRs, but I'm not sure that they will transition and would rather not open up the 50 boxes in storage to find out at this point. I'm looking for some advice on an inexpensive, all around lens to send with the camera. I froogled and googled but I really don't know glass. Any advice will greatly help.

Thanks,

Sam

2. Trevor Thorp

Trevor Thorp Happy to be home in the NW

What brand was her film camera. If it was a Canon there should be no problems using the old lenses.

3. surfnfish

surfnfish Member

suggest you go to - http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/index.htm

Ken Rockwell does a great job of providing really good digital camera info and reviews

4. Her last SLR was a Pentax, which is raising the question of usability.

Do you know if they are compatible?

5. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

they are not compatible... I'd look into a canon 18-85 USM or something like that to start... Be warned lenses are expensive

6. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

unfortunately, no. not compatible

All big names are exclusively have their own lens and their own mount type...
    For the lens you need to buy, will depends on what type of photography style you like.
    most common and versatile lens would be mid range zoom lens with moderate aperture. But as other members have mentioned before... all good lens require certain amount of investment... if you really want a high quality and cheap lens... there is one... but not as versatile as the zoom (warning first) it's 50mm/1.8 lens... super good professional quality. only cost you about $100. You can go to flickr.com and search for 50/1.8 lens... there are a lot of creative and high quality shots...but they are not as versatile as zoom lens...

7. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

8. Thanks for all the advice. I'm mainly just glad that I have an answer regarding the usability of her old lenses. I really don't have a problem buying a new lens, just didn't want to double up on them.

I found a few reasonably priced 18-55 lenses on Craigslist, straight out of the Rebel kits. However, I spoke to someone at Best Buy last night and they didn't think they would work on the 10D. I'll need to do a little research to verify, but if I can find a used 18-55 lens that will work on CL for ~ $100, I'd pull the trigger. This is just a lens to get her going. I expect her to spend some $ in the future for more specialized lenses.

Thanks again, and let me know if you have a lens you'd like to part with.

9. jackchinook

jackchinook Member

Unfortunately ef-s lenses won't work on the 10d. All XXd series lenses AFTER the 10d are compatible....but you're outta luck. it hadn't been released yet.

The above poster who recommended a 50mm f/1.8 gives good advice. Great results from a cheap lens...that's why they call it the 'thrifty fifty'.

I have taken probably 95% of my favorite fishing shots with my 50mm f/1.4, which is really similar to the f/1.8, just with another stop of light and a metal mount....at about $300.

Sigma also has a 30mm f/1.4 lens that recieved good reviews, though I've not used it and can't provide any personal recommendation.

A really great zoom is the Canon 17-40 f/4L, but it'll run you about $500 used. I've been using mine since about 2003 with pretty good results. Only problem is that it's relatively slow at f/4.

There are a few good less-expensive alternatives that will work for the 10d from Tamron, Tokina, Sigma, a few other 3rd party manufacturers. I want to say there's a good Tamron (17-50 f/2.8???) that's faster than my f/4 and has a little better reach.

Check out dpreview.com for more camera nerding-out than you you stomach.

11. Chris Bailey

Chris Bailey Member

I second the recommendation for the 50mm 1.8 lens and will add a couple good quality zoom lenses that you can probably get used pretty cheap; the 24-85mm and 28-105mm f3.5-4.5USM lenses. I have a 28-105 f3.5-4.5 on a Canon film camera and it works great. The 24-85mm is supposed to be a nice lens and might be a little better on a small sensor digital due to the wider extreme. I'm pretty sure the 10d uses a small sensor, so the effective focal length of the lens will be roughly 1.6 times the listed focal length. For instance, the 50mm lens will be more like a 88mm lens on the 10d. Also, if you can swing it the lenses with image stabilization make a huge difference in lower light and in hand-held situations.

THere is a 24-85 lens on craigslist right now that seems like a pretty good deal at $200 with a bunch of filters that would be useful. http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pho/1418334444.html

Canon has an online museum with info on older cameras and lenses. You can check out the specs on lenses that you find used. Check it out: http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/ef/standard_zoom.html