Having Some Trouble Making My Dubbed Bodies Look Right...

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Nick Clayton, Mar 11, 2012.

1. why dubbing? use leach/mohair yarn

[​IMG]

with each wrap of yarn, use your other hand to pull the fibers back to the bend of the hook

2. Custom buggy dubbing mixes, that's why. The yarns are so monochromatic.

3. I am an advanced beginner (self assessed), so I can't help on technique but I sure like this video. I just ordered some of this dubbing material as it is spot on to what I am looking for (and with a color name of Brown Dragon you can't go wrong). I like watching Rob Weiker tie, he gives really good detailed instructions.

He seems to get the look you are going for by brushing and picking out fibers. Seach on Vimeo for him not sure if link below will work. He has a good seal bugger video.

4. Great video, video thanks a lot Mark. That is a cool technique I have never seen before. I think it will be perfect for the bushy collar I like at the front of these leeches. I'm off to give it a whirl.

5. Thanks again for the video mark. I just went and tied up a few using that technique to add a nice buggy collar at the head and I am extremely pleased with the results.

6. Marks video is just what I thought the original store bought flies you posted was how they did the collars! they should call the video fly the big-foot leech! looks just like one. by the way - good thread nick.

7. The fish DON'T care!!

8. Yes, we know.

9. I like to take a bunch of dubbing and pull it apart repeatedly trying to get most of the fibers lined up I then take small bunches and add these to the dubbing loop when I have the dubbing loop full then I spin it stop and pick out the fibers spin again till tight pick the fibers out again before I start wrapping the loop on the hook then by brushing each turn backwards I'm able to achieve a very bushy looking fly using very little in the way of materials
    Tony

10. This is a very good description of what I do as well. I've cut way back on the amount of dubbing I use.