Hawaiian Bone Fish Part 2

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by D RAY, Jan 8, 2012.

1. D RAY

D RAY Member

I was so stoked about landing my first bonefish, that I decided to take the ferry back over to Molokai to try it again. I wasn't disappointed! I had miles of flats to myself, and I must have seen 25-30 bones. I had six flat out refusals, and at least 7 follows before they decided they didn't like the fly or the presentation. I also had 3 fish do what they are supposed to do, two of them got away though, one because of equipment failure, the other because of operator failure. The two fish I lost were Big Bones, I'm still having nightmares! The small one I landed went one-hundred yards into my backing twice! There weren't as many Black tips around this time, and I did not see any GT's, but I got an offer to go to X-mas Island in April for GT's...I just might do it. Aloha!

2. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

I haven't seen Primo beer since I left Guam in 1970. It wasn't on my top 5 of beers.

3. D RAY

D RAY Member

Wasn't on mine either Bill w...but when your guide/friend offers a cold one after landing a bone in 80 degree temps, you say "Mahalo Brah"

4. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

Did you go out with Clay again out on Moloka'i? Also, what patterns did you find got the most interest?
    Thanks!

5. flyfishmt

flyfishmt Active Member

Congrats to D Ray on a great trip. Thanks for sharing. I just tried to book Clay for anytime between April 6 - 11 and he his is booked solid. Does anyone else know of another guide? I get the impression that this is a fairly new deal in Hawaii and there are not a lot of guides doing it.

6. Jordan Simpson

There are quite a few people doing it, but it's concentrated on selected islands. Are you specifically wanting Moloka'i?
    Some guides I can throw out there (though I'm not sure which islands they are all on, are:
    Rob Arita, Coach Terry Duffield, Clay Ching, Ed Tamai (ET) and Loui Delnofo (Louie The Fish). Also, Oli(ver) Owens.

Hope that helps.

7. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

that sounds a lot nicer than hanging out on the kenai with the -20 air temps!

8. flyfishmt

flyfishmt Active Member

I am staying on Maui and don't know what the fly fishing options are there. After reading D Ray's post, I thought of taking the ferry to Molokai. It seemed like my best option, but everyone is booked up.

9. Jordan Simpson

Yes, Maui is difficult for fly fishing for bonefish. They are there, and they have been caught there on the fly, but I haven't seen anywhere on the internet that says it is a constant fishery and worth the time/effort. Granted, if you do get one on Maui on the fly, you have major bragging rights.

I know there are a couple threads on WFF that are reports about Maui. Maybe try doing a search for them if you have to resort to DIY.

10. JSK

JSK New Member

D Ray,

Looks like you had a good trip with Capt Clay. I'll see him later this month. Hope to catch bone. I'm a friend of the Jolly's from ANC and they've shared some of the stories from your epic SE AK trips during the spring. I need to make that trip one of these days.

John