Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Hawaiian Bonefish Trip

3K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Jay Burman 
#1 ·
Over here on Maui, Oahu, and Molokai right now, specifically to get married tomorrow. But, while that is the most important reason I'm here, I had other motivations also, and that was to fly-fish for bones. I fished the triangles on Oahu, had three follows and one take that lasted ten seconds before it cut the leader on coral. What a blast...stalking, spotting, intercepting their line of travel, and then making a cast that can't be too far away, and definitely not too close! These fish were very spooky, they would blow up when baitfish would swim in their direction. They also were very large, 8,9,10 lbs. fish! The conditions were horrible, with the winds gusting to 20 -25, white clouds overhead which created a glare. But that's fishing, I was happy just to be fishing. I can't wait to fish Oahu again, those fish made me a veteran quickly! A couple of days later I traveled over to Molokai, tons of black tip reef sharks on the flats, they were blowing up the water! Kind of eerie having sharks swimming within 5-6 feet away. I actually hooked a bone while a black tip swam towards me, I'm watching the bone scream off a hundred yards of backing at mach speed, while watching the shark swim in my direct line. Once he got within five feet of me, I stomped my foot and he blew up, spraying water all over. Totally out of control. I'm a happy man!

#9 ·
Triangle is one of my favourite places- when the tide is right you can see tails everywhere there.
If you went at it on your own, I bow down to you- but since you had a fairly successful time, I will assume you had a guide. Who was it? Duff, Louie, or ET?
Was Triangle the only place you fished?

Man, you're getting me stoked to be back there in one month! Thanks!

What pattern did you get them on? I found that when it was cloudy, that orange seemed to work the best...

Jordan

#12 ·
Yeah man, orange is what I got them on this past January too. I'm actually headed back at the end of January for a couple weeks. If you get the chance, the Ala Wai Canal in Waikiki is loaded with small barracuda that are a blast on a 5 or 6wt. You can also get small trevally in there.

Maybe one time we'll line our trips up and run into each other out there- cast to some tails on Triangle!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.