headed to Rocky Ford Creek Sunday

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Drysuperfly, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Drysuperfly

Drysuperfly Member

I am headed to Rocky ford creek this Sunday to get away from the rain and general Seattle weather. I have been there a hand full of time over the last 8 years and I think my fish count stands at 4, 2 caught on fake egg patterns and the other 2 on a big old white bunny tails streamer. I always get looks with my different presentations but I can never seem to get consistent action, I usually use fluorocarbon line about 4-8 pound test. (I am a self taught fly fisherman that looses so many leaders using the pre-made tapered lines it gets pricy )
    I will be fishing from about first light until around 2. I usually fish the upper area around the bridge, but sometimes venture down to the rapids.

any pointers for a newb would be greatly appreciated. as of right now I have my sinking line and a lineup of woolly buggers, san Juan worms, and eggs.

Thanks

2. jjaims

jjaims Make fishin’ your mission

I'm no rocky ford expert but the last two times iv done pretty well with # 14 olive scud under an indicator (as small as possible) in the morning and a #10 olive bugger in the afternoon .

Duane J likes this.
  3. John Wallace

John Wallace Active Member

Brother and I were there a couple of weeks ago. The was a small hatch going on. Hook a lot of small ones and broke off a couple big ones on dries in the size 16 and 14.

4. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    I don't think I'd ever use a sinking line there. Sometimes I use a clear intermediate when chucking streamers, but I don't think it's necessary. Should be able to handle about every situation there with a floater. Scuds, whether under an indicator, sight fished, or slooooowly stripped, is probably the most consistent method. All I ever use is 8lb fluoro unless I'm using dries. Then I might go a little smaller.

Patrick Gould likes this.
  5. Drysuperfly

Drysuperfly Member

6. Drysuperfly

Drysuperfly Member

So we made the drive some Edmonds to rocky ford around 11pm so go the lower parking lot to camp around 2am, just enough to get a few hours of sleep in. We get up at first light and make our way down to the rapids, we are throwing woolly buggers, scuds and about everything else in our boxes at them without luck. Shortly after sun up another fisherman came down the river, and literally fished on the rock right above were I was fishing eliminating the run I was casting into. We were the only people on the river at that point. I got peeved and just left to another spot before I opened my mouth.
    My buddy was getting frustrated at the fish and wind so we headed to the upper bridge to try out our luck there. I caught one small fish with a blank ant dry fly and then lots of nothing. As were packing up to leave I decided to switch to 4lb test and see if that makes a difference, boy did it. We instantly started getting looks, so I knew it was just the matter of time before we find the right combo, I threw on a small chrominoid (green w/ brass head) and instantly hook up to the biggest rainbow of my life, after a solid 5 minute fight and me sweating bullets knowing its only 4lb leader we landed this beast, I am not sure about the weight (probably around 7 on the low side I am guessing) I am guessing it was about 27 inches or so. The girth was insane I have giant hands and this dwarfed them. Had 3 other hook ups but the barbless hook won that battle.
    big fish.JPG big fish 2.JPG

7. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    I've started using only heavy leaders at RF. I want to get those fish in a fast as possible. The no wading policy makes it tough to get the bigger fish into the net, and I'm always worried about them breaking off when they're thrashing around near the shore. (yes some of them do thrash around)

8. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    Nice fish! I've never had luck in that spot.

9. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    I caught a jumbo in that spot. There's little drag on the line fishing from there.

10. McNasty

McNasty Canyon Lurker

Media:
    very nice! think ill be over wednesday or thursday

11. Drysuperfly

Drysuperfly Member

it took 12 years of fishing there to get one over 16", was skunked the last couple time I was there

McNasty - fishing was SLOW in the morning, it didnt pick up unitl about 930

12. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

Looks like you caught a dollar bill (1st pic) too just like in the insurance commercial!

Nice fish!

triploidjunkie likes this.
  13. John Wallace

John Wallace Active Member

I have used 3 to 5 lbs test over there. Mostly 3lbs, and not have problems unless I screw it up. Glad you got a big one and that fun!

14. Duane J

Duane J Member

Great report. How was the grass/moss in the upper section?

15. Drysuperfly

Drysuperfly Member

It really wasent bad this at all, i could bounce flies off the bottom and 50% not have any mossy gunk stuck to it.. the wind was blowing around and the tumbleweeds were more of a pain.

16. Drysuperfly

Drysuperfly Member

there was a lot more access along the shore then in years past. i dont know who went through and cut down a bunch of cat tails but you can definatly fish areas that used to be blocked off.

17. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    I think it was the wind as last summer the area you fished was full of weeds with a tiny little spot for casting from.

18. rory

rory Go Outside

Home Page:
    Hey look a dollar! Nice fish too.

19. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    Was there on Sunday too. Caught a mess of fish down in the fast water where a strong baetis hatch started coming off around noon, somewhere around a dozen fish in the fast water. Fished my 8 1/2' bamboo rod with Hardy Perfect on it, and listened as it sang a sweet tune when I'd hook up on little olive flymphs in #18. The fish also seemed reasonably interested in #18 olive parachute emergers. After a while in the fast water went with my buddy Gary up to the narrows, where I picked up another at about 18" on a #18 parachute bwo emerger. The wind shifted completely and suddenly was in our face, so we ventured back down to the fast water. All in all I think I managed about 15 between noon and 5pm. The hatch seemed to start petering out around 3:30. The wind was strong that day. Riseforms disappeared instantly in the wind riffles.

triploidjunkie, dfl and Nooksack Mac like this.