Heading to Kauai late April, fishing intel?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Randall Clark, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Media:
    As luck would have it I have some friends who are getting married in Kauai (right near Anini Beach). I'm planning on throwing in an 8 & 10wt, orange and yellow charlies, plenty of clousers, maybe even a few crease flies. My question for those of you who have fished there before, are you fishing floating lines mostly? intermediate? or fast sinkers for the deeper areas? I'm considering booking a morning with Rob Arita, but am not sure if I'll have that large of a chunk of time to commit to that (I should have most mornings available though). I'm guessing a stripping basket would be advantageous as well?

Thanks!
    Cheers,
    Randy

2. Chucker

Chucker Member

I was there last year, and spent a fair amount of time fishing the Anini beach area.

Like most of the Hawaiian islands, that area is pretty fished out. The inshore fish that are around are mostly small, so your 10 weight is likely to be overkill. An 8 weight is overkill for most of the fish you'll catch!

I only used a floater when I was there. There are deep channels where a fast sinker would get you into a different area, but you would snag up a lot. Bluefin trevally were the main species that I caught, and they seemed to be willing to come up and hit a fly near the surface, though I got no hits on a popper.

Best fly for me was a long, skinny, chartreuse and white clouser. Boring, eh?

Although there is a fair amount of apparently suitable habitat, I did not see a single bonefish on Kauai. The flats are deepish, so if you are going to fish them you'll want flies with lead eyes to get you down 3-4'.

Stripping basket will help you a lot.

Really, if you're going all that way and want to fish, you shouldn't hesitate to book a day with a guide. That local knowledge is usually the difference between being in the game and flailing at the water for nothing. If your time is limited by other factors, give the guy a call and tell him that and see if you can make a deal. A couple of two hour early morning sessions with a good guide might get you a decent fish or two and still let you get to the wedding!

3. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

I was there last fall and did get in a wee bit of fishing.

Here's the post: http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/kauai-in-september.89762/

And I didn't bring my stripping basket but sure wished I had!

I spent as much time unwrapping my surf-tossed line from around all the coral and rocks as I did casting it! I couldn't believe how knotted up that line got around the rocks!

And if you've read that thread you'll also know I heartily recommend watching the wave sets at any exposed spot you intend to fish!

I didn't spend enough time doing that at Kukuila and got hit by two big waves, nearly knocked down and sucked off the rocks.

It was one of the most frightening moments in my fishing life!

Fortunately I didn't break the new 8 wt. and just wound up with a couple of skinned knees! It could've been much worse.

I've come to love Kauai and would like to go back!

BTW, if you've never had it, ya gotta try the poke! Pronounced "poke-ay or poke-ee". Typically raw ahi tuna in a rich saucy marinade! Yummm.....!!! That was our dinner for several nights! :)

Best place for this we found was the Pono Market, 4-1300 Kuhio Hwy in Kapaa.

In addition to all the great food you can even get a marriage license there!!

flybill likes this.
  4. Randall Clark

Media:
    ah yes, I got lots of info from that report...thanks! I might try the poke...Tuna is one of the few fish that doesn't make me nauseous (some weird food intolerance...don't ask)...

my fly box/s is/are filling up. Who knew that tying up crabby/shrimpy patterns could be so much fun?

5. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Media:
    Randall, I'd also tie up or buy a few Borski sliders in the biggest sizes you can find. They do double duty as a mantis shrimp and lizard fish imitation, both are prized snacks for predatory fish on all the islands.

6. Randall Clark

Media:
    Cool, thanks!

7. Chucker

Chucker Member

Yep, I'll second the recommendation for the borski bonefish slider. This one looks about right:
    http://www.saltwaterflies.com/bonefishslider.html
    Make them pretty heavy. Lizardfish are usually not swimming about on the surface.

It's also a good fly for trout and smallmouth, as a sculpin imitation.

8. Randall Clark

Media:
  9. JayB

JayB Active Member

Media:
    Not sure what kind of rock you'll be walking on, but when I was wading on the volcanic rock on the big island in Marlwalkers, they were great for protectiong against sea-urchin spines, but I found myself slipping all over the place (very easy to get some prize-winning gashes and/or break a rod when you go down in that stuff) and found myself wishing for some felt - at least on the forefoot.

They sell cheap neoprene slippers with relatively thin soles (with felt on the bottom, at least in some cases). I believe they called them "Tabis" or something - and you could find them at most grocery/general stores.

Irafly likes this.
  10. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

I will be there the same week (i think i fly in on the 26th) but will probably just bring a 4 or 5 wt for reef fish. I had some luck last time i was there on a popper but only right at dawn.

11. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    This is exactly what I did when I was there, and I still use them on trips all over the place. I think they cost me like $25.

12. rotato

rotato Active Member

I like the gumi tabis
    Made in japan
    I crawled around plenty of volcanic rick on the big island with them
    Good grip
    You can kind of swim with them too
    Don't forget a black marabou fly for casting over black sand
    Fast strip for the GT's (Ulua)
    Cheers

13. Randall Clark

Media:
    Has anyone ever tossed and topwater over there? I'll probably take a few gurglers and crease flies (tied one up that looks ok, but didn't have the appropriate epoxy for the coating so it took way longer than it should have).

14. N-forker

N-forker Member

PM inbound

15. N-forker

N-forker Member

OK, for all to see.
    As soon as you drop into Annini, there is a very basic double track which is is public access. within the first 3-5 houses or so as I remember.

Easy wading straight out, until you find coral heads with extensive sand channels connecting them. Blind fish these sand flats between the coral. I fished 3 days in this location wit multiple hookups. Spooling a 8 wt into the coral with only one landed. I'll bring a 10 next time to control the fish in such a confined location. This is just the tip of the ice berg as Annini goes on for mile(s) and this location is literally the first public access!

Tan and Pink oversized Charlie/crab/things.

Have Fun!

Irafly and Randall Clark like this.
  16. Randall Clark

Media:

sweet, that's right where the house we're staying in is!

Thanks for the info....hopefully I can actually do something with all of this information and throw up some fish pics when I head over...

17. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Another thing to consider is a smallish size 12 or 14 olive/green marabou pattern for the seaweed eaters out there. Maybe even develop a frozen pea pattern, often times folks feed the coral fish with these. Heck you might even try chumming yourself!

18. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
    Fishing Kauai in early April, I'll give a report.

19. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

Interested in seeing both Randall's and Derek's reports!

Fishing vicariously is nice but I wanna go back and personally catch fish, not just see 'em!!

:crossed fingers:

20. Randall Clark

Media:

hopefully there will be more pictures than just landscapes...