Heading to Kauai late April, fishing intel?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Randall Clark, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Eric B

Eric B Montana hillbilly

I'm heading there in Early February. I don't imagine that the dates matter that much in Hawaii. Is that a good assumption? We will be staying in Kepa a. I will follow all of your guys' great suggestions and hopefully have a decent report. I think a day with a guide is in my budget since I'm staying with relatives. It is my first time fly fishing in the islands, very excited to give it a shot.
    Eric

2. jersey

jersey livin' the dream

Fished the north shore beaches in september, but didnt hook up with anything substantial. Lots of smaller reef species which were all new to me. Anini was fun as we spent most of our time there, but for species variety, the beaches on the northern end were better to me.

My eight year old son walked on water when "that rock moved and looked up!" He snorkled over a massive turtle, its head was literally basketball-sized.

Have a great trip

3. Jeff Cheng

Jeff Cheng Jeff Cheng

Eric, would love to hear a report when you get back. I will be headed over there in late march. It will be my first time fly fishing in Hawaii.

Jeff

4. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

I think we need to have this thread just renamed "The Official Fly Fishing Kauai Thread"

5. Jim B

Jim B Flyfishin' and homebrewin'....priorities ?

6. Dipnet

Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

7. Randall Clark

I'll keep that in mind...although with the salt about ten feet out the front door, I can't see myself heading elsewhere...

8. Eric B

Eric B Montana hillbilly

So here is my late report. I was able to mess around in quite a few locations on the island. I started out by getting a 1/2 day guided trip with Rob Arita at Anini beach http://www.bonefishkauai.com/. He was super helpful and got me a really good shot at a nice bonefish. He was following my fly, but wouldn't quite take it. The weather was constantly changing that day and when the sun went behind the clouds it was really hard to spot any fish. But I learned a lot from him and had a good time. I would recommend a trip with Rob if you have good weather.

I tried to go again at the same place a few days later, but it was after some serious rain, water was murky, overcast, & windy so I basically had to give up sight fishing.

I went to the north side of the island near Hanalei Bay and found some cool areas near the west side of the bay (away from town). I caught a 4 foot trumpet fish which was cool. It didn't fight very hard, but it looked really interesting up close and out of the water. I caught a few other smaller fish (the kind you are supposed to enjoy through a mask:)), but nothing too crazy. I saw a few larger fish silhouettes, but was unable to get them to grab.

The best fish I had on was actually out on the SW side of the island near Hanapepe. Out at the saltwater pond beach, right at the end of the airport runway, there are some large rocks that the surf pounds pretty hard. Past that, there are some shallow areas where the surf comes in over some super rocky flats that are protected from the waves. I had a given up on the shallows and was trying off the rocks, dodging waves right before sunset when I finally got a massive strike. I never really got to see it, but whatever it was, it hit super hard and then took off. Once I got all my line squared away, it took a quick run and busted me off. It got my heart racing, but it was over pretty quick. Not sure how I would have landed the fish on those rocks anyway, just would have been sweet to see what it was.

I think next time I will maybe rent a kayak, or spend a few days w/out time constraints and try to get dialed in. There are a lot of options on places to try. I hope this helps & I Hope you have a good trip and I look forward to your report.

flybill, Irafly, Jeff Cheng and 2 others like this.
  9. Randall Clark

Thanks for the report, Eric. I'll most likely have a couple of hours each morning, but probably not much more than that....so hopefully the weather will cooperate for at least some of that...

10. Dipnet

Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

I think you need to go back and try again! :)

11. Eric B

Eric B Montana hillbilly

I think I will get the chance. My mother-in-law moved to the island, so I will be able to go back again soon hopefully. Nice to have a place to stay and a car to beat up. :D

12. Jeff Cheng

Jeff Cheng Jeff Cheng

Thanks for the report Eric. I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to be able to fish any of the north shore or areas outside of the poipu area, since I'm going to be with my girlfriends family. Thinking my only real time will be a few hours every morning out I from of the house.

Any last tips? Specific flys?
    I'm heading out on Saturday! Can't wait! Plan is to bring my 6&8wt rods with me.

13. Dipnet

Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

IIRC, the Poipu area is the most "touristy" on the island. Lots of hotels, condos and folks on the beaches. If I were you I'd try to venture out and hit some more distant beaches. I think you'd have a better time! Just my 2ยข!

14. Jeff Cheng

Jeff Cheng Jeff Cheng

Thanks. I'm going to try but idk what the reality of that really is. Hope is to be on the beach at the break of dawn, before most people are awake.

15. Jeff Cheng

Jeff Cheng Jeff Cheng

I got the ok from the family and will be headed out on Tuesday for a morning with Rob Arita on anini for bones! Can't wait!

Irafly and Dipnet like this.
  16. Dipnet

Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

If you're just doing a morning fish be sure to pack the gear for an afternoon of snorkeling. Anini is a great sheltered area for doing that!
    Ahhh....Kauai life! I'm looking forward to going back and spending more time plying the waters.
    I'm envious and hope to hear a good report from ya!!!

17. Randall Clark

Got out this morning...fished until the winds really started ripping around 9:30 or 10. I picked up a couple of goatfish, super cool looking. I also had something attempt to destroy my clouser, tomorrow morning I'll probably fish the crease fly a little more 'cause that was damn cool...so far so good. I tried to get a decent shot of one of the goatfish, but it came unpinned while I was messing around with the camera. I spotted a turtle in about a foot and a half of water and a cool looking moray eel tucked in underneath a rock that he was guarding. I also spotted one bonefish up on part of the flat but the reason I spotted him was because he spooked. looked to be a 7ish lb fish. I can think of worse things to be doing in the mornings...

as I was working my way back to our rental house, I did see Rob out there with a client...hope they got into some.

rotato likes this.
  18. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

I am heading out there this weekend and am staying up by where you are. How bad has the wind been? I have a stiff 6wt and a 3wt packed for reef fish but could swap out to an 8wt if I had to.

19. Randall Clark

The wind was plenty bad, especially after 10 or so. It definitely took a little bit for me to figure it out because I'm just not used to those types of conditions (way worse than the wind that whips through on the Deschutes). I was throwing my 8wt, but it's glass. Once you figure out the best way to use the wind to your advantage, that's the key. If you can, I'd throw in the 8 in addition to the others (chances are you won't even touch your 3wt), but your stiff 6 would probably be ok in the mornings when there isn't much wind. Even the little goatfish I caught put a good bend in the rod. If you have time, tie up some smaller clousers in a size 8 or so if you want to have fun with some of the wrasse (according to a couple of locals I talked to this morning, they fight like hell)...mine are just too big for them to really get hooked up.

one thing I've noticed though, you can't strip fast enough for these fish, it's crazy how fast they are (even those goatfish). and don't to strip set...there were several occasions this morning where I did the trout set and no fish...tough habit to break.

20. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

most of the flies i tied up are just size 8 to 12 for goatfish and wrasse (even some size 14 wooly buggers for worm imitations) i will probably only get like an hour or two after dawn before anyone else wakes up to fish so im just going to find a rock to stand on and catch anything thats near it!