Heddon bamboo rod

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Lue Taylor, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Hey Mike, I just removed the tip top and snake guide off the second tip....as you said, it looks like water penetrated under the snake foot and unfortunately the bamboo is dark inside that area. Looks like moisture then rust infected that section. The bamboo delaminated easily past that guide towards the ferrule. (6") Now what??? Not sure if I should Titebond it or cut off the bad section and install the tip top now? Hmmmmmmmmm :-(

2. Mike Monsos

Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

Media:
    As long as the bamboo itself was ok and the failure was just a delamination with the added invisible wrap you will be fine. With such a short area you could wrap from the guide wrap to the tiptop wrap and would be hardly noticeable.

I fractured a tip on a three piece (really stupid move on my part separating the rod sections in a confined area) I made. For a test I just did a repair wrap, no glue or varnish to start off with. The rod cast just as well as it did before. I'm going to glue it up and do the invisible wrap that Tom suggested from the last guide to the tip top.

Mike

Tom Bowden likes this.
  3. Mike Monsos

Media:
    Man this is sounding worse by the minute, you got nothing to loose if you try to save the tip. It may be a good learning experience if nothing else.

Mike

4. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Fished the rod today with a 3 5/8" Hardy Perfect, 6 wt line, and short tip. Cast chironomids 40' okay but....after a couple hours the mid section just below the female ferrule delaminated about four inches! No sign of water damage, just shitty old glue I guess? More work to do...worst part I didn't catch a fish with it yet!

5. Mike Monsos

Media:
    Restoration work will test your patience at times. How did the long tip section turn out?

Mike

6. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

The glue held, haven't wrapped it yet. I'm not even going to flex that one yet. Have you heard of Heddon glue problems before? I know it depends on the care the rod was given over the years, but any complaints you know of? Out of the thirty plus rods I have, I haven't experienced delaminations like these.

Mike Monsos likes this.
  7. Mike Monsos

Media:
    I personally have very little experience with vintage bamboo and delamination's. I do feel your pain though.

Mike

para_adams likes this.
  8. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Pain?? It's killing me Mike! My eBay redone hot rods don't break unless I break them! (not on purpose) Heading (or Heddon) to the shop for the Titebond...

Mike Monsos likes this.
  9. Mike Monsos

Media:
    Maybe the answer is to take the plunge and buy the forms and plane. Split the culm, taper the strips and trust your OWN work. It's a lot less frustrating and much more rewarding.

:cool:

Mike

Tom Bowden likes this.
  10. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

I think I'll just go fishing..... :)

11. Mike Monsos

Media:
    By far the most fun you can have with a bamboo fly rod is fishing it, I need to get out a lot more often myself. ;)

Mike

Tom Bowden and para_adams like this.