Heddon Reel Question: Repair Help Needed

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by SHARP, Jul 25, 2011.

1. SHARP Member

Washougal, Washington
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    My father sent home with me his Heddon 300A Fly Reel. Nice little 1-3 wt older reel.

The issue is the spool will not stay in the reel case? Usually there is some tension piece or something that will give the spool some grip....

I am by no means an old reel guy or do I have any experience with reel repair and parts.
    View attachment 43018 View attachment 43017

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
  2. Steve Kokita FISHON206

Burien, Washington
    Ratings: +135 / 0
    Is there any tension when you move the spool release lever? If not and it flops back and forth, carefully remove the two small screws on the spool latch cover and there should be a small bent piece of spring metal. (kind of a "V" shape) This piece can move out of place, it puts pressure on the lever which clicks it into a slot on the reel spindle. I have several Heddons, Berkleys, Diawas and the original---Hardys! Hope this helps, let me know if you fix it or need more help.---Steve
  3. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,225 / 0
    Since the reel has sentimental value and you've confessed you're not an expert in old reels or their repair, may I suggest that you contact Bill Archuleta at http://www.archuletasreelworks.com/ Bill has arguably one of the very best reel repair shops in the country and is a prince of a guy to deal with to boot. Start by giving him a call and describing the problem and then see where it goes from there. IMHO, old reels are far cooler than today's new whiz-bang ones, so a little TLC now will probably pay off in a lifetime of enjoyment.

K
  4. Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Phinney Ridge, Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +118 / 0
  5. Steve Kokita FISHON206

Burien, Washington
    Ratings: +135 / 0
    Did you get your reel fixed? Time for fishing!!