Help A newbie Please !

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by flyrookie, Apr 5, 2009.

1. flyrookie

flyrookie New Member

Hello To All,

I am brand new to this site and also A rookie Fly fisherman,I will be visiting the olympic area in June/July going to be out there for about a week.Have visited the area before and have done some fishing in Lake Cresant & The elwah river...

At Cresant we used a fly set up on a spinning outfit 2500 series reels and 4 lb test and light rods 4-10 test,Used the bobber technique with a 2 lb leader about five feet long and did ok with some general flies that we just chose randomly...

Those who are familiar with this lake and the trout that are in there (Beardsley's) would you suggest any other set up that will brings us better luck..We don't have fly fishing rod set up's and don't know how to ..So we will stick with the spinning set up ..We fish from the shore as well...

Would anybody suggest anything differant or specific in the areas's of our set up's or fly choices...And Location during that time of year ?

Thanks in advance for any help....

Steve

2. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
  3. flyrookie

flyrookie New Member

Any more elaboration then That !

Thank you for all your time JIM...

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
  5. flyrookie

flyrookie New Member

I am fishing a spinning set up 2 lb mono and a clear float with 5 foot leader..And body fish Lake cresant with much success and a better set it up in mind ? Any leads as to what kind of flies to use ?

Thanks for any info and thanks for your patients.... :)

P. S. Just noticed link ,Thanks Mumbles

6. Jim Speaker

Home Page:
    by :rofl: I mean dude from sandiego leave the fish in crescent lake the fuck alone you have no idea their history and genetic significance - they are more important than you.

7. Connor Parrish

Connor Parrish Member

Media:
    get a cheap fly set up. its not hard to find one. my first set up was cheap and i used it for years when i was younger. dont use the bubble fly thing..... that is just...... point less

8. Troutrageous

Troutrageous Active Member

Hey Jim, maybe post a link with some of the info about the lake/trout, instead of being a dick... this little blurb is interesting
    http://www.washingtontrout.org/crescent.shtml

-I can't think of a stronger motivation to go fish a place than some jackass telling me to stay the fuck away from it.

9. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

:D

Attached Files:

10. Jim Speaker

Home Page:
    Fine, from now on I'll be more accommodating of spin fishers coming onto this fly fishing site looking for advice targeting unique subspecies of wild trout.

Huh?!?!? I'd rather be a dick on this one, that was the further elaboration he requested. Sue me.

11. Ed Call

Media:
    FDC, nice photo of a very placid Crescent Lake. This one was taken on our return trip from the Hoh where a few little risers (probably cutts) could be seen near the edges of the lake in the shade.

12. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Welcome aboard flyrookie. I would change my handle to something like "CA trout slayer" or "CA C&Rer" then you would not get jackass replys to ?
    Always tough to ask ? about how to's and where for.
    Fly fishing with a spin outfit is not fly fishing.
    I've heard there are some fine mountain lakes and streams in Southern CA and the salt water has got to be killer.
    Always practice C&R when fishing Washington waters and welcome again.

13. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

Media:
    I agree that he shouldn't get a damn bit of info. but maybe your approach was a touch strong Jim. :)

14. flyrookie

flyrookie New Member

Defiantley Ditto... What He said (Troutrageous)

But would never do it out of retaliation..Obveiously Jim's passionate about those trout ..But Jim could do it in a more effective & constructive manor....

CONNER PARISH:

Thanks for an Idea ...I'll check into it but am on a really tight budget only come out here once a year but will check into it thanks for the info....

ITSSTILLGREEN:

I am not sure why but respect that...

Thanks...

15. flyrookie

flyrookie New Member

Thanks Bro...

I understand to some degree..I am a part of a site in S.D. where new comers come board wanting holes and such but there just innocent people not knowing the eticutt..But we try to walk them through it.. ANd teach them the ropes for some success..We all practise C&P&R or most ..But then again you have the people that have there opinions and go way over board..Just saying...

Yes we have some of the most deverse fishing around..Most of my fishing right now is in the Surf and bays Halibut,Spotted bay Bass,Barred Surf perch,Walleyed surf perch,Corbina,Corvina...All fun stuff and some very good fishing on days...

Thanks For the welcome much appreciated.... :thumb:

16. flyrookie

flyrookie New Member

You have a good day now ...:thumb:

17. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Hey flyrookie,

You really should recognize that you are a spin-fisher visiting a fly fishing site. People who fish with the fly--to a very large degree--are very conservation oriented. We adhere to the Catch and Release ethic when it comes to any fishery that has a wild and self-sustaining population of trout. As it is, most of the lures that gear anglers use tend to have barbs on their multiple-pronged hooks. Such lures, as well as the use of bait (deeply swallowed hooks), significantly increases the death-rate of caught fish--even if you release them. This is much of the source of the scorn that fly anglers have towards those who use gear and bait to catch fish. We crimp barbs, because it does improve the survival rate--for as much as we can manage. Some of our hooks are so tiny that the damage draws far less blood than our last visit to the dentist for a gum cleaning. We love it when it works that way.

To be honest, I did giggle a bit when Jim Speaker ranked on you. Fishing in Washington State is like struggling to be a musician in New York City: The pickings are slim between a lot of competition, and you better have game if you want some action. At the same time, if you come in with the wrong attitude, the wrong game, or otherwise wearing a big target on your forehead or back, you best be sure to look yourself in the mirror to see where the slings and bows of outrageous fortune landed on you.

So, did you ever stop to read that door labeled "Washington Fly Fishing" before you entered? Sure, one might expect to know the difference between the men's or the women's restrooms, but often people just rush in. Maybe next time you will check your rig before entering.

When this is all said and done, I would hope you might take up a fly rod and enjoy a sport as unproductive (just joking!) and as beautiful (definitely not joking) as the sport of soccer. Actually, in a way, fly fishing can be compared to boxing, as most of those who do each of these sports will agree that what they do is called, "The Beautiful Science." :thumb:

Tight Lines!
    --Dave E.

BTW, the Beardslee trout in Lake Crescent are unique to that lake. Sadly, they have also been horribly abused. Sure, you could try your best against some of the biggest trout that this state has to offer, but you might want to think twice. There are accounts of a creature that has spun boats on a dime and scaring the holy crap out of the hapless angler working that lake. I'm dead serious. You can Google the web for that story. Dude swore he'd never go back there again. I'm only doing you a favor by warning you.

18. flyrookie

flyrookie New Member

If what your saying is that i haven't earned the right to be called a Fly fisherman because i don't carry the rod so be it the title is not my concerns here...I guess that would be my mistake for titling myself one..I repsect all that you say,I respect all fish I catch not just Washington trout,They all get the same treatment with total care to live and fight another day.. I pay attention to the regs & understand where your coming from and would totally share your concern for this Hybrids...

Where I fish In california we have the same concerns and issues ,it's all about an anglers attitude weather it's Breadsley Trout or endangered California White Sea Bass..I would hope were all here as anglers try to conserve and protect what we love to do ...I am not trying to step on anyones toes or poach anybodies honey holes just trying to fish and maybe get some leads on differant areas for a new experience..I now am aware that Fly fishing is more of a purest form of fishing like an art form, but RESPECT is what matters in the end..We all have line ..we all have reels..we all use some type of bait and lures..We all want to bring the fish to the shore..We all want to release them to fight another day...

P.S. We are fishing from the shore so i doubt they'll be spinning us around there...We are there just to catch a few not catch the lake record...But appreciate your concerns and we not really scared of the loch mess monster !

Thank you for your Info...

19. Ed Call

Media:

:rofl: Off topic but funny as hell...thanks for the laugh ceviche!
    How many here have actually had to piss so bad you just rushed in? Finding no urinals...whoops. How many have been staning there, large public restroom holding your junk doing your business and in walks a confused lady who missed the suit vs skirt sign?:rofl:

20. Troutrageous

Troutrageous Active Member

Jim,
    I'll admit that my own response wasn't the most tactful either, I just felt like you could probably convince him to take care and fish responsibly with a little explanation, rather than just piss him off. No offense intended.

Mumbles,
    I once found myself in the stall of a women's restroom in an airport, I'd been in such a rush after the flight that I went in the wrong one. Of course I didn't bump into anyone on the way in so as to recognize my mistake in time, it had to be on the way out...