Help choose lake boat

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Josh Smestad, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Josh Smestad

Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Getting my tax return and was thinking of getting myself a little boat. I always wanted a jon boat with an electric trolling motor for lake fishing, is that the best option for fly fishing out of though? Looking for something stable enough to stand and cast in with room for a second person or sometimes my dog. Would a 12' row boat be stable enough(I know where I could get one with trailer in good shape) or should I be looking for a little pram? Thanks for your expertise on the subject, I'm new to boating.

2. FlyBC

FlyBC New Member

A good used boat would be a Harbercraft Flyfisher and if you are looking to buy new the Spratley would be a really good choice as it is fully welded.
    http://www.spratleyboats.com/index.htm

3. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

"I always wanted a jon boat with an electric trolling motor for lake fishing"

Well, then. Yes, it will hold you and your dog, yes it will do what you want, likely better than a 9 ' pram (though they're really nice, too). Get what you always wanted. It won't be your last.

4. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Great thread. It was like you read my mind. I too, have been thinking Jon boat, or pram. id definitely love to be able to launch over on possesion and circle the island inshore as well.....

5. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

I loved my 10' Koffler whitewater pram. If I had the $$$ I'd buy another in the wide back version. Probably THE most widest and stable platform for you and your dog. I'll have to suffice with my Springcreek for now...

6. willieboat

willieboat Member

Get the salt water trolling motor. You will want to fish in the salt.

Don

7. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Whats the general consensus on a 12' koffler pram? I think this would make a great lake platform, and still perform well on rivers. Plenty of room for your dog and gear.

8. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I think a 12' Koffler would be awesome as long as you don't mind trailering it. Once you start using a trailer, then a "little more" boat is a highly reasonable option. Just depends on what you really want and your needs.

9. bigfun4me

bigfun4me Team Infidel

Here's my vote:

10. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

I have a Koffler 12' WW pram. It is a great little boat! Mine is a pretty old one, so it is a bit heavier, but I can take it on easy moving water and lakes, very versatile. I take my two little girls and they have a ball, and easily seats two adults with plenty of room. Very stable. you easily take your dog with two adults as well. If buying new I would absolutely look at the wide back version.
    Bigfun, is that yours or is that a factory photo? Very nice looking.
    Great boat.

11. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

I fished with Big Fun and have seen his boat, he isn't a small guy either, so if that boat can support his height and weight, it will easily support up to 2 anglers and a dog. The wideback is the way to go, and its stable enough to do most of all the rivers here in WA.

12. bigfun4me

bigfun4me Team Infidel

Thanks Mike, that is my pram. It's the wide back style and performs much better than the narrow version I had previously.

13. Denny

Denny Active Member

Budget? Always a consideration when selecting boats - wink.

If you don't mind trailering a boat, and you have an opportunity to get a 12' boat, I'd be all over that. Check it out and see how you like it; if it works, great, if not, you can sell it. There is always a market for row boats . . .

14. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

I dont mean to threadjack , my apogies. I am planning on ordering the wide back 12' tomoro. Just out of curiousity, i notice that the have a motor notch as an option. Anyone ran a small outboard on one of these?

15. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

also, big fun, is that the 10' model???

16. Glenn Kramer

Glenn Kramer New Member

This 12' Koffler pram is a very interesting boat. Does anyone have experience with it for close to shore saltwater work? Or...with a small gas kicker, like a 4HP Honda? Lokks like a boat that can easily be dragged up on a beach. Any input is appreaciated. Thanks!

17. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

yes, I've done it with my 10' Koff and 5 HP honda 4 stroke. Its a bit undergunned and you can't get on plane, but its ok for near shore work. An 8 or even 10 hp 2 stroke would be a better choice for the 12' boat.

18. bigfun4me

bigfun4me Team Infidel

Jcalderon - my boat is the 10 ft. model. I have not used it with a gas motor.

Glen - I've put my boat in the sound many times with no problems. It is easy to drag around at 140 pnds.

19. Glenn Kramer

Glenn Kramer New Member

Thanks for the replies on the Koffler on saltwater use question. One more question, do your boat have transom notches (cut outs) for the motor. I'll be headed down to Albany, OR for the FFF Fly show in March and I am thinking to order one now that I can pick up during my visit, as Eugene is not far past Albany.

Again, many thanks! Glenn

20. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Glenn, I just ordered my 12' koffler today. Got the wide back option and the motor wedge, Not the notched transom. I will have to run a long shaft motor, but it should all work fine.