Help choose lake boat

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Josh Smestad, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Glenn Kramer

Glenn Kramer New Member

Yes, I just ordered a 12' pram from Joe today also. Just working out a few details on the option with him now. I am not geting the notched transom either. I may need to upgrade motors. Thanks for everyone's help. Regards, Glenn

2. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Media:
    Oh shit glen! Tell me all the options you got so I can try to one up you while there is still time left! HAHA Just playin man, congrats

3. Glenn Kramer

Glenn Kramer New Member

Thanks! We'll have to start a Koffler Klub and have a meet at some hot fishing spot. Enjoy your boat also. Let's chat! Glenn

4. Jesse, I remembered why I thought the short shaft would be ok as I had the transom notch in my boat which was more ideal for the short shaft. I ended up keeping the filler plate and mounted my LS on that, which was a bit softer than I liked. I would NOT recommend that, and the motor wedge would add more stability for an outboard. You guys will have a couple of nice boats, I want to see pics.

5. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Media:
    Thanks Yellow. I will definitely get the 20" or maybe 25" shaft. The 20 is considered a "long shaft right" Im a total outboard newb.

6. Glenn Kramer

Glenn Kramer New Member

I am making the same O/B decision. What HP are you thinking for the 12' pram? 8, 9.9 or 15? Thanks, Glenn

7. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Media:
    Im personally thinking 9.9, I really dont need to fly around the lake, and i think the 9.9 will push me around just fine.

8. Glenn Kramer

Glenn Kramer New Member

yes, That's what I thought also. I just ordered one! They are heavy though. Almost 100lb. for the long shaft. Thanks, Glenn

9. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Media:
    Danm glen. Im jealous, I actually had to bail on mine due to a tax mishap. (ended up owing money) Embarasing deal, and with a baby on the way, we cant swing the new boat. I am looking forward to seeing yours on the water.

10. Glenn Kramer

Glenn Kramer New Member

Yes, Joe Koffler mentioned this to me yesterday. Bummer. I should pick up mine on about March 1. I'll send some photos to you. Joe has been a pleasure to work with. Glenn

11. Glen, you will be the envy of many fly guys...

12. Glenn Kramer

Glenn Kramer New Member

Thanks, I guess Joe Kofler will have it at the Albany FFF show and I'll take it home from there. Looking forward to it. Glenn

13. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Media:
    Glen, any pics / progress reports yet? ????

14. Glenn Kramer

Glenn Kramer New Member

Hi, I ordered the pram and will pick it up when I go to the Albany FFF show on 3/13. I am looking forward to it. I believe Joe has started to build it. Thanks, Glenn

15. bbmfix

bbmfix New Member

I have had a porta bote (plastic folding boat) 12'6" since 2000 and it is the best lake boat I have ever owned. Folds flat to 7 inches, sets up in 10 minutes, can carry it by yourself re: portage, can store it easily, don't need trailer, just carry on roof rack on my old landcruiser. Never rusts, accepts up to 5 hp motor, seats 3, and best of all, extremely stable. Can stand 2 flyfishers at the same time casting without rocking or instability with most fixed hull boats. Have never tried or been in a pram, though. Also, has closed cell foam all around inside edge and on seats, floats even if full of water (unfortunately I know from experience). If interested, make sure you get the flat back transom model (Genesis 3 and above)...