Help me out!! I need some coho love

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jason Rolfe, Sep 5, 2012.

1. porterHause

porterHause Just call me Jon

Media:
    Jason,

I'm tying up some flies tonight and hitting LP tomorrow morning. If you're there, say hello to the dude with the camo hat trying to figure it out the same as you are. Maybe we can compare notes.

DKL, you're not being specific enough. You just described me to the 'T'.

2. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

One other thing I don't think was mentioned was that while these fish are in the salt, they are moving through quickly. You are fishing blindly to rips, currents, and fishing lanes in hopes that there is a fish there. They seem to be moving in small schools of five or six from what I have seen this years and at about twenty minute intervals, at least on the beach that I fish regularly. They are in about six feet of water and around 60 to 70 feet off shore, depending on the lay of the beach. Best to hit that beach at low tide sometime and check the structure so you have an idea of where the fish might be. Then you have a better chance but sometimes, they just aren't there. You have to keep at it to be successful.

3. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Hey Porter,

I think I pulled in behind you this morning--I was driving the Vanagon. Sorry we didn't get a chance to chat more. At least you got yourself a fish this morning, eh?;)

Hopefully I'll see you again and we can meet properly.

On another note, I did see Jimmy from Patrick's fly shop get one on the other side of the point. And some gear fishers pulled out 4 or 5. The wind was absolutely killer over there though.

Jason

4. porterHause

Media:
    Ahaha, it was a monster starry flounder, felt just a little bit better than pulling in that extra large clump of salad.

Was this action you speak of after the tide change? I checked out the north side of the point on my way out, and saw one fish on shore at around 745.

Wind was even worse in the afternoon. I ended up buzz bombing...hooked and lost one.

5. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    I'll be hitting the 4:30 tide change this afternoon for a few hours.

6. Brooks Werner

Brooks Werner Member

Media:
    Hey Jason-

I was in the silver truck yesterday morning, I think you came in behind me. Any luck? I was fishing the point just south of the Spey guy, had 2 nice fish jump in front of me early on but never saw anything the rest of the morning.

Brooks

7. porterHause

Media:
    Brooks,

You the southpaw? If so, I'm thinking the lineup was spey guy, you, me, Jason. Just trying to put names and faces to you folks.

I'm going to try to head out this afternoon, but I have a "client appreciation BBQ" to go to...joy.

8. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Nice. Awesome to meet you guys on here. I'll be sure and say hello next time I'm at LP.

I think Bob Young was out there--the older fellow wandering around with a wading staff (at least I'm pretty sure it was him). He came up and complimented me on my casting, which was pretty cool and humbling. I thought I was casting like shit yesterday morning, but if a local expert comes up and says great job, I'll take it!

See you guys out there next week, for sure.

Jason

9. holtad

holtad Active Member

I've been out there Tuesday and today (Thursday) and I'm a South Paw:) The gear guy (with a red back pack) was to my left both days and he's hooked up with a fish each day. Still cutting my teeth at this beach thing but I love being out for Sunrise. Next on the agenda is to get a stripping basket.

Love to hear how the afternoon tide change goes.

~Adam

10. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Go guerilla/diy style and snatch a shopping basket from Safeway or QFC or some other big store that won't miss it. You can slip a belt right through it and you're all set!

Just kidding...kind of.

11. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

Media:
    A McGyvered stripping basket can be fashioned in about 15 minutes and coast about $6 after a trip to your local dollar store: appropriate sized basket ($3), pack of zap straps for 'fingers' ($1.50) and a bungee cord or similar ($1.50).

ORRRR there are many DIY blog posts on this subject.

12. Blktailhunter

Blktailhunter Active Member

My two cents is to get wherever you are going early. Well before first light. I may get my ankles wet, but not by much. The coho are right against the beach. You can actually see the V-s as they swim within 5 feet from shore. And that is why I get there early. Before all the fishermen show up and wade in to the waist and scare the fish off the beach. I've been doing this on several 9/10 beaches depending on the tides and wind for the last 3 weeks and tomorrow I should finish out my catch card. The early bird gets the worm. There are a lot of fish moving through Admiralty right now. If you can't get to Bush or Lagoon Points on Whidbey there is a dynamite spot at some old fort right across the sound from them that is fishing real well. Of course there is the old standby at Point Hahd-skus. The boaters at Possession were getting double digit hookups this last weekend. I was at the weight-in last Saturday afternoon in Edmonds and the fishermen couldn't stop talking about how good the fishing was. Best they had ever seen was the word I was hearing.

ten80 likes this.
  13. Blktailhunter

Blktailhunter Active Member

I hit one of the above mentioned spots this AM. Done by 6:45. Just got back from getting a second catch card.

14. Brooks Werner

Brooks Werner Member

Media:
    Yup, I was the southpaw. Paid dividends in the wind! Went out the the peninsula today and landed a nice 12# hen. Hope to see you guys back out there soon!

Brooks