Help me overcome some of my ignorance

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Olive bugger, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Thom Collins

Thom Collins Active Member

Looks like the wing material on a Norm Wood Special. I'll stick to dyed calf tail or similar colored synthetic. My brain is in golden stone mode, sorry. Can't wait!

2. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Now I am wondering if "BURNT ORANGE" is in reference to the color of orange or to the method of obtaining the color orange. My ignorance grows more obvious by the minute.

I truly like the color of burnt orange bodies and have taken several nice trout on it. But I never gave any thought to the origins. I just figured the color looked like burnt orange. However you describe the color.

3. Preston

Preston Active Member

In re Hendrickson materials: the readers' letters section of one of the big fly fishing magazines had an exchange some years ago when a reader complained of not being able to achieve the correct shade even though he had nailed some fox belly fur to his backyard fence and had gone out after dark every night to piss on it. Someone responded to his letter, pointing out that he had left out one important step: after the fox pisses on his belly fur, he licks it off.

Jim Speaker likes this.
  4. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

It would have never worked. It must be the urine of a vixen fox. Female fox pee is the key for the color change. Urine from a drunk human male won't cut it. ...depending on the beer consumed.

5. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

In the case of the color "Burnt Orange" the method of obtaining the color is not the same.
    In fly tying, there are a few times when the term "burning" or "burned" is used. Two that come to mind are "burning" feathers which is the process of rubbing off the flue with an eraser. The term "burned" comes to mind in the matter we are discussing whereby the fur/hair is "burned" by an acid. Urine.
    Note to all: The process we all use from time to time of licking our fingers when applying dubbing is OK. However, it is the re-lick that presents the problem.

Jack

6. Jack Devlin

I think we could get a few dozen "Tups" from these guys 5819452437_5c8845976c_m.jpg

7. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

ha h ahhahh hahhahahahha hahah Ya think?

8. Olive bugger

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    I THINK I WILL STICK WITH THE GODDARD CADDIS.

9. gordo7

gordo7 --Just Another Happy Hooker--

10. gordo7

gordo7 --Just Another Happy Hooker--

11. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:
    Apparently one can achieve the same effect soaking dryer lint in mayonnaise for 5 days in the sun and then peeing on it just before you begin the dubbing loop.

In Scottish, Tups refers to any item soaked in ram's urine
    hence the name.

You may have heard the term...
    "cause when it comes to dubbing if its not Tups it's CRAP"

Which of course refers to the New Zealand version of the pattern
    the "DAGG"S Indispensable" tied from the dookey dyed dreads of wool that hang off a ram's anus.

This is an excellent pattern as it has a high floatability and can be skated on the surface often drawing a strike.

the fish do tend to spit it out fairly quickly so watch it

[​IMG]

12. Olive bugger

Reading that explaination, with the use of barbless hooks, and the fish's perchance to expel the fly, and the fact that I do not have a ram, I think perhaps I will use substitute materials, or forget about the tups altogether. This would make it, perhaps, a TUPS DISPENSABLE.

Bring on the Wolff Humpy.

13. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:
    do you have dryer lint and like beer?

14. Olive bugger

Yes and yes. I hope you are not suggesting that I ingest the beer and then dye the dryer lint? Hahaha.

I removed some clothing last night and noticed that the dryer lint was
    VERY CLOSE MATCH TO ADAMS GRAY. There is something wrong with a
    guy that is trying to match the dryer lint to the hatch color....

15. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    Next time you use the dryer add a greenish olive t-shirt to the mix, along with the gray and you will get a good callibaetis dubbing material. I will say your dubbing blender is way larger than mine as I only use a small coffee grinder.

I'd say the mix should be one greenish olive item to 4 gray items for the proper shade.

16. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:
    I dont know if it is wrong
    but I believe there is a 12 step program for those that do

Kcahill likes this.
  17. Olive bugger

Oh great, now I have to match the hatch for my wife to do laundry.
    She is not going to like this...

Jim Speaker and Gary Knowels like this.
  18. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:
    one bright red shirt in with the whites makes a nice pink cahill
    pink-cahill.jpg

19. Jack Devlin

A friend loaned me a book today, and when I flipped it open this page appeared and I was reminded of this thread. Scan 38.jpeg
    An interesting description of the Tups Indespensable.
    Jack

Olive bugger likes this.
  20. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Fly tying material is where you find it.

Deke Meyer once told me he was on a camping fishing trip and was tying flies at camp with his portable tying kit.

He had great success with a small Elk Hair Caddis but lost his last one. When he set up to tie additional adult caddis patterns, he found he forgot to pack elk or deer hair. His solution? He used hair he cut from his long, scraggly beard for the wing and of course... it worked.

This thread brings to mind an article I wrote that was published long, long ago in Flyfishing News and Reviews:

Bubble Bubble
    Gene Trump

A disturbing episode occurred recently in Salem, Massachusetts. It seems a small mob of local citizens had cornered a fly tier in his basement and were threatening him with chants of "burn the witch, burn the witch". He managed to fend them off with a bodkin in one hand and a battery-powered hook sharpener in the other. To say the least, he was concerned and confused over the actions of his neighbors. He was just about to put a drop of head cement on a Quill Gordon when the attack was launched. He felt lucky to escape with his life -- not to mention the Quill Gordon.

Actually, it is surprising this sort of event doesn't happen more often then it does. Sit down at your tying area and take a look around. What do you see? A rooster cape? (Nice name for chicken feathers). A few bucktails? (Chopped off some poor deer -- alive or dead, no one knows for sure.) Hare's mask? (A bunny's face for crying out loud!) And what about all those strange looking tools? More fur and hair. Another box of feathers. Wire, thread and chemicals. More parts of dead animals. Doesn't all this seem like the spooky stuff you'd find on the work bench of an alchemist?

Let's consider what we're doing here. We're using animal parts, thread, wool, chenille, plastic, steel, lead and glue to conjure up small, sharp bogus insects. And with this bogus bug, we plan to entice the attack of a fish. And the fish, of course, are intent on devouring the said bogus bug while the fisherman are sometimes intent on devouring the fish. Geez, this whole grizzly procedure does seem a bit grey on the color chart of dark arts.

I'm not saying that fly tiers are dabbling in the occult -- well, most aren't anyway -- but we all are familiar with some pretty strange recipes for flies. For example: "Use the urine stained underbelly guard hair from a vixen fox." or "two eyelashes from a five year old barn owl". Seriously, how far is all of this from "stir in eye of newt"?

Pish-posh you say, rubbish you say. Well maybe so and maybe not. What if someday you sit down at your vise and accidently spill head cement on the pheasant feather that happens to be stuck together by Polybond to the purple chenille, yellow yarn, red mink, white polar bear, green-colored African goat and the eyelashes from a five year old barn owl -- and after a puff of smoke, find yourself face to face with a seriously irritable demon that is not overly happy to find itself perched on your vise. Then what are you going to do? Grab two bobbins and make an impromptu cross?

There is no known way to tie flies and be assured that a conjuring accident won't occur. Your best bet to stock up on assorted talismans and good luck charms. You should also be on a constant lookout for puffs of purple smoke or black ravens that fly in and preen themselves while standing on your head. But most of all, beware your neighbors! Especially if they are piling firewood around a stake in your front yard.
    ###

Kcahill and Dave Evans like this.