Help me overcome some of my ignorance

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Olive bugger, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +408 / 0
    Very interesting article, Jack. Thank you for sharing. This subject conjures up thoughts of all of the various flies that are designed by both master and novice, given a name to instill immortality for the designer, either by intention or by accident, only to be bastardized by fellow tiers and customers.

I can imagine a seasoned fisherman, standing in mid stream, watching a neophyte trying, without success, to seduce a fat fish hiding under that overhanging tree yonder. He hails the luckless companion and hands him a fly that has been successful in bringing fish to net all morning. The new guy has no clue what the fly is, or represents, so he instills a name which he shares in his fish stories of the future. Hence, a new name is born for a old pattern. In some cases, the neophyte may dress this fly and improve on it's mystical qualities and bestow his choice of a name to it. A legend is born.

I so enjoy reading about the history of our sport and the thinking of some of the pioneers of fishing with a fly rod.

Sooooo, Gene, are you saying that tying, or rather, dressing of flies, is a BLACK ART?

Well, I suppose there is merit to that theory. Wearing a uniform of sorts might also contribute to the illusion. In order to invoke the demons to come forth, and invest an irresistible urge for the fish to consume our offering, we should chant mystical intonations, and don bizarre articles of attire, such as vest, waders and even an odd PFD, while using the tools of our witchcraft? Sounds about right, but perhaps a knuckle of your favorite libation might assist in the illusion in the tyers' own mind.
  2. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,587 / 0
    Perhaps not a BLACK ART but certainly grey :) We do use some pretty weird-ass stuff to tie flies that are supposed to represent bugs that fish eat... which, when you think about it, is odd from the get-go :eek:
  3. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Grey, black, no difference in my book. My neighbor still takes a very dim view of my stalking that prize rooster that crows every morning at the crack of dawn. Come to think on it, that cracking noise is bothersome also.
  4. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    If the rooster happens to be Royal Coachman brown in color, your neighbor should be worried. :)
  5. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Hehehehe. He (the rooster) is also in possession of some prime saddle hackle. Not that I would be interested in any of it. (Insert big grin here)
  6. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +963 / 1
    Is your neighbor named Whiting, Hoffman or Hebert? If so I will set a shooting blind up on the edge of your property.
  7. Thom Collins Active Member

Kirkland, WA
    Ratings: +65 / 0
    On occasion my wife will comment on my fly tying materials. She thinks the bunny mask is just horrid and has been known to abscond with some of my chironomid wire for her jewelry making. The comment that is most commonly heard refers to the hours of research and effort I spend in trying to create something to "fool" fish. She rates the intellectual challenge of this aspect of my favorite pastime to be equal to trying to outsmart slugs. She wonders if I'll ever step up to the challenge of trying to outsmart newborns. She frowns when I collect the dyer lint after laundering out sheets but it is such a wonderful light tan with just a hint of yellow that I can't help myself. But I draw the line on stealing my daughters arts and craft supplies. I'm so ashamed.
  8. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Yeah, Virginia isn't too keen on the bunny faces either. She's hung around fly anglers and tyers so long nothing really surprises her these days. In fact, if we're at a fabric store she sometimes brings me items to see if I can use them for tying flies.

Considering just about every room in our house and in some places, outside our house has to do with flyfishing, she's become immune.

I tried to teach her to tie flies but she was wise to that ploy. Dammit.
  9. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Years ago, a fellow employee of mine offered me a collection of deer tails that he and his family had collected. He knew that I tied for fun. Not wanting to tend to them, I put them in the freezer for safe keeping until I could tend to them. Well, I forgot about them for a few weeks. My wife went to open the freezer and not knowing what was in the package, she opened it. She was not impressed with being viewed by a buck behind. I still hear about that one, from time to time.