Help me with a Montana trip

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by JRSly, Jan 26, 2003.

1. JRSly

JRSly Oncorhynchus clarki clarki

Media:
    I am planning on making a trip to Montana this summer and I am wondering if anyone could give me some help with places to go. I am planning on driving over and spending about a week. So if anyone has any suggestions about where to go in Montana or even Idaho I would be very grateful. Oh and if it helps it will probably be the 1st week of august. I have a float tube, so lakes would be great, but I would rather fish rivers/streams but it doesn't matter, anything would be great. Also if it is possible could you give me the information about what kind of fish (and size so I know what rods I will need on that body of water) are located in the suggested area and the area of Montana it is in (I am not very familiar with Montana). I will be looking forward to hearing some suggestions, thanks in advance.

Sly

2. Greg Moore

Greg Moore New Member

I personally like fishing on the BitterRoot from Hamilton up to above Darby . But start in Missoula and you can hit the Clark Fork, Blackfoot, BitterRoot and Rock Creek. You can head up to the Flathead region or over to Georgetown Lake. Lots of choices!

Here are some Montana sites that might help.

http://www.flyfishingquotes.com/montanashops.htm

http://www.montanaonthefly.com/motfbb/

http://www.kingfisherflyshop.com/

http://www.fourrivers.net/

Weather now (snow fall or lack of) will determine how fishing will be in August but early August should be better than later.

Good luck!

Greg

"In our family, there is no clear
    line between religion and fly
    fishing" Norman Maclean

3. Crump

Crump Member

Media:
    I would Missoula is a good place to start. The Clark Fork, in my opinion, is the most underratted river in Montana. So all the missoula rivers are good. Also if you want to get some HUGE(26"+) rainbows, go up to Browns lake, up the blackfoot valley. Just look for it on a map near the blackfoot. I went the the University of Montana last year, so I have a years worth of fishing experience in the Missoula area. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you. A few more ideas outside of missoula would be the beaver head(if there is any water) and the very upper clark fork at warms springs, night fishing for big, hungry browns. This would be a good place to go especially if you go fish the beaverhead for a few days and you can hit warm springs on the way back. I hope this helps and send me an email and we can discuss it more in depth.
    good luck
    crump:thumb

4. Luv2flyfish

Luv2flyfish Another Flyfisherman

What area are you looking at specifically? That will help on places to fish. My parents live in Montana, and I am from Idaho - I know the waters pretty well. Let us know what area you are thinking of and I will do my best to get you dialed in.

J

5. JRSly

Media:
    I don't really know what area I am thinking of going to. I would probably rather fish the west side of Montana because it isn't as long of a drive. I can spend more time out side of the car and on the river if it is on the west side. But, I guess it doesn't really matter.

6. JRSly

Media:
    Thanks, this is very helpful. I am planning on getting a nice map before I go (I almost picked one up today at Creekside) and just plotting some spots out, and this information you have given me is great. Thanks a lot for the help.

7. Luv2flyfish

I dont know if you prefer the well beaten path or path less traveled when fishing. I will give you 2 spots, NW Montana (near Kalispell). These are 2 rivers that I found last November while visting my folks. These are 2 of my little montan honey holes, so it wont be too specific, but you know what I am saying. Go to Kalispell, Take HWY 2 WEST towards Libby. You will fisrt come to the Thompson River Road - its a very busy logging road. THEY HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY!!! THis road is a 34 mile long dirt road, through a beautiful canyon, that will dump you at Thompson Falls. Neeldless to say, you will be running parallel to the Thompson River. You will cross the first bridge about 5 miles in. From that bridge hang a left and continue down the canyon. You will see a large sign containing a map of the river, and the regs. I fished this river for 3 days last november, and I was the only person out there fishing. There is camping access near the river, virtually the whole way down. There is not alot of pressure on the river, at least in the fall. I wont about summer until I go back there in a couple months. I only caught 2 small trout there, 12 inchers, A beautful brown and a fat little hook jawed male Bow. Every other fish was 17 Inches or better. Usually caught 4 to 8 trout per 3 hours of fishing with about 4 whitefish varying in size for every trout. I fished my 3 wt with the Normal ol nymphs. They were rather partial to my BH PTail as are alot of trout and they hit BD Princes well too. A truly beautiul river. The lower stretches, past about mile marker 25 the river gets big and slow - stay higher in the water shed - you will see what I mean. I can send a couple pictures if you like, just contact me.

#2: A little farther west on HWY 2 towards Libby and running into Libby is the Fisher River. You will take the McKillup road and head in about 4 miles, road makes a sharp right and you will see the river. This river winds back and forth across Hwy 2 for quite some time. This is small water, and has some good fishing. I didnt fish that river, but I checked it out. My brother recommended that river to me who lives in the area. I will fish that one further this summer as well. BE ADVISED: McKillup road is also a busy Loggin road - Again, trucks have the right away. There are a Vast number of lakes in that area as well - VERY Beautiful country. Kalispell and Libby have all the accomodations you would need. Another OPtion in the Kalispell area is Glacier National Park, and the Bob Marshall Wilderness / Hungry Horse Wilderness. Dont Forget Flathead lake, by far the most beautiful peice of still water I have ever seen, besides, some of the lakes in the Sawtooth Wilderness in Idaho. Just a little tid bit of info for ya -

J

8. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    I can second the Thompson. It's a fun little stream with lots of fish and wildlife all around. Just don't waste your time with it if the water is too low. I fished it during September a few years ago when all the Montana rivers were low and it was a waste. One 6" brown between two people was all we managed to hook. The Swan River, south of Bigfork, can be good too. It's your typical western cutthroat stream. Lots of fish (cutts and bows) in and around brush and logs.

If you want a little adventure, check out the tributary streams and lakes to Hungry Horse Reservoir. If you explore a little you can find big cutts, bull trout, and grayling. Just be careful and watch for grizzly bears. Two seasons ago I pulled a 17 1/2" grayling out of a lake up there.

9. Luv2flyfish

GREAT POINT on Hungry Horse. There are some Monsters back in there if dig around a little - VERY STONG EMPHASIS needs to be places on "watch for Griz" My Brothers and Sisters spend much time in the Bob Marshall and He frankly has a few too many Grzzly stories. Just watch out and use common sense. Me personnaly - I dont head for Grizzly country without my .45. They can take my license for the rest of my life - I dont care - If it comes down to me and a Griz - Mr. Griz WILL Loose and I will walk away. Thats just me.

10. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    If your looking to Fish and Getaway, check out this place where my wife and I spent a week at for our honey moon: http://fireholeranch.com/
    If you don't have any luck at the rivers, check out Hebgen Lake and fish off shore for GULPERS between 3-7pm. MASSIVE Browns and Rainbows within 100ft of the shore all catchable on dries! 15-24 inchers!~

Peter ><>

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men"
    Matthew 4:19

11. JRSly

Media:
    This is very helpful. The first time I think I was nine and the second was when I was ten. Both times I went with my grandma, grandpa and my brothers (two and four years older than me). We fished around Libby dam, I remember that, and I also remember catching some really nice fish, but that is about all I remember. This information is great, I am really going to look into the Thompson, it sounds just like the place I am looking for. I think it is time I buy that map I was looking at. Thanks again.

Sly