Help plan a two week trip!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Rick Todd, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +206 / 0
    My wife and I along with another couple are heading out September 1 until the 14th. We bring the drift boat and a pontoon or two as well as a camper on each of our trucks. This year I'm concerned that there is smoke and forest fires to deal with in a lot of Idaho and Montana. Thinking of BC or southern Oregon and northern CA, but would like some reports from guys in various areas regarding river flows, smoke etc. We are flexible on destination, but looking for nice scenery and good fishing. Thanks in advance! rick
  2. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +772 / 0
    Rick. you could call the guys in the Fly Shop in Redding, and see what's fishing well there. There's also the Humboldt Bay area on what they call the "lost coast". Good scenery, but way too many hippies there for me. There's a fly shop in Eureka. We're having trouble getting past the bakery in Twisp, though:D
  3. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Alex-Patty would just as soon go to the cabin for a couple weeks (and send me to the Cinnamon Twisp in the morning!) and forget the camper thing, but our friends want to do the trip! Rick
  4. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +168 / 0
    Highway 24 - "The Fishing Highway" between 100 Mile House & Little Fort has a lot of options for camping fishing. Also some good options in the Kamloops & Logan Lake areas. Take a look at the BC fishing sites.

Cinnamon Twisps are worth the trip.
  5. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +891 / 1
    Now there's a good suggestion. I was up by Quesnel a few years ago and getting snowed on the end of September. Quesnel is a hundred miles or a tad more north of 100 Mile House.

You could also go out Highway 20 west of Williams Lake. Some drive to lakes out there have good sized trout.
  6. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    I was wondering with the extra warm summer we are having if the lakes up there would be fishing very well. Rick
  7. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +891 / 1
    Find a fly shop or resort in the general area you are thinking of and give them a call. Beware of the "Jack" factor. We went to a place a number of times, owner's first name was Jack. The fish were always bigger and more plentiful in the stories than in actuality. Made for excellent stories and a label we called the "Jack factor".
    muknuk likes this.
  8. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,129 / 0
    Where in Southern Oregon where you thinking? There's a multitude of forest fires around Medford so you may not want to plan on anything in that area.

Central Oregon around Bend might be a better choice. There is a multitude of lakes on Century Drive and of course East lake on the other the east side of La Pine. All have nice scenery. East has hiking trails for those so inclined.
    Duane J likes this.
  9. Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    There is always the Elk River Valley in the Fernie BC area? You could hit the Elk, various tributaries (Michel creek and such). Make your way to the Oldman, Livingstone and on and on ...

Stew
  10. Alosa Active Member

Seattle
    Ratings: +137 / 1
    I would forget about northern California for now. There are a number of fires that are putting a damper on things. Heading north is probably a better option.
  11. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +168 / 0
    Rick, now you just have to make a decision. If you look at reports from earlier Septembers up in the area, it should give you an idea of how they fish in the fall.

You might check in the the cabin / campground at Sheridan Lake to see what fall fishing is like. Gonna be a bit cooler but shouldn't be too bad.
  12. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    We did Fernie and the Elk about 5 years ago-and it was awesome fishing. Went over and hit the Crowsnest (mostly caught small fish) and the Oldman which fished good. There is also the Wigwam and St Maries. After that we went up to Calgary and fished the Bow with a friend from the area-very large trout!. On the way home we went through Glacier, floated the MF Flathead, Kootenai and hit Winthrop at the end of the trip-a great time on that one! Rick
  13. Denny Wagenman Active Member

Ratings: +25 / 0
    Who knows where the next fires are going to be in a week or so. I just got a note from a friend that lives near West Yellostone. He says the Henry' Fork is fishing good. He fished the SF of the sanke last week and between two people they had a 50+ day. So I would recommend those two rivers then drop down to the Green in Utah. On the way home fish the SF of the Boise and the Owyhee in Oregan.
  14. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +614 / 1
    South Fork Snake River no doubt. 2-3 day camp/float trips...either Pallisades to Conant or Conant to Byington...or both. Hoppers should be in full swing and lots of braided channels for extra credits.
  15. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    I had actually thought about the Yellowstone/Teton area, HF, SF Snake, Palisades Creek. I've never fished the Green and would like to. Also, the river flowing from Yellowstone into Cody (forget the name) looks fishy as well. So no fires in that area right now? Rick
  16. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    Rick: I think you mean the Clark Fork of the Yellowstone (not to be confused with the Clark Fork of the Columbia, which flows west along I-90 in Montana).
  17. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +614 / 1
    Does not appear to be at this time.
    http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/
  18. Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Red Bluff, CA
    Ratings: +119 / 0
    I live 5 minutes from the lower Sacramento River, and is on fire right now. Call The Fly Shop in Redding, CA.
  19. Denny Wagenman Active Member

Ratings: +25 / 0
    The Green is beautiful. You could float that for 3 days easily. I have fished it the past 4 years. I have just as much luck wading as floating