Help Please! (SRC)

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Anyfish, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Anyfish

Anyfish Fishing with the kids

OK, I have decided that enough is enough and I am determined to at least hook a SRC in the salt this year. I have been after SRC off and on in the salt for the last few years with out so much as a bump bawling: . I need some help. What am I doing wrong? I use a 6wt with an intermediate line, and I have tried many different flies, read books/magazines, but nothing. I have fished many of the public beaches around Olympia (I live a little south of Olympia), but no luck.

2. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Help Please!

How many times do you think you have fished for them? It probably took me 5 or 10 different trips to different beaches before I caught one, after that they started coming easier. In reading your post it sounds like you educated yourself on what you need to do to catch fish. Are you fishing the same beaches on different tides?

3. Anyfish

Help Please!

I have been out a dozen times or so to different beaches. I have fished mostly outgoing tides.

4. RedFive

RedFive Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Dude, you're close to a great beach that produces SRC almost year round! Ibn's right, though, their elusive nature can sometimes make you feel like you'll never catch one. I think I had to go out for them as many times as he said before I caught one. But after that, I was hooked! PM me and we can talk more about it.

5. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    Anyfish, each beach seems to have its own optimum tide, say first couple of hours after tide turn, or last couple before tide change, but more importantly than timing the tide may be to get down there at first light.

This time of year is a bit tougher than it will be as we get into April and beyond. Fewer and more selective fish, IMHO. Elusive, yes, but they are out there. Once you get a couple of beaches and the SRC figured out expect your batting average to creep up to about .750 over time, but you'll still get spanked every once in a while just to keep your ego in check. Are they worth it? you betcha!

6. Anyfish

I don't mind getting spanked here and there, but I just want to get at least a hook up. I will just keep at it. Redfive I am sending the PM.

7. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Media:
    I think the number one thing when you hit the beach is confidence. The one time I caught a SRC(I've fished for them maybe 7 times), I was sure I would catch something, because I saw chum salmon rolling, and I knew some cutts would be following. Try varying the way you strip your fly. Also, attractor patterns will be your best bet unless you really know your marine biology. I think fishing the sound is just nice. You can be in the middle of a big city, yet the water is so peaceful, just waves, ships and birds, and hopefully fish. So, yeah, try some clousers in various colors, tie some saltwater bunny leeches, and say "today, i'm going to catch a cutthroat". then say, "I'm good enough, i'm smart enough and doggonnit, people like me."

8. wolverine

wolverine Member

I cheat... I troll until I get one to strike, then start casting to them. I do the "see bottom on one side of the boat but not the other" to get the proper depth. I do seem to have better luck on an incoming thru high tide.

9. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    iagree
    I guess I cheat as well. Best way to cover water.

10. martyg

martyg Active Member

Yes. Confidence. You must summon the fish. You must make ask it to show itself and prove that you are a worthy opponent. You must be crafty and make it beleive that this is life or death, when all that you really want to do is trick it with your barbless hooks. Those are the first steps.

As your skill and insight develops, you will be one with the fish; one with the water; one with nature. Only then will you truly be able to wear the title of SRC fisherman with pride and dignity. Only then will you have the knowledge and skill to save the village from the gear fisherman.

Now go young Anyfish. Take what you have learned and summon the SRC.

Sorrrrrrrry – got carried away.:)

11. Anyfish

Thanks for the replies. I guess I will start fishing all tides and try some new spots. If I could just hook one, my confidence would go up.

12. Teeg Stouffer

Teeg Stouffer Fish Recycler

Media:
    Home Page:
    Try something sculpin-ey.

Olive over white marabou clouser
    Weighted muddler, marabou, olive
    Wooley bugger with lead eyes

Fish slow and low.

I fished the chartreuse deer hair clouser, and a handful of other popular flies, to no avail for a while, went slow and low, finally got into fish, and have figured out when one works better than the other. But the sculpin pattern, I'd investigate that route if I were you - and stick with it.

13. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Media:
    Anyfish, I would add that you should start fishing with your feet on the beach. I have seen many people wade right in upto their waist and start casting. Start casting close to the beach. Many of my fish have taken in 18" of water. I liken it to Steelhead fishing the river. Cover the close water and then gradually move out to deeper water. If you don't get any takes, move down the beach and start over. These fish can be nomads so always be ready to move to find them. Teeg has some good suggestions on flies. If the fish are there, they will slam his choices.
    Good luck, Steve

14. espja

espja New Member

Media:
    Redfive,
    That's another newbie you helped this week with the SRC's.
    I commend you on your generosity. :)
    You the man!
    Joe

15. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Media:
    One point I'd like to make is that on an outgoing tide, the current moves food out over the deeper parts, so I'd guess that you're less likely to find fish shallow in that situation. I'm not super-experienced, but i'm in an oceanography class(what a joke), and I'd assume that it's vice-versa on an incoming tide. I know that this is the salt forum, but when do these fish move up rivers to spawn? And should I approach them the same as I would steelhead or salmon?

16. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

It should also be kept in mind that when fishing for coastal cutthroat we are fishing for wild fish that aren't present in nearly the numbers that you'll find in a hatchery driven situation such as when a lot of young resident coho are present.
    In fact, coastal cutthroat in south Puget Sound are still in a recovery mode from when sportsmen lobbied to get them declared catch-and-release in 1997 (when they were in severe decline). Many of their spawning creeks are not in the best condition to be condusive to high spawning success. In addition, coastal cutthroat grow very slowly; and 18-incher may be up to ten years old.
    As has been stated on this thread, there is a lot to learn to become a regularly successful coastal cutthroat fisherman. It is not a stacked deck like we might experience in an annually stocked lowland lake. Learn about your quarry, its envronment, its habits and remember that the coastal cutthroat is highly mobile during its time in saltwater. They may be at a beach one day and gone the next.
    As you concentrate more on learning about the fish and the fishing; the catching will eventually begin taking care of itself.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson

17. RedFive

RedFive Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    No dude, YOU'RE the man. The pictures say it all, right? You up for fishing again this weekend? I think we're heading out Saturday afternoon...

18. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

19. willieboat

willieboat Member

Media:
    One tip, don't wade too deep when hunting SRC's.

Don

20. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Anyfish:

Sent you a PM but not sure if it got mailed. So if you didn't get it, I'll send you another.

Keeping a detailed journal will greatly increase your success rate when fishing for SRC. Record what part of the tide you are fishing and amount of current. SRC like to site on the edge of current seams in the "softer" water and are not usually in "heavy" current unless they are feeding on baitfish which are being swept along by the current. SRC have a tendency to stay "put" along current seams and the down current side of gravel bars as they sit and wait for a "meal" to come by. So check out the areas that you are fishing to see what the bottom structure is like during a low tide. Even small depressions will allow SRC to easily hold on the bottom which is usually where they like to "sit" since there is less current there. Note all this in your journal so that over time you hopefully can determine which part of the beach has the best fishing and what part of the tide.

A couple of gravel bars which I fish have nice current swepting across them on both the ebb and flood tides. You would think that they would fish about the same on either tide. But some gravels bars fish better on the ebb tide while others fish better on the flood tide. Note that in your journal.

keeping a journal stimulates you to be observant and is invalueable sometimes in determing patterns/trends of SRC and over time helps to establish the time of year various locations fish best. It takes some effort to get in the routine but it will pay off for your in the long run if a person is serious about fly fishing for SRC on Puget Sound.

Roger