Help Please! (SRC)

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Anyfish, Jan 18, 2006.

1. espja New Member

Redfive,
    I'll give you a call Friday.
  2. wet line New Member

Burien, WA, King.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Knowledge is the key. Les Johnson's newest book Flyfishing Coastal Cutthroat Trout is a must read whether you are new to the SRC's or fished them for years. A lot of what has been posted here is in the book and a lot more. Once your knowledge base begins to expand read the book again and you will find even more data to aid in the search for the elusive sea trout.

I cann't thank Les enough for his latest book. Well maybe I should be upset because it will aid so many people in becoming better SRC fishers :)

Dave
  3. Anyfish Fishing with the kids

Olympia, WA
    Thanks for the replies.:thumb:
  4. troutingham Member

Seattle,Wa
    how old is a 25 inch src???
  5. Les Johnson Les Johnson

.Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Troutingham,
    You may never see a 25-inch coastal cutthroat in the salt, if that is your question. They top out at around 20-22 inches and can be between 10 and 12 years old. And searun cutthroat of this size are rare. The occasional searun coastal cutthroat that reaches 25-inches can be a cutthroat /steelhead hybrid. Conversely, coastal cutthroat in large lakes (Washington, Buttle, etc.) can reach double digits in weight and considerable length.
    Check my book "Fly Fishing Coastal Cutthroat Trout" out of the libarary and read up on these fish. There are no easy answers for most of the questions that often appear in the threads on bulletin boards. They are indeed a wild and mysterious trout.
    Les Johnson
  6. RedFive Member

Initech
    Ratings: +1 / 0

Gee Paul, I guess that monster cutthroat you caught last year might not have been a cuttie at all. At least, that's what the man says. Don't worry, I still believe you. :D

After all, I saw several 18+ inch cutthroat and a few 20+ ones landed a week or so ago, so I think it's still possible. Where have you been fishing, BTW? PM me when you get a chance.

I wonder how long the state record was--it was 6 lbs, so it must have been bigger than 20".
  7. Anyfish Fishing with the kids

Olympia, WA
    I guess I would be happy with a 20+ fish.........just kidding, I would be happy with any.