HELP!!!! Pontoon Bladder Leaking

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by mdjm66, Jun 7, 2006.

1. mdjm66

mdjm66 Member

Hi there:

Well, I have trip coming up this weekend and thought I would test the pontoons to ensure there is no leak, sure glad that I did, because one of the bladders has a pinhole on one of the seams.

Question is, how do I repair it? I put a bunch of aquaseal around the hole, is that enough to stop the air from coming out, or is there another method that I should be looking at.

Really appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Dean

2. Swandazi

Swandazi Kevin

you could patch it... i got a patch for mine at a gi joes store.. also depending on the brand and how long you can wait, you could get a free air bladder for it if you have a warentee.

3. Sageman

Sageman Member

The aquaseal should be enough. I have an outcast with the urethane bladder and the aquaseal is all I need. I just use some soapy water to find the hole, dry it off and mark it, and then seal it like you did and let it sit overnight to dry.

4. mdjm66

mdjm66 Member

Thanks Sageman, I did let it dry overnight, pumped it up this morning outside of the skin, no leak. So, I threw it back in the skin, pumped it up and we will have to wait and see how it is at the end of the day.

I think it may have got too hot in the garage yesterday and it expanded, causing the little pinhole in the seam.

I do have a call to my local shop up here to see if they have a spare, they are usually really good with warrantying this stuff.

Dean

5. Sageman

Sageman Member

The important thing is to carefully wash out all the little bits of sand and debris when you open the thing. When I repaired my first one, I kept getting additional pinholes until I realized what was causing them, little bits of gravel. I carefully washed out the inside and (knock on wood) haven't had a problem since.

6. mdjm66

mdjm66 Member

Thats a great point, never thought about those little bits of Gravel.
    I have talked to the shop, they dont have a spare kicking around, but, Outcast will warranty it, because it opened on the seam.

Hopefully the aquaseal does the trick for the weekend.

:eek: