Help to clarify

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by NewTyer1, Dec 15, 2012.

1. NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Ratings: +29 / 1
    What is the difference between Spey and Switch fishing? As I have never did anything other than light weight single hand fly fishing. Thanks in advance for your help.

Scott
  2. Robert Engleheart Robert

Lemoore, CA
    Ratings: +111 / 0
    No difference, Scott. Difference is the rods; a switch is generally considered to be a double-hand rod (with extended fore grip and 3" or longer butt) 11' long or less. Spey rods run 12'-18', most common in 12'-6" to 13'-6" in USA. Casts are the same. You can also make Spey casts with a single-hand rod albeit not as sweetly. I am no expert so let others correct me if mistaken.
  3. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,402 / 0
    A switch rod you can also cast one handed like you do with your shorter rods.
  4. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    The difference is merely one of degree, like basketball played by people averaging 5' 9" vs. basketball played by people averaging a foot or so taller. Switch rods (meaning, I say, rods of less than twelve feet) usually perform with line bellies/heads ten to 20 % shorter than for spey rods. Switch casting strokes are usually done more crisply than spey casting, as you'd expect. Switch rods may be used with one hand at times, but both are routinely cast with two hands. That's all.