help with rocky ford creek

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by newflyguy, Nov 21, 2002.

1. newflyguy

newflyguy New Member

newflyguy

I am going to rockyford around thanksgiving and I was wondering what flies to use and what size.

2. Woollyworm

Woollyworm New Member

Probably the most effective fly on the Ford year-round is an olive scud, tied on #18 and #16 hooks. This time of year, it's definitely your best bet. I tie mine with a few wraps of lead wire around the hook shank. This helps the fly get down to the trout and bounce along the weedbed with the real scuds.

There are two key tricks to fishing scuds at the Ford. The first is to find a fish that is clearly feeding on scuds. If you see a trout nosing its face in the weeds and waving its tail in the air, you've probably got a winner. The second trick is to give the scud a very subtle jigging action at just the right moment to catch the trout's attention.

Also, don't use indicators. Instead, keep a very close eye on the fish. When you see the white wink of the inside of the trout's mouth, that's when you raise your rod tip.

This technique can take a while to learn, but keep at it. Once you get it dialed, you can have some great days on the Ford hooking up monster 'bow after monster 'bow.

Good fishing,
    ww

3. Tom Merrill

Tom Merrill Member

I second Woollyworm's advice! I've had some hot fishing on cold days there. In early spring, try a beadhead pheasant tail as well.

- Tom

4. aaron j

aaron j Member

Media:
    Another method if the scuds aren't working is to use a single egg pattern and dead drift it through likely areas. I tie one with a lead wrap, red chenille to poke out at the ends, and flourescent orange. It has proven very productive in the cold months. Good luck! :THUMBSUP

5. XstreamAngler

XstreamAngler ...has several mistresses.

Media:
    Home Page:
    If NONE of that works, try TNT! One stick here, one there, duck behind a rock to avoid being splattered by Ford Slop! Remember it is C-N-R there, so set them free after you find them! :THUMBSUP OR....go with a Kauffmans Stone..Black #2!!!!

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    What do I know---I'm just an old man

The last time I was over there I didn't remember seeing any tree's there. :CONFUSED

Jim

7. SeaClarki

SeaClarki New Member

Media:
    Yet another technique is to cast a scud out and let it sink to the bottom. Once a trout comes along give it a couple of twitches, the fly may kick up a little plume of mud, and with any luck the fish will speed up to inhale your fly. Works great and your cast doesnt need to be as gentle since your fly will just be sitting on the bottom till a fish swims along. :THUMBSUP

8. Dal68

Dal68 New Member

Out of curiosity, are these fish that easy to see from the bank? I've never fished Rocky Ford. Where the heck is this place? I've heard lots of good things about it. Wouldn't mind checking it out before winter hits. :COOK

9. jeffw2

jeffw2 New Member

All the above advice is great, but don't forget to keep an eye out for a hatch. The dry fly action can be fun.

Where is this place? Use the map server function on the home page.

Are the fish really that easy to see from the bank? Yup. Be sure to bring you Polaroids.

Jeff W.

10. MacRowdy

MacRowdy Idaho Resident Craftsman/Artisan

Media:
    Home Page:
    newflyguy,

All of the above advice is great. I was there yesterday and fished for about an hour and a half. Hooked 3 and just landed 1.

It was windy so I couldn't see any of the fish I was casting to. Anyone who knows me knows exactly what I was fishing with.

Good luck and give us a report. Maybe I'll see you out there.

MacRowdy :THUMBSUP

11. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    What do I know---I'm just an old man

East of Ephrata off of Hiway 17 Pg 69 of your Washington Atlas and Gazetteer.

Jim