help with selection rotary vise?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Fishing Alaska, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Fishing Alaska

Fishing Alaska New Member

Hi! New to the forum. Can you guys and gals tell me a few selections of good rotary vises? best bang for the buck? I was looking at a Renzetti Presentation 4000 but not to sure I want to sink that much into one.

Thanks for any help!

2. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Fishing Alaska,
    There is a great Fly club in Anchorage, The Alaska Fly Fishers. They could help you.
    Many vise choices. You couldn't go wrong with one of the Renzetti vises.
    Jack AFFLogoTransparent.png

3. Fishing Alaska

Thanks but not really interested in a club. Im back and forth between here Idaho and Eastern WA.

4. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

I had the 4000 and it was a very good vise, but at that price point you will have several outstanding vises to choose from and I suggest taking a look at a few to see which one you like (or dislike) the best. Not sure where you are in E. WA or ID, but you may want to hit the fly shops in the Spokane - Coeur d'Alene area to try a few out. I think Cabelas on the border has the Renzetti vises?

5. GAT

GAT Active Member

I primarily use a Dyna-King Barracuda Jr and love the thing.

Jerry Daschofsky likes this.
  6. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

go to your local fly shop and sit down with their demo vises and tie some flies. the decide which one YOU liked. buy it

7. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Norvise or danvise, ones a little slower :)

8. Jaydub

Jaydub Member

Just to round out the choices, have a look at the Peak. Great value IMO.

9. tkww

tkww Member

I have a Renzetti. It's been fine. I've heard of issues of the jaws breaking, but I haven't had that problem.

However, having said that, let me see if I can talk out of one: :)

My next vice will be a "conventional" Dyna King--not sure which one, but one of those. ( http://www.dyna-king.com/vises/ )

Two reasons. 1) I don't use the rotary that often. Rotary does do a great job of evenly spaced wraps. No doubt about that. But by the time I hitch the thread, swing the cradle out, get everything ready to go and start rotating, I would have been half or most the way through wrapping whatever I was going to wrap. IOW, it doesn't save me any time usually. (I do highly recommend rotary-handled hackle pliers!!). What I do use the rotary feature for all the time is flipping the fly sideways or upside-down. But I don't need a true inline rotary for that.

2) the reason I don't like the V-shaped rotaries is that they make it harder to get your hand down onto the fly/hook when placing materials. The left part of the V--the shank or whatever you'd call the part of the vice connected to the jaws--blocks your hand/wrist and keeps it artificially higher above the level of the fly. Obviously it's not impossible to tie on one--many people use them and I've used one for years and years. But it does make it harder and makes the angle much more unnatural, in my opinion.

So based on those two things I plan on buying a Dyna King next time around. It looks like their "supreme" allows you to drop the vice angle and pretty much turn it into an inline rotary if you really wanted to for a specific pattern.

Anyway, just my thoughts. As I said, I've used a Renzetti for years w/o any problems. (I do wish the base was heavier, but not a big deal.)

Dave Evans likes this.
  10. Jack Devlin

Some thoughts:

First, decide if you want to do full rotary tying or just have a vice that rotates (for inspection, tying on bottom of hook). Most vises will do that. Then, decide what type of jaws you like. Try them out at a shop if you can. Three main types: Cam/lever as on the Renzetti you mentioned, Collet type as on a Dyna King Baracuda and other models, HMH etc., clamp type like a Regal. Then there is the Norvise type which kind of has it's own niche. Decide how much $$$$$$ you are willing to part with. For as many vises there are on the market you will find twice as many opinions as to which is best. There are many good vises to choose from.
    If you don't want to spend too much, a pair of vise grips will do:) or get an inexpensive India/Pakistan vise to get you started.
    Good luck.
    Jack

Dave Evans likes this.
  11. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

Jack and tkww have some great advice. tk's #2 was the only complaint I had about my 4000. True rotary is also very popular, and I can see why after watching a demo of the Nor Vise at a fly expo. But I am more like Jack and only use the rotary to inspect. Try a few out and get one you will enjoy for the type of tying you do.

12. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

IMG_0879.JPG IMG_0880.JPG IMG_0881.JPG Best bang for the buck? Probably the Danvise. At under $100 I don't know what more a $500 vise could do beyond draining my bank account of 400 extra dollars.

I bought this one about 10 years ago to install on my portable station and honestly haven't tied on my Regal or Norvise since. I tie about 500 flies a year or less and couldn't ask for or want a better vise. It is one of those Goldilocks products that hits the sweet spot on price, function and ease of use. If only they made 4X pickups to such a recipe........

Ive

Jim Wallace likes this.
  13. Fishing Alaska

I have a few older vises. Just not a rotary model.

14. Fishing Alaska

Im currently in Alaska. I have checked out what is available but so far just one shop has high end jigs. There is one that I was told was going out of business but with my work schedule we have been missing each other. Im new up here so there may be more shops but I haven't found them yet

15. Jaydub

Jaydub Member

I have exactly the same issue with the inline rotary vises. It's why I tie 90% of the time on my Regal. Maybe If I had first learned to tie on a rotary it would be different. There are some patterns that the inline rotary function is a advantage and hand position isn't an issue. That's when I get out the Peak.

16. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Regal rotary certainly isn't as sexy looking as many, but it is rock solid and brain dead simple.

17. Jack Devlin

Mountain View Sports in Anchorage??

18. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

I've had a Renzetti Traveler for the last 8 or 9 years and it's been nothing but solid. I did suffer a jaw break last week, but I'd tied thousands of flies on the stock jaws, but I got my new set in 4 days to my door. Other then that its done everything I ask of it. It's defiantly worth the investment unless your going to routinely tie 8/0 or #28 bugs, where I would get a model with a wider range of hook sizes