Here is A rare treat for you

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Beachmen, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Beachmen Active Member

Port Orchard
    Ratings: +77 / 0
    Found this fishing the Hood Canal a week ago. we did not land any fish and got blown out. but after finding food sources including some sandlances and shrimps in the sand we found this. a 3ft+ polychete Worm. normally I find them at 6-12in for a normal average but this guy is massive. it was nice to find all those food items for giving the guy in the picture a lesson on SRC diet
    IMGP0640.JPG
    JesseCFowl, Eyejuggler and daveypetey like this.
  2. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,030 / 1
    I have never encountered one that long.
    Beachmen and Eyejuggler like this.
  3. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    Ratings: +350 / 0
    ;)
    wolverine and Beachmen like this.
  4. Beachmen Active Member

Port Orchard
    it was very funny watching him find that thing. he grabbed it and pulled about 18in of it out and it kept going so we started digging. its the largest one that I have ever found.
  5. Dave Boyle Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    That's cool, gross and huge,

The other day while rocklifting with my kids at Golden Gdns saw we the tail of one at ~1", we dug dug it out thinking it would be 3-4 " and it ended up ~12" but nothing like the one pictured. One thing that was bit odd was I was expecting a big pair of pincers to come out of it's mouth whne handling it, while a big polychaete worm it was fairly benign in terms of this. The white/silver and especially king ragworms as I knew them in my bait fishing days in the UK were a real challenge trying to feed/rope onto your hook. Unsurprisingly they didn't like it at all and would have these pretty big jaws that would shoot out of the mouth (an eversible proboscis) and try to pinch your fingers trying to stuff their head over the hook or down the shank; the king bites could hurt a bit.

Dave
    Beachmen likes this.
  6. Beachmen Active Member

Port Orchard
    as far as the polychetes mouth they shoot out almost like a leach and a round mouth. from what I have seen.
  7. Patrick Allen Active Member

Bothell,WA
    Ratings: +177 / 0
    I am anxiously waiting to see how you replicate that thing in fly form!

SCARBOO
  8. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +465 / 0
    Definitely a worm of some kind but is it a polychaete? The usual descripition of a polychaete worm includes a pair of parapodia (fleshy lateral projections at each segment) each parapodium equipped with several setae (bristles, hence the common name bristle worm). Here's a picture of an 18-inch polychaete from the beach at Indian Island. 1-IMG_0457.JPG
    Bob Triggs and Beachmen like this.
  9. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +707 / 0
    Cool "worm"!

As I recall there are literally several hundred (400 to 500) of the so-called "ribbon" worms found on marine beaches world wide. While most of those species are of the size that we typically associate with "sand worms" some species can achieve significant lengths. One such species produced an individual that was something like 175 feet long.

Have no idea which species you found.

Curt
    Jim Wallace, Beachmen and Bob Triggs like this.
  10. wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Wallingford, WA
    Ratings: +1,608 / 0
    So we should rename the San Juan worm the Hood Canal worm and use a 3foot version?

We used to catch those on ones like Preston has on surf beaches. You'd take a fish carcasses and tie a rope to it and swing it in the receding surf, like a 1/2 to 1/4 inch of water in the mid-tide zone. You'd see the worm's head pop up for an instant and then sneak up to about where it would be. Upstream you'd wag a much smaller piece of bait and if you were lucky the worm would arch up out of the sand and grab the bait. You had to be super fast to grab it's head without it pulling back, and if you were lucky, you'd get one out. It's really tricky to do. They have beautiful iridescent sheens on them and very strong too...probably a great bait for Surf Perch
    Jim Wallace and Beachmen like this.
  11. Beachmen Active Member

Port Orchard
    that looks like a polychete. the sides give it away hay it looks like it has a lot of little hands that it uses to move fast in the water.
  12. Beachmen Active Member

Port Orchard
    I made a few. I took a full rabbit strip and made 4. now I am going to video fishing them and see if I can catch a src. I bet you if I do the fly will be bigger lmao
  13. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +789 / 1
    Makes me think about those stories of eating raw fish and ending up with a.... never mind.
    Beachmen likes this.
  14. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +241 / 0
    If you click on the image, you do not see parapodia; what appear to be parapodia are sand grains stuck to mucus. The body is smooth. Smalma nailed it, it is a monster ribbon worm (Phylum Nemertea, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemertea).
    While it is hard to identify this individual to species without examining key features, in looking through Kozloff's Marine Invertebrates of the Pacific Northwest, it might be Cerebratulus marginatus (or similar species) ("margin of the intestinal region markedly flattened, general color grayish brown to dark brown except along the lateral margins that are lighter, length usually 50cm to 1m"). Many nemerteans have chemical defenses to discourage predators. Nice find.

Steve
    Beachmen likes this.
  15. Beachmen Active Member

Port Orchard
    I was talking about the one in the jar. but okay I see as min is a ribbon worm. was not sure. I see polychetes all the time and in different colors so I assumed that it was. thanks for the info.
  16. Beachmen Active Member

Port Orchard
    thanks for the correction. and the link. I am taking notes on this. lol
  17. X-rated Death Squad New Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    That thing is awesome!
  18. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +524 / 0
    Just watched that movie 'prometheus' this past weekend.....and yeah....that I would not touch after watching that movie. I do say that is amazing length. :)
    Beachmen likes this.
  19. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +280 / 0
    That's crazy! I had no idea there were worms that big cruising around in the sand!