here we go...steelhead in 5 days

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Will Atlas, May 27, 2008.

1. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

Time to shake the rust off your spey casts and get back out on the water boys. My expectations for this summer have been tempered by last summers incredibly poor fishing in Puget Sound and this winters spotty at best runs. Still, I cant wait to get out on the water. Now, cross your fingers the rivers arent totally puked with snowmelt when they open.

Will

2. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Oh.... to have summer run options. You lucky bastards.bawling:

3. Steven Green

Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Media:
    I'm going on a guided trip on the OP the weekend of the 13th with a buddy for my first attempt at steel, I really hope the rivers have gone down enough by then.

4. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

Pan, you have WAY more steelhead options throughout the year than we do. They may be rusty old stump suckers but they are there and biting a lot more than here.

Anyway, my 2 cents is this June 1st is going to be the best in YEARS with all this water.

5. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    You say a lot of dumb things Jason, but that one takes the cake. You are saying that I have more year round steelhead opportunities in North Idaho than I guy in seattle or Portland? I guess I have to rethink my plans to move back home, because obviously I'm missing something. By the way, I did read what you wrote and understood what you meant. Where should I be fishing May through August dude?

6. HauntedByWaters

Okay asswipe. Nevermind than.

BTW, you seem like one hell of a dick for a Deadhead.

7. Mathew

Mathew Ugly, but happy.

Home Page:
    fight!

8. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    name calling? I thought you didn't resort to that. :eek:

No, seriously. After you calm down, explain your post, I'm truly intrigued. :ray1:

9. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    This will be a better year than last!

I hope.......

10. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    i've been really stoked to get out on a river for some steel in early june after all this lake fishing (which I do love, just looking to mix it up). but after seeing the chocolate milk that are my local rivers at the moment, i came to the realization that i may have to wait longer than i had wanted to :(

11. Copper Jon

Copper Jon What a Jim!

Media:
    Back to the subject, I can't wait either Will being that my first steelhead season in WA was a complete bust. I still pine for my days in Nor Cal (where I kind of knew what I was doing) but am waiting for one of those giant WA chromers to make all those Nor Cal fish appear small. Might not happen for awhile but yes, to have summer run options is very very nice. C'mon steelies! Let's make a decent showing this summer.

12. HauntedByWaters

Yeah sorry :hmmm:......I just don't understand how my first post warrented being called stupid....

I don't know shit about your area.

I don't know any eastside steelhead fisheries besides the Methow.

I only know what you guys say and the pics I see and it seems that if you add up all steelhead (hatchery and wild) and the months you can catch them regularly, you guys are WAY WAY ahead of the Westsiders.

Of course I don't really care, I am always fishing over here for good reasons that I don't like to talk about on the internet. I am personally a native steelhead fanatic and I do alright enough to not even consider moving.

13. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    There are no early summer runs or native winter fish runs here. We get the late fall summers which typically start in Sept. That's it. What you see are pics of these late summer fish being caught in March. You guys have a realistic chance of catching a fresh fish almost every month of the year when the rivers are open. So I would say, no, you don't want to move here if steelheading 12 months a year is what makes makes you tick. Honestly, I'm a little surprised you don't know how the runs work over here...being such an avid steelheader and all.

14. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:
    either way, how far do you have to drive to catch a stelhead jason, 30 minutes? Pan- 2 plus hours? that would be the difference for me, if your into catching steelhead.

15. HauntedByWaters

I am a local-yokel Pan.

16. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Joe, Clearwater is 2.5 hours--- about the same for the methow. I grew up in portland where I could fish about 15 different rivers and creeks within the same distance. I could also choose between 5 rivers after work in the summer from Downtown Portland. Just a little difference..... just a little.

17. Jake Bannon

Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

Media:
    I'll be on my fav stream on the 1st at 0 dark 30, Im not saying where but if you see an older 16ft white koffler with a burgandy stripe say hi.

18. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    It looks like you all will be fishing for them mud fish the way the rivers are now. But name calling???????????

I thought that you all had grown up by now. But I guess I was wrong.

Jim

19. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
    Can't we all get along? Pan does seem a wee bit bitter. But he is right...Idaho has long ago said goodbye to it's early season steelhead.

However I think that if I wanted to have choice steelhead water within easy reach the Snake drainage would still be high on my list. While snake river drainage chrome is a myth, I can find metal from August to April on a fly. That's pretty good IMO, and the summer fish can rip you a new one. Not hot like a 6-AM-Run-to-the-river-in-july-first-cast-equals-a-hookup-chrome-Rierter-brat, but pretty good anyway.

If it were up to me (and I could stand leaving where I live now) I would definitely get closer to the ********* and ***** Rivers. It would have me also near the ********* and ********* rivers for Coho and Redbands respectively.

20. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Not bitter, just Jealous. :D