Here's a solution to the Cormorant problem...ship to CA

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Vladimir Steblina, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +236 / 0
  2. Jay C Member

Kenmore, Washington
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    I used to duck hunt a lot and wished I could shoot them fish eaters.
  3. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,257 / 0
    They can have those nasty, ugly birds. I can't believe they're going to all that trouble for that species. It equivalent to not demolishing a house because you don't want to disturb the cockroach community.
  4. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +770 / 1
    Kalifornia, the land of fruits and nuts....:rolleyes:
    Islander and Travis Bille like this.
  5. Travis Bille Active Member

McKinleyville, CA
    Ratings: +358 / 0
    $700,000 to build houses for those flying shit-rats?
  6. Bob Young Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    Hey, if there is a bounty on Pike Minnows, lets put a bounty on cormorants.
    Islander likes this.
  7. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,033 / 1
    I blame the cormorant problem mostly on the otter hunters. They decimated the otter population. Without the otters the urchins exploded in population. Urchins love to eat the anchor posts of kelp. No anchor points and suddenly the kelp beds are lost. Kelp beds are of course rearing areas for candle fish, herring, young salmon and other prey of the cormorant. Cormorant prey declines, cormorants move inland and discover what the hatchery trucks look like. They are just adapters, quite effective at that. Now loons, don't get me started.
  8. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +236 / 0
    Yeah, I fish a lake in BC every spring. One loon is assigned to every fly fisherman by the loon community.

I suspect all hell breaks loose underwater after I release a fish.

On the otter front.....lots more otters out there now than in 1970. The huge population swings in our ocean populations have to affect the ecology and species populations in the salt water. Not many people are following it.

Did you see the PBS article on star fish populations?? Did not the urchin population crash a decade or so ago??
  9. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,033 / 1

I have read about the star fish population and the urchin population has crashed a bit, but not enough so and nor for long enough to bring back the massive kelp beds and more importantly not for long enough to turn around the ecosystem again for the bait fish. My point was that we never know what tertiary events take place based on our actions. I think it will take a lot to keep the cormorants from following hatchery trucks.