Hickman Fish Taco?

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Paul Huffman, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
    Does anyone have a recipe for the Hickman Fish Taco? Links? It looks like I have the materials from the pictures I've seen. Looks like a body of orange chenille, with a green but, palmered with some sort of hackle, ostrich herl wing top and bottom, flash-a-bou, and a guinea collar. Would you tie these on a tube?

2. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

Paul , I believe they were originally tied on a shank , but I`ve tied them on aluminum tubes as well . The ostrich is wrapped like a hackle , rather than bunch tied top and bottom . They are tied in a lot of different color combos .

Here is a purple one

And here is the man himself talking about the fly . http://www.flyfishusa.com/flies/stl-fish-taco.htm

3. Paul Huffman

Media:
    Home Page:
    Just started dabbling with plastic tubes. Haven't tried aluminum.

Do you wrap the ostrich like a big marabou plume? I heard you can put the ostrich in a dubbing loop, then wrap.

4. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

Paul , the ostrich I`ve been using for this , and many other patterns comes from feather dusters . They are small feathers compared to what you`ll find in most fly shops . The stems are really really thin and flexible , so it`s easy to wrap them like you would marabou . You`ll get a couple of hundred feathers from a duster .

I dye them in the darker colors .

There is no reason why plastic tubes would`nt be suitable .

5. Paul Huffman

Media:
    Home Page:
    That's a good tip. I bet I could buy a few colors of feather dusters or find some shorter feathers at the craft stores cheaper than the big feathers I got from the fly shop that are more suited for intruder type flies. Even then, I trim off a lot of material.

6. drotsma

drotsma New Member

Paul
    The body of the Fish Tacos is Estaz found at most shops and online. Cabelas and others sell "spey hackle" that are small ostrich plumes died to colors and easily wrapped. I have also tied some using a dubbing loop and cutting herl to proper length. I Like the idea of using duster and dying for darker colors. Red color is a sleeper for summer fish! The original pattern uses amnesia for the trailer connection and it is very stiff, try using 20lb backing and color with permanent marker to match body or just use 20lb Berkely Fireline.

7. Paul Huffman

Media:
    Home Page:
    Here's my adaptation with stuff I had on hand. 25 mm Waddington shank with a hook loop of fire line, chartreuse catus chenille butt, ice dub UV red body palmered with pink schlappen, some pink or red flash, big pink ostrich herl in a dubbing loop, collar of pink dyed guinea. Want to do some black and purple tacos next.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Media:
    Last seen in Portland Or. via Tacoma,Puyallup, Wa.
    Good Paul I like them.

9. Paul Huffman

Media:
    Home Page:
    I found some "spey plumes" at Feather-Craft and got some black to try. 2.95 for 10 small ostrich plumes that I can wind like marabou. I want to get some other colors, starting with purple. I like the way they're a little more spiky and more erect than marabou.

Two of these have black schlappen palmered on the body, one with pink. The one in the foreground has a collar of Lady Amherst tail, just to be extra stylish.

I like the idea of fish tacos because they're like half an intruder, not so gigantic. But I need to get out there and see how they fish.

[​IMG]