High Dollar vs. Less Dollar Rods

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Matt Paluch, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    You know what I like better than pointless discussions? Pointless fish photos. After all, a fish photo has just as much chance of settling this silly argument as any post I could make:

[​IMG]

2. Randy Knapp

Randy Knapp Active Member

Jason,

Too tired to do the research but I feel quite confident that I can back up my comments with my choice of inexpensive car versus your Lexus. Remember, the discussion is about performance. While you may get what you pay for, you may still get something of a lesser value than what you think you are paying for.

Randy

3. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz . . . . wake me up when it's over.

4. Gorgefly

Gorgefly Member

Media:
    Agreed....pointless discussion.
    I caught just as many fish with my TFO than after I upgraded to a $500 + rod.
    If you can afford the high end stuff....go for it. Just understand it won't put a single more fish in the net than a lesser priced rod. It just makes you feel better thats all.

5. kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon Jeff B.

I've looked past this thread for the past couple of days because this discussion (or a variance of) has been hashed more than a few times. But tonight at work, waiting for a flight to get back, I got bored and came in for a look-see.....yep, it's kindof a pointless thread. The arguments (breakage rates mainly) for the higher dollar rods just aren't sound...and I'm a guy that generally fishes high dollar rods (because I'm 28 and destitutely single, though I've built and fish St. Croix and Rainshadow rods as well), but I don't start threads advertising it.

When you referred to lower priced rods as, "your lower priced rods..." in your first post in a thread about rod prices, the "elitist" alarm went off in my head. Maybe I read that wrong, but I think that's why most of us are disagreeing with you.

Jeff

6. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    I love it…nearly 50 replies and closing in on 700 views for this “pointless discussion.” And I'll betcha we ain't done yet. Reaction is everything. Fishntie, props for pushing just the right button.

Hardy to Horrocks – use whatever you like and have an opinion about it. Big deal. At the end of the day it’s a damn ‘fishing pole’ anyway. Besides, if we all agreed, this site would get awful boring in a hurry.

BTW, anyone wanna buy my 50 year old Horrocks? Casts like a noodle and weighs as much as a bowling ball…don’t all jump at once…

7. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Media:

Hey, who allowed women on our site. :mad:

(For the humorless, this is called a joke....)

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    What a bunch of bullshit about the price of fly rods. If you want to spend a bunch of money on a rod go to it. Quit asking opinions about which is the one for you. Just go buy the damn thing. The fish you catch doen't care which rod you use and neither do I. Same on the reel and the line.

It is the fisherman that catch's the fish with the way he uses the rod and line. Be it the cheap kind or the expensive kind.

You all need to get out and do some fishing to get off this kick on how much the damn fly gear costs. If you can't afford it quit talking about it..

Sheese.

Jim

9. nb_ken

nb_ken Member

I've never been rich and I've never been poor, but I've been close enough to be mistaken for both.

First of all, this is a fly fishing forum. You're not allowed to plead poverty. Someone mentioned that they're perfectly happy with a $200 outfit -- rod, reel, line -- as if that was the pinnacle of frugality. There have been times in my life where I would have said, "What? You spent $200 on a fishing pole? And you can't even use it as a tool to make money? Wish I was rich like you." I don't think anybody reading this is going to have to make a choice between buying gas or buying food any time soon.

At the other end, if you think a BMW is nothing but a status symbol, then you've never driven a BMW. If you think an L. Kreh Sig is just as nice as a Z-Axis, then you've never fished with a Z-Axis.

It's true that there are some tactile/emotional advantages to owning a high-end rod. They're generally prettier. They have nicer components. There is some snob appeal. But it doesn't end there.

My GLX is the definition of crispness. I can use it to throw 250 consecutive tight loops effortlessly. When I went from a GL3 to a Metolious it took one false cast off my stroke. Over a 10-hour day and 500-1000 casts, that's significant. Does that translate into more fish? Maybe. Maybe not. But it sure makes for a more enjoyable outing.

You can argue that your '94 Corolla gets you to work every morning just like a BMW. But don't try to tell me that it drives like a BMW.

10. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Media:
    I think another factor is: Not everyone would be skilled enough to really take advantage of the performance of the BMW. I mean, if you were just going to drive it to and from work at 35 mph, you wouldn't really even see it's performance. Really, due to it's stiffer perfomance suspension and tight steering, you'd probably like it less than a good Buick. Like most cars, tennis racquets, golf clubs, or fly rods; you've got to be able to push them to their upper limit to really enjoy the "high end" of their design. If you cast dry flies on small streams, many are right, any rod will do just fine. The rod isn't even loading more than 10-15% of it's capability. How would you see it's power or maximum precision? However, if you are casting 70-90 feet in a flat, or sitting in a kayak trying to drop a fly in front of a redfish in a strong ebb tide, or roll casting a heavy nymph rig for steelhead, or casting off the beach for that pink that's "just a little out there", you'll appreciate perfomance. Performance ALWAYS takes better R&D and materials. This ALWAYS pushes up the cost (and yes, so does marketing)....

So, I agree, for a lot of folks, spending $650 on a fly rod would be like a 25 handicapper thinking a new $ 650 driver is the answer....

11. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:

Just in the ways it actually matters :cool:

12. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    Obi - based on the quality of your various posts such as this one, I'm starting to understand why you are having such a hard time finding someone of the opposite sex that will give you the time of day... :eek:

13. Chris Puma

Chris Puma hates waking up early

Media:
    could it be that the GLX has a DIFFERENT action than the Metolious? could it be that you're used to the GLX and you're casting style doesn't adapt to fishing with another series of G Loomis rod? could that be the reason why you are not throwing tight unbelievably sexy loops?

someone who i fished with from this forum told me that he only fishes with stuff he gets for free. that guy has the right mentality. sometimes i feel i'm the only jerk off who pays full price for a rod. almost nobody i fish with pays retail. somehow i feel like i should be laughing at myself for spending so much money on fly fishing crap.

14. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    Speaking of marketing... I think you've been hooked... so to speak :)

15. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Media:
    I'm also guessing that a Buick would serve you just fine. So to speak...:beer2:

16. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

Media:
    I agree as well, but........here is the huge but.........my mom has a 93' Corolla and my gf has a 2006 BMW Z and the BMW has seen countless hours of shop time and my mom is lucky to change her oil every 7,000 miles and has never had a problem. This has also been the results of other BMW owners that I know. They are fun to drive when everything goes well, but you cringe when things go bad and dashboard lights start to come on for no reason. The Z is a fun drive, but I must say the quality of German cars seems to be behind the quality of Japanese vehicles IMHO.

17. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

Media:
    Why would you say such a thing Chad are you worried that your wife/gf might get the notion in her to take a ride on the wildside? Infidelity got you a little worried? Trust me, I have more notches in my belt than you have caught fish!!! Just some food for thought:cool:

18. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    I think they have a word for that.

Oh yeah, DISEASED!

:thumb:

19. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    If that is supposed to be food for thought.... I need to find a way to market it and get rich on the new fool proof diet system. :rofl:

20. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Media:
    Chad, as you probably haven't done many of the actions (types of fishing) I mentioned in the post, maybe your not the best to sharp shoot?