High Dollar vs. Less Dollar Rods

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Matt Paluch, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Dave Hartman is tired of trout

Whitefish, MT
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    That sounds more like a coke fiend.
  2. martyg Active Member

The world at large
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    Well - I have to step into his.

First of all, I think that there are some really nice rods available for not much money. I have casted and fished with them over the period of days or weeks and had a great time catching fish. I have some personal favorite rods that retail for under $200, and I have some personal favorites that retail for over $600.

Second, you will see amazing things continue to happen to lower price point rods in the next few years. We do a lot of design and maunfacturing for big outdoor companies in Asia. Many of our designs are probably sitting in your gear room right now.

Once the Asians are schooled, they can do amazing things, and it will likely continue to erode the high end market. As an example, the best flatwater Olympic racing kayaking in the world come out of a factory in Hangzhou right now. What you will most likley see is that new rods will be introduced at an even more agressive pace to stay innovative, and next year the Chinese equivilant will appear under someone else's house label.

Good? Bad? Tough to say.
  3. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,223 / 0
    Priceless:beer2: Looks like the kind of rod I'd build.

K
  4. JD New Member

Reardan, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Kent,

reference :my previous post
    As the story goes, a guy I work with parents own a rustic resort on the St Joe river.
    They had a friend come to visit and fish this spring who’s an avid fly fisher. He came equipped with his drift boat and the whole nine yards. Upon unpacking he discovered he’d forgotten his fly rods. Of course my co-worker and his family gave the visitor no less than a hard time about coming a fair distance to fish and forgetting his rods. Not one to take this ribbing lying down, he made his own rod and used a spare reel he had packed with the rest of his tackle. Cut a tree branch, knocked the buds and limbs off, duct taped paper clips on for guides and duct taped the reel in place.
    I have more photos and a video clip of the guy landing the fish. However, once a photo is posted on a public forum, it becomes property of the forum and public domain. I do not have the guy’s permission to post photos of him ( his face is present in the rest of the photos), so will not do so.

Putting the fly where you want it s what’s important, how you get it there is all a matter of choice.
    :beer2:
  5. Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Phinney Ridge, Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +116 / 0
    Both my rods (3wt and 4wt) cost less than $40 each....and my two reels were less than $20 each. I've caught plenty of fish with this equipment. Since I mainly fish small streams, I rarely need to cast farther than 30-40ft. Both these rods can cast accurately to that distance. Plus as someone else said, I need the extra $'s for the gas to get my 1997 Jeep Wrangler to the less traveled and fished small streams that I prefer to fish. But I do have some "rod envy" at times when I encounter another angler with "BMW" type equipment. : ) As long as you're out fishing and catching something, it doesn't matter much in my book what you're doing it with and if you can drop $1000+ on a rod and reel, all the power to ya.
  6. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,223 / 0
    Great story and thanks for sharing.

I'm not sure I understand your rationale for not posting your friend's image. Sharing an image online doesn't automatically invalidate the copyright of the original owner of the image, in this case the person who took the photo. If you took the photo, it legally belongs to you and you can do what you want with it.

If you choose to use it for commercial or editorial purposes though, you should probably have a signed model release from anyone in the photo to prevent them from possibly pursuing an action after the fact to prevent you from using their likeness without their permission.

The whole point of copyright protection is to prevent your image from being used without your permission unless you specifically assign the copyright to someone else (usually in writing). Posting it here doesn't void that protection.

K
  7. Chris Puma hates waking up early

stumptown
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    haha. seriously. how do people come up with weird logic like this?
  8. Matt Paluch Member

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +21 / 0
    Chris, I don't know what crawled up your butt dude. Ragging on a guy for being passionate about fishing is pretty ridiculous. I hope you don't treat your fishing partners like that.