High gas prices, what is the 'new' best fly fishing/recreating vehicle?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Denny, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Ron Crawford ===

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Just an idea - think about it a bit differently.

My combo is :

Toyota Prius + Watermaster boat + pay for shuttle service if/when you need it (or use a bike)

I get 45-50 MPG, and the Prius has a ton of cargo room in back - I love it
  2. Brett Angel Member

Sammamish, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Honda Element!

Positives: AWD, tons of room, can sleep 2, good gas mileage, easy to clean, easily tow a drift boat, reasonably priced, kid friendly, Seattle friendly, reliable.

Negative: Looks goofy as hell.
  3. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    I started riding my bicycle to work and that is worth a 2 hr road trip per week.
    Our Subaru Forester gets 24 to 27 mph pulling the boat and 30 mph on the hiway.
  4. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    I had an '82 Subaru gl 4X4 wagon I bought new in '82, and it was really a great ski/surf/camping all 'round rig, except that the seats were unbelievably uncomfortable. They were way too close to the floor, and the backrest didn't fit my back at all. A real back killer. Other than this major flaw, it was a great rig. I got anywhere from 26 to 30 mpg depending on how I was driving.

With 216,000 on my '88 Mazda B2200 P/U, I am starting to look around for a replacement, but I will probably drive it til it drops. 24 mpg average. Was 26 mpg, sometimes even 27 hwy, when I got it with 97,000 on the odometer.
    Runs hot when I tow my 16 foot boat with it, though. Not so much in the cool of the dawn, so I make sure I leave early. I can't haul this at 60 mph when the temps are hittin' 80 without overheating.:beathead:
  5. Dustin Bise Active Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
  6. Kaari White Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +31 / 0

I agree on all accounts. I wish it had a little more ground clearance, less road noise and navigation as an option. They're very reasonably priced at $23500 fully loaded brand new one, but the negatives (particularly in the looks department) keep me from buying one.

Until the economy went south, I was looking to upgrade my vehicle. However, now I'm content with paying $70 to fill up my gas tank of my Exploder 3 times a month. It's paid off and reasonably reliable.
  7. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    You forgot to mention that you can just hose out the back.

Shit! I look goofy as hell! Sounds like my rig! Also looking at used Foresters and RAV-4s, but will have to check on the seats first.

Would keep my beater truck with minimal liability insurance for a work/beach rig. I'm always hauling stuff.
  8. Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I'm gonna end up fixing my dad's old Geo Metro. You may laugh, but it's a great little car that gets great MPG (45-50) and is actually quite capable on the backroads. Along with what someone else was saying about getting nicer cars for cheap....there's some really nice, cheap Cadillacs on the market now. That'd be pretty sweet.
    -Ethan
  9. GATOR9 Hey you guys

Yakima, Wa.
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    Ethan G.

No one is laughing, trust me.
  10. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,226 / 0
    Timely question Richard - especially after last week's announcement that the top-selling vehicle in the US was no longer the Ford F-150 pickup, but the lowly Toyota Corolla.

IMHO, there's two things to think about when considering this question.

First, while it's tempting to consider buying a new vehicle that delivers better gas mileage, it's important to think about how much you'll be paying for that new ride that gets better mileage. As an example, if you own a pickup that delivers 15mpg and are considering selling it to buy a new ride that delivers 30mpg but which costs $10K more than what you'll get from selling the pickup, then you'll need to factor in that additional $10K cost as an offset to what you'll be saving on gas. In other words, you may be saving money on gas but at the cost of an additional monthly payment or hit to your savings account.

I won't bore you with the math or the notion of depreciation, but no matter what kind of vehicle you own, the bottom line is given how popular new high-mileage vehicles now are, there's no free lunch in saving money on a new vehicle.

Second, getting better mileage is just one way to reduce transportation costs. A news article the other day stated that the average two income family now spends over $6K per year just in gas - a major chunk of their after-tax disposable income. Getting better mileage is part of the solution to controlling fuel costs, but so too is reducing the amount you drive. Which is why so many employers are now switching to 4-day workweeks and telecommuting.

Changing your driving habits is just as big a factor as what you drive. That's one of the reasons more and more people are fishing closer to home instead of regularly driving across the mountains to fish the Yak, the basin lakes, Idaho or Montana. Believe it or not, the fishing isn't always better the further away from home you drive. Our sport has always been about a quality experience and for more and more people cost has become a component of the flyfishing experience.

K
  11. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +728 / 2
    My '97 Outback gets 28 mpg combined highway/city and I pretty much drive it as if I stole it. 4 cylinder 5 speed. Pulls my DB or raft without any problems at all and has handled all the launches on every river around the area. Unless I look in my rear view I don't even know there's a boat back there.
  12. Gorgefly Member

Washougal, Wa.
    I love my Outback. IMHO it is the perfect vehicle for fishing nowdays because I get good mileage (26-32), I have all-wheel drive, and it has better ground clearance than many SUV's.
  13. raincityrod Guest

14. Tom Johnston Been around a while

Lala land!
    You could probly tow a small drift boat. Seen weirder vehicles towing stuff down the road.
  15. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    I think those are pretty cool rigs.

What is good gas mileage? I've heard they are in the 19-22 range. I've also heard that there their fairly noisy on the road, which makes sense to the extent they are designed as a pretty spartan rig (probably less insulation relative to others?).
  16. Flayel Like father like son (there's not any beer in it)

Spokane, WA
    I bought a scooter to fight the price of gas. It's an overseas knock-off but it rides good. I can go 60+ mph and get 80mpg or so. For the price I payed for it it wont be long to make up the purchase with economy. I can even take my wife and ride with her on it too very comfortable 2 seater. It fits around 2 cases of beer under the seat also; just strap the pole on the back and go. Only downside is I can't take the kiddos with me, the law says passengers have to be at least five y/o to ride on a motorcycle.

As for the family vehicle we were economy driven there also. Pontiac Vibe a wagon/suv type thing they call it a crossover vehicle. I didnt get the awd model cuz they get about 24-28mph and we get 30-35 constantly without it and with good snow tires and smart driving we get around pretty good in the winter too.

I do have a car for myself that no one really rides in with me; maybe it's how the car looks. It's a 93 VW Fox that hit a deer in the front once upon a time. When I got it I built a monster bumper for the front out of a motorhome axle and some other tubing; very stylish. The next deer will not be so lucky to damage the car nearly as bad :p. that car also gets 25-32 mpg when you go further than 5 miles at least.
  17. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    Which engine do you have? What year Outback? A few months ago there was a similar thread, and I think it was Chris Puma who said his Subaru gets 17 mpg . . . I've heard they are in the low 20's, but that's just what I've heard. I presume your 26-32 is on the highway . . . ?
  18. ChrisW AKA Beadhead

Seattle, WA.
    VW Jetta Diesel TDI Wagon: 40-45 mpg highway. If I could keep it under 55mph (which I can't - Damn turbo! :) ) I could get close to 50mpg.

runs on Biodiesel too

CW
  19. Brett Angel Member

Sammamish, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Without DB about 25, with DB about 15 and it is noisy on the freeway. Not great gas mileage, but for a SUV-like vehicle it does reasonably well. They look small from the outside, but with or without the back seats in there's a ton of room. It is a pretty "thin" rig.

EDIT: After typing this I realized I don't get as good as gas mileage as I thought. I still love the Element though.

20. Calvin1 Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    I went with the Element. It has full time AWD which reduces the mileage from what you'd expect for a 4 cylinder, however, it's still better than what I'd expect from a larger vehicle. The plus for me is that flexibility of the interior. It's easy to remove or fold the rear seats, the front and back seats fold down and create a good platform which accomodates a full size air mattress. That with the privacy curtain create a nice little mobile hotel room. And it does a great job of towing the drift boat.