high plains drifter - getting away

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Drifter, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Just a few pics from my resent trip over east to Gods country!

I have been trying to take better pictures with trees to the side and flowers and all that happy horse-shit so actually put a little thought in some of these pics for once.

The trip was to the great Imnaha river which was running full with spring run-off but man what a trip. also went above the town of Imnaha and took some pictures of the snake river in hells canyon almost straight across from the 7 devils in Idaho. in 1980 I packed into those 7 devils with a friend from Idaho and swore off back pack fishing, guess I should of picked a easier set of mountains for my first fishing pack trip!

IMNAHA RIVER VALLEY
    View attachment 30024

7 DEVILS IDAHO FROM THE OREGON SIDE ABOVE HELL'S CANYON AND THE SNAKE RIVER!
    View attachment 30025

LOOKING DOWN THE CANYON

View attachment 30026

LOOKING UP THE CANYON
    View attachment 30027

SCENERY PICTURES

View attachment 30028 View attachment 30029 View attachment 30030 View attachment 30031 View attachment 30032 View attachment 30033 View attachment 30034 View attachment 30035 View attachment 30036 View attachment 30037 View attachment 30038 View attachment 30039 View attachment 30040 View attachment 30041 View attachment 30042 View attachment 30043 View attachment 30044 View attachment 30045

I took these pictures with my $79 (on sale) pocket fishing digital camera.

2. fly punk

fly punk lunatic trout bum

wow. very nice. great pics.

3. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

One has to love the high country. Thanks for sharing.

4. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

So when were you over Mark? I haven't been over there yet this year, waiting for the river to drop a bit. In Seattle now, will be back to Baker tomorrow and looking forward to fishing now that my arm is recovering from last time!

5. Bruce Baker

Bruce Baker Active Member

Great pics! Thanks for sharing with us.

6. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    Any fish?

7. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Well Jeff I got back late sat. i was meaning to give you a call but as soon as I got there we were loaded-up and ready to go. My friend had a week off the RR and had planed the trip to Imnaha. he new some people with property along the river, in-fact we stayed at the old imnaha grange hall. the bottom was a half basement and when the temps reached 100 it was still 75 degrees. It had a shower, toilet, kitchen,wood stove, and even an old pool table! the upstairs was a dance floor of all knotty pine from the ceiling to the walls and floor, even had a stage for a band.

Our mission was to get his daughters a few spring chinook from the imnaha river. it was their first summer brake from college and they were really wanting to get out of town just like I was.

The fly fishing for trout was tough beings the high run-off made the river a rapid almost the whole way down the canyon. I finally grabbed a gear outfit and helped try and get the girls arms sore! I think the smiles say it all!
    View attachment 30050

View attachment 30051

Bartfly, Skysoldier, Paul_ and 2 others like this.
  8. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Mark:\

Thanks for bringing back memories. Stayed in that area four 4 months doing a study on the last DDT spray in the US. Stayed in an old forest service camp at a place called Sled Springs.

9. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    Albums:
    Mark -

It looks like that photography took a lot more planning than you're letting on. First you had to go in there a couple years ago and burn down the forest, so that the wildflowers would flourish and you would be able to get the landscape views...
    D

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  10. Sagebrush

Sagebrush Member

Great photos Mark, were some of those pictures taken off of Hat Point? Have'nt been there for a few years but really enjoy that area.

11. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Well sage, your right = Hat point above the little town of Imnaha - where a tip of the hat and smile goes a hell of a long way! beautiful drive!

12. Sagebrush

Sagebrush Member

Beautiful drive indeed, and a white knuckle one as well. Its a narrow road and a long way down.

13. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

That smile does say it all.....beautiful fish and looks like it's in good shape for making that long of a trip.
    I'm used to seeing them when trout fishing 40 miles upstream from where you are. Anthony is full of "trophys" right now.....the best pellet-head fishing I've ever had!

14. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Awesome. Great photos of nature and your smiling girls. It simply gets no better than that!

15. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Awesome pictures Mark! We are all lucky to have access to some many of natures wonders here in the NW. Thanks for sharing.