High Sierra Kids

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Robert Engleheart, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Living in the central valley of California, I tend to become jaded with the opportunities nearby. The last 4 years I've reclaimed the steelhead fever I had in my youth and trout fishing has become something to fill in between steelhead seasons. The first heat wave of the season was forecast with temperatures forecast to be in the 106-108 range. The grandsons are out of school and developing an interest in fishing like a pointer on a bird. I decided to take them up to the nearby NP to escape the heat and maybe get a few troots.
    The peaks shown run about 9,000 to 10,000 feet elevation
    View attachment 32578

Had to stop and see a big 'un or two,
    View attachment 32577

Finally got to what we came for
    View attachment 32582
    View attachment 32586
    Working the short game with a 3wt. was fun; been a while and the fish were stupid.
    View attachment 32584
    used 2 rods, one set up with a #14 black ant and the other a #12 stimulator; kept increasing the stimulator size 'till I ended up with a #8, trying to fend off the dinks. Stocking in the Park stopped in the 1970's so these fish are essentially wild.
    Most ran 6-8".While the boys at 6 and 8 years still struggle with the focus and mechanics of casting, they quickly got the idea of dappling and feeding line out downstream.
    View attachment 32581
    View attachment 32585
    Hold 'em gently
    View attachment 32583
    Decided to drop down into the meadow where Brownies dominate
    View attachment 32579
    There are some bigger ones, not surprisingly
    View attachment 32587

Damn!#@$%&*
    Low-holed by Boboo!
    View attachment 32580

My daughter was understandably nervous as Mrs. Yogi was nowhere to be seen. I told her to relax, there were 20 or more people watching Boboo, and half were way older and in worse shape than us. I was confident I could outrun a couple with a boy under each arm. The mrs. soon appeared and obviously was nonpulssed by humans as she strolled through the meadow, grazing on the new growth.
    An excellent day.

2. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Media:
    Great scenery and a fun introduction to fly fishing to your grandsons. Can't start 'em too soon. I had my 2 !/2 daughter out with me briefly the other day to fish a hole or two after we did a short hike. When we got home her Mom asked her if Papa caught any fish. I only caught two but she said "lots". I said "good girl"! We also briefly saw a bear on our trip too but unfortunately it was a near miss on I-90. A big black bear somehow deftly got across three lanes of 70mph traffic by jiving and high stepping around 3 cars and a truck without getting nailed. Glad no one got him, it wouldn't have been pretty.

3. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Very nice Robert!

4. boboo_3

boboo_3 Cool Member

Thanks for sharing.

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Amazing report, great vistas, boys, brookies and browns. You sir have got it all dialed in right. I hope to enjoy reading more and more reports as you and those little explorers keep growing. Thank you for sharing part of your family outing time with us.

6. SteelieD

SteelieD Non Member

Media:
    Nice job Robert. Looks like fun. I LOVE that type of fishing. That is one beautiful park.

7. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Dave,
    I lived in Alaska in the '70's-'86. A grizzly was crossing the Glenn Highway on the edge of Anchorage and was struck by one or more vehicles. It ended up on it's back with an MG Midget high-centered on top of it. As it lay there trying to open up the Midget with it's claws like it were a can of food, the troopers dispatched it with several blasts from a 12 gauge. I hear the driver was petrified and it was pretty hairy to those involved, but I can't get that picture out of my mind.

8. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Media:
    That's a great story and even yet another reason never to own a MG!

9. tediousthumper

tediousthumper Hello My name is Thad and Im addicted to flyfishin

Media:
    What a day! Thanks for sharing!